“Beautiful grounds, average hotel”

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our second wedding anniversary, and while we enjoyed our stay on the whole, there were a few aspects that we had higher expectations of than we received.

On check in, we were shown to the lounge with our bags, rather than them being stored in a luggage room, which unfortunately led to the waitor tripping over them, as there was no where to store them. During our cream tea, the drinks I had pre ordered were not remembered, and those we did order were slow in coming. My husband struggled to gain any ones attention to re order, meaning we had finished all our cream tea before we were served tea and coffee.

We received no information about the hotel on check in, no information regarding breakfast times, locations of restaurants, or the spa, which meant we spent alot of time at reception asking constant questions, for which the information could have been provided during check in.

The rooms were very tired, and very much require a refurb, which I have since been advised by the Hotel is planned for next year. The shower in the hotel room was lacking any power at all, however the bed itself was comfortable, but it would have been nice to have had a temperature control in the room (we found it to be far too hot) and also a few extra pillows in the wardrobe. Turn down service is detailed within the hotel guide, however we never received this, nor saw it taking place.

When using the spa facilities, although not the fault of the hotel, there were a lot children running and jumping into the pool, running around the spa bath, and then they took our towels, leaving us to walk through reception in our swim wear to collect more. Unfortunately it wasn't the relaxing experience we had sought, it may be beneficial to monitor how many are using the facilities, so that it doesn't get too busy, particularly in the changing rooms etc.

We had dinner in the grill, which was a lovely meal, however were disappointed when the £43 bottle of white wine we ordered was served at room temperature, meaning I had to request ice cubes to chill it down - very disappointing to water down a lovely wine, in order to make it a drinkable temperature!!

At breakfast the next morning, again our drinks were not provided until many requests, drinks were not replenished and also my husbands breakfast was served incorrectly, meaning we had to wait for his to be re cooked. This was all done very slowly, and we were left without toast and drinks regularly, it became quite frustrating to keep having to ask for these things.

We also felt that as we were celebrating our second wedding this would have been acknowledged by the hotel, however despite mentioning this at booking, and check in, we received no acknowledgement of this. Other hotels have done this before, and it would have been a nice touch to make our stay more memorable. I probably wouldn't stay here again, as feel its not the luxury hotel that its marketted to be.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ellekali
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear ellekali
Thank you for taking the time to post your review to Trip Advisor. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your stay to celebrate your Second Wedding Anniversary. I will certainly be looking into the service opportunities that we missed whilst you were with us.. Please do feel free to contact me should you be using any other Hand Picked Hotel in the future so that I might personally oversee it for you.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,813)

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The good bits:
Amazing location right in the heart of the New Forest! Very impressive and beautiful building from the outside! When you drive up it definitely has the WOW factor! Lots of wildlife roaming around which my daughter was thrilled with!! Grounds and pond are lovely and definitely worth a wander around! Communal areas of hotel are traditional and the lounge bar is cosy on a winters evening! Spa and pool lovely if a little tiny! (Not much room to change when busy and lockers all full)

The bad bits:
Rooms V. pricey for what you got! Stayed in much nicer for less! £164 per night for small classic double that was looking tired! Wallpaper peeling in room, some furniture chipped and grouting in bathroom needed redoing! TV made loud buzzing sound and no Internet or mobile phone service on bottom floor! Newspaper arrived at 11.30 am first day as we were about to go out and not at all the second day! The food and drinks were good quality but expensive! The service in the lounge bar and breakfast room was very patchy! Good one day, awful the next, think the younger foreign staff let the hotel down (language barrier as others have said was a problem) We had our little girl with us so had dinner in the lounge bar as it's more relaxed, but there was pepper in the salt pot so when I covered my food with pepper by mistake, when I informed the young waiter he didn't understand and offered no apology or replacement! I don't like pepper so my dinner was ruined!!! Another night we tried to order hot chocolate in the lounge bar and was told by one young waiter there was no milk so we couldn't have any! I then queried this with the more experienced Asian waiter as thought it very very strange a hotel that big could run out of milk and he was very accommodating and went and found some milk! Gave up trying to get my toast on our last morning at breakfast as asked twice to no avail! Not good enough for a hotel of this standard!!!

Overall we had a fantastic few days in the New Forest and the location of the hotel and the grounds were stunning enough to outweigh most of these bad points! It's just a shame such a lovely hotel is let down by the service and tired rooms! I didn't see them but If you can afford it I think the superior rooms in the new handpicked part of the hotel are supposed to be much nicer than in the older part!

