“Short break in the New Forest” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rhinefield House Hotel

Rhinefield House Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Chandlers Ford
“Short break in the New Forest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2014

Having been given as a Christmas present the B & B + evening meal + champagne package my wife & I looked forward to walking in the New Forest & a luxury stay. The weather put paid to the former but the latter exceeded our expectations!
The room could not be faulted, the view out into the forest was special, the service was excellent, the main rooms of the hotel were outstanding particularly the woodwork with magnificent carvings.
Having prewarned the hotel of my wife's dairy allergy when we were given the menus hers was as full as the main menue with plenty of choice, a super touch.
Breakfast was very good with excellent local produce, the only criticism of our stay would be to say that dinner did not achive the very high standard that all other aspects of our stay reached. That it not to say it wasn't good, just not very good.

Room Tip: A forest outlook is great.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 February 2014
Dear Bob s
Thank you for your recent review of us here at Rhinefield posted to trip Advisor. I was really pleased to read that you had had such a wonderful time. We always try to cater for our guest’s needs and thank you for pre warning us of your wife’s dietary requirements. Sorry about the weather but hopefully that will give you another excuse to come and stay later on in the year so you can take that walk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Hampshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014

We chose Rhinefield House to have afternoon tea to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We booked the day before and a request for one vegetarian option and one with no onion content was noted with no problem by the helpful member of staff that took our call,

We arrived to find a lovely table set for us right by the window overlooking an ornamental pool with a lovely recessed window seat. The room for the afternoon tea is cosy with plenty of comfortable seating all arranged nicely, there's sofas and chairs for larger parties and winged chairs and small tables for couples and smaller parties.

Service was very friendly and helpful, our waiter, whose name I forgot to note, had a foreign accent and noted our double checked our dietary requests straight away before bringing our coffee/rea order. Our afternoon tea spread following a short while later and looked delicious, Everything is so nicely presented and the service was discreet and friendly. Our waiter asked if everything was okay and to ask him if there was anything else we needed. One of the Managers in the room also came to check whether everything was to our liking, which it was. There was a lovely selection of veggie sandwiches for me and my husband had beef, salmon, ham and tuna to enjoy, the sandwiches were made from a variety of breads, all of which was explained and my vegetarian selection was brought on a different plate, which I really appreciated. The cake selection was lovely - a plain and fruit scone with the biggest bowls of clotted cream and strawberry jam I've ever seen! There were also Viennese whirls, bakewell slices and a lovely chocolate and cream layer cake slice. Unusually, there was also a blackcurrant fool which was a really lovely addition to the selection.

As we were in no hurry to leave, and the staff certainly made you feel you were welcome to stay as long as you like, about 30 mins after we'd finished our afternoon tea we ordered a pot of darjeeling and a pot of breakfast tea. Our waiter then brought us a plate of homemade biscuits - a selection of oat and chocolate cookies and lemon shortbread biscuits.

I can't fault this Hotel, and as we're fairly local we'll drop by for coffee and sandwiches/cake again. We'll probably try out the spa too.

Very many thanks to our waiter who took such good care of us. I hope the Management read this and pass on our thanks to him. Excellent service, excellent afternoon tea and a wonderful setting to enjoy it all in. 5 stars from us.

As others have said, no signal for EE/Orange users, but put your mobiles away and enjoy the atmosphere and lovely views this hotel has to offer!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Elliedoc
Dear Elliedoc
Thank you for choosing to spend your recent Wedding anniversary with us here at Rhinefield. I was so pleased to read you had enjoyed the experience of afternoon tea with no phone to disturb you and I was exceptionally pleased to read that the service had exceeded your expectations. I will certainly be passing on your kind words to David who looked after you that afternoon.
Stonehouse, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

We booked the murder mystery weekend with s company called The Killing Game. We stayed two nights so we could enjoy the hotel and spa facilities. The staff were incredily polite and friendly and the msin dinner on Saturday night was tasty. A beautiful setting for a wedding too. Wonderful to be in the heart of the New Forest, all very atmospheric for a few murders. Will definitely recommend.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JSDB2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review to trip Advisor. That was the first Murder Mystery we have done for a while and the feedback has been really positive so I am really pleased you enjoyed it as well. The House certainly does lend itself to that type of entertainment and I certainly didnt work out who had done it !!!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Visited this hotel last year and boy oh boy what a place.
The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful.
I would recommend it as a romantic getaway to anyone.
The food at the venue itself was also not too bad.
The dinners were very good, all else though was average.
The only gripe I would have is that for the four days I was there, I had no GSM signal for my mobile phone.
This does get frustrating as only certain areas on the grounds will have signal.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank happyhands01
Dear happyhands01
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review to Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing to stay with us during your visit to the New Forest. I was really pleased that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us and please be reassured we are always trying to improve our phone signal strength.
Woodford Halse, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