Ps I can thoroughly recommend the deer sanctuary and woodland walks on the road opposite the hotel and Peppa Pig world if you have little ones!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank 12,589,447

Dear Lee
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor. Please accept my personal apology that we let you down with regard to the service you received in our lounge and bar area. Your comments have been shared with the team and we will endeavour to improve our level of service. I’m glad that you and your daughter enjoyed Peppa Pig World; I have to say its one of my family’s favourite places to go.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed at Rhinefield for a wedding. It is a beautiful venue, with stunning gardens and the front of the hotel is amazing. The food for the wedding breakfast was very good, and the staff at the hotel were incredibly polite and helpful, from the check-in staff to the waiters and bar staff – especially the girl working the hotel lounge bar when we all stayed up a bit longer to enjoy what was left of the wedding day. Whilst I did not get to use the spa, friends of mine did and were happy with the services and facilities on offer.

I did not sleep as well as I would have wanted but the bed is perfectly acceptable. Our breakfast was in the grill room – for guests of the wedding only – which was a nice touch but I do feel that the breakfast was lacking. My partner stayed at the hotel the night before and had breakfast in the main restaurant which he said was cooked to order and the buffet was plentiful whereas ours felt like a little bit of an afterthought with a fairly small selection on the buffet and warm-ish food.

That being said, it is a beautiful hotel in a stunning location and certainly for a traditional white wedding it was perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Kelb14
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review on Trip Advisor. I was really pleased you had enjoyed the Wedding you attended, We are very lucky with our setting and it does make for the Fairy Tale Wedding day. I will pass your thanks onto the team and especially Tilley who was working in the Lounge bar that evening.

Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Lovely location and stunning grounds but you will need a car to get about and taxis very expensive. Service in bar and restaurants left a lot to be desired and in the grill restaurant the service was dire, we had to wait a very long time for our meal and not once were we checked on to see if everything was ok or our drinks topped up. All in all a very expensive meal with poor service. In the bar tables were not cleared and we had to go to the bar to be served all the time. Room very average for the cost.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Parndy

Dear Tania B
I was really sorry to read that you had not received the level of service that we pride ourselves on here at Rhinefield. I have spoken with the senior team with in the Food and beverage department and they too join me in my apology. Please do let me know personally if you are staying at any other of our amazing sister hotels as I would very much like to over see any future bookings you make.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is a very nice venue for a wedding, the food was excellent and the staff very helpful. My room was fine, well equipped and clean. The bed was a little soft for my liking but perfectly acceptable! I would only have two minor gripes, breakfast was served for the wedding party on the first day in a lovely room with attentive staff. The second morning, after the wedding breakfast was provided in a buffet style and in another room which was not as nice. It felt as though the wedding was over and we were being hustled out for the next one. Beware drinks prices as well, 'international level' would be a polite way of putting it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank roderrs

Dear Roderrs
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor. It is always good to get feedback and I was pleased that you had enjoyed your stay whilst attending a Wedding with us here at Rhinefield. I have taken on board your comments about Breakfast the day following a Wedding and have discussed this with my Wedding coordinators.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

We stayed last Friday on the bed to celebrate our wedding anniversary having stayed here for a
night of our honeymoon 27 years ago!
Bed, breakfast and evening meal offer with champagne.
Reception staff were welcoming and friendly.
Room very nice.
All the problems started at dinner - I will review the Armada restaurant under restaurant reviews as don't want to tarnish the hotel itself.
I give the hotel a 4 rating - it's lovely. The grounds are beautiful, setting wonderful.
Breakfast was great - and again staff very attentive.
Needless to say we didn't have a great stay but staff did all they could to put things right.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue K
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Dear Sue K
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review of Rhinefield House on Trip Advisor. I was very pleased to read that you had enjoyed the house and that the staff had been very friendly towards you. Obviously we are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your evening meal and as a senior team we have already discussed the issues you raised with us here at the hotel and again our apologies.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Excellent wedding location! - great staff and excellent pool area with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Food was excellent, both the breakfast and the dinner at the wedding. Great place to stay in the New Forest

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Ross R
Thank you for your comments posted to Trip Advisor. I was really pleased you had enjoyed all of your stay with us from the Wedding itself through to breakfast.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#3 of 7 in Lymington
Montagu Arms Hotel
Montagu Arms Hotel
#1 of 2 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!