My Husband and I stayed for three days over New Year. We arrived on 30/12/13 in preparation for the black tie Dinner Celebrations for NYE. The check in was great and we were helped to carry luggage to our room which was fortunate because we wouldn't have been able to find the room under our own steam.
The bedroom was great and is actually in one of the photos on the website. Lovely size, great bed and en suite with seperate bath and shower. TV and radio in the bathroom. The only diaspointment was the standard of cleanlienss in the en suite - dirt in crevices and corners. Attention to detail could have been improved. The toilet was in a strange place, sandwiched between the back wall and the wall to the shower so god help you if you are any bigger than average. Had the rest of the experience been disapointing then the score given would have been three instead of the rating I have given. THe service alone deserved a very good rating and is perhaps the saving grace because the staff we met were wonderful and couldn't have done enough for us.
We ate in the grill room on our first night. The food was great. We both enjoyed rib eye. Sadly we could hear everything that was said in the kitchen as it is open to the audience and it was very obvious that the kitchen were going to struggle to cater for the 30 covers booked that evening. if more than 4 people (including us) ordered rib eye (which was excellent) there would be some explaining to be done. Glad we ate early. We did have a lengthy wait for bread despite persistance from front of house staff.
Breakfasts were great on all three days.
The waiter in the bar area was so lovely. We had afternoon tea on NYE which was OK but nothing exceptional, a little dry around the edges but maybe I'm just a little over picky.
NYE celebrations were enjoyed by all it seemed. We enjoyed most of the food however 1st course and dessert were a little shaky. The evening stared with champagne reception and dinner was served from 8pm. We didn;t finish until 11pm and sadly I'm no night owl so after another drink went to bed. A disco was available for the evening and despite us heading off to our room the music didn't disturb us.
Was it value for money - I suppose it was but the hotel supervisors need to police domestic provision as a priority in my opinion (which afterall.... that's all this is)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Vicky1970
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review to Trip Advisor. We really do value our guest’s opinions and your review was very fair and balanced. I will certainly look into the housekeeping issues and i will certainly pass on your thanks to the whole team for the service you received during the New Years Eve celebrations.
Southampton, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for one night on a romantic break in December. We had booked dinner, bed, breakfast and a massage each. Our stay was nice and actually quite good value for money. The food was lovely and some parts of the hotel are stunning. However, our room wasn't anything special and felt a little like a basic hotel room. I know we could have upgraded, etc but I would have expected something a bit nicer for this hotel. The service was good but as the hotel is so huge it was very impersonal. The setting is lovely and the spa ok but I wouldn't rush back. I think there are far nicer hotels in the new forest.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Hells Bells
Thank you for your posting to Trip Advisor following your stay with here at Rhinefield. We are sorry that on this occasion you did not find us amazing and I have taken on board your comments about the bedrooms and I will discuss these with our design team. I was pleased that you found the food to be very good and that your stay was value for money.
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My now husband and I live in London but decided very quickly after we got engaged that we wanted to get married in New Forest, having spent a lot of enjoyable weekends together there. When we started looking at venues we realised there were 2 routes we could go: somewhere unusual where we could tailor-make every detail, or somewhere with a lot of experience hosting weddings where, perhaps we wouldn't be the first bride and groom to be celebrating there, but which would take care of some of those details for us. Given the huge amount of planning already required (without thinking about napkins and cutlery!), we decided to opt for the latter category. Rhinefield was one of the venues we visited that we felt fit this bill and when we saw the beautiful dining room and gardens we fell in love with it immediately. The huge windows, chandeliers, fireplace and grounds made for an incredible backdrop to our photos and we loved the privacy and flow of the area set aside for weddings, which is quite well isolated from the rest of the hotel and its guests.
We had a church wedding so we were looking for a dinner and reception venue only and, considering the grand setting, I was actually pleasantly surprised by the price and what was included for it. Because Rhinefield is a well-established and very popular wedding venue (our first choice date was already taken over a year in advance), there was not much room to negotiate on the package but we were allocated a planner (Katie) and she did her best to accommodate our requests where possible. In the run up to the wedding we found Katie to be a great help, prompting us to consider things we would never have thought of and always swiftly replying to any emails/questions/changes to our plans. Even more impressive, when our DJ (Tom Burrell) called us less than 24 hours before the wedding to cancel because he wanted to appear on a gameshow instead, Rhinefield came to the rescue telling us to leave it with them and within a couple of hours had found us a new DJ (Martin Lake) who had played the venue before, came recommended and was absolutely amazing on the night. We were so grateful that we could spend that day with our family and friends who'd travelled from all over to celebrate with us, rather than stuck in front of a computer fretting about whether we'd have music the following evening.
On the day itself, we were really impressed with how smoothly everything went, it was like a well-oiled machine. Our planner Katie was on holiday but had handed over seamlessly to another Katie who was totally on top of things. The food was amazing and guests who we'd flagged as vegetarian or non-drinkers came to us later to tell us how nice it was that the waiting staff were aware exactly what their requirements were and made sure they were catered for. Perhaps one of the nicest things was that we were hardly aware of everything that was going on, it all just happened and we were left to enjoy our day with zero stress.
I'd definitely recommend Rhinefield House as a wedding venue, we had the most amazing day full of happy memories. I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank lhtrips
Thank you so much for choosing to have your Wedding day with us here at Rhinefield and what an amazing testimony your review is. Both Katie’s are over the moon that it was just as you had imagined. Many congratulations to you both from us all here at Rhinefield.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Burley
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!