“Lovely weekend away” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Brockenhurst
Halstead, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel through offpeakluxury for my boyfriends birthday for two nights. We were in awe of the location as you drive up through the new forest which was just amazing. The hotel itself is very impressive and the staff were all very friendly. I was a bit disappointed as we didn't get our complimentary upgrade but the room was very nice anyway but the bath was pretty standard and way too small for even me let alone my boyfriend! On our first night we ate at the grill which was lovely though service was very slow even though there was only about 4 couples, we sat down at 8 and left at 11.30! Though they did say sorry for the wait and brought is a sorbet Inbetween starter and main. The next day we had breakfast which was very nice and not small like you get in some places, we then decided to check out the spa which is quite confusing to get to (not many signs) but was lovely once we got there quite small so we had to wait for the jacuzzi quite a bit. Whilst in their we met a very nice couple that advised us that service and food was much nicer in the main restaurant so we were looking forward to our evening meal. We then went back to our room and had room service which was very nice and then went down to our champagne afternoon tea which was included in the package deal I got. It was very busy and obvious that the staff were overwhelmed and they forgot the 'champagne' part but was overall a very nice little tea break. We then had dinner at the armada which was lovely! I'm quite picky about my food and even I was able to find something I liked, it was a lovely atmosphere and the waiters were very attentive we wished we had eaten there the evening before, especially since on checkout it turned out that eating at the grill we only actually got something like £37 towards our meal which I was not told so I ended up paying extra which I was not happy about and when I said that maybe they should make people aware of this they didn't reply which made me think that this was not the first time they've done this-basically even though the armada is more expensive that would have been all included where as the slightly cheaper grill restaurant I had to pay extra! Though we were offered to book both without being told this. This put a real dampener on the weekend for me, but overall was a lovely hotel and we will visit again just not eat at the grill! Would definitely recommend and would say not to visit the swan pub on the corner as you drive through lyndhurst but definitely visit the new forest wildlife park it was a great day out!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Ljarlett
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of us here at Rhinefield to Trip Advisor. I was really pleased to read that overall you had enjoyed your stay with us and i am sorry that there was confusion over the dinner allocation. I have discussed this with our Front Office team so the confusion does not occur with future guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We recently stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights with a group of friends for an annual reunion.
The setting of the hotel in the middle of the New Forest is delightful.
Our meals were good as was our executive room.
But above all we were so pleased with the service; from being greeted at the door and our cases taken for us to our pleasant room; the bar service in the lounge where the on the second night'sour seats were ready and arranged for us and the barman could remember our previous nights order; the silver service in our private dining rooms (which had very interesting decor) which was prompt, efficient yet friendly despite a wedding reception taking place in the hotel at the same time.
Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pat190764
Dear Pat
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor and thank you for choosing to hold your reunion with us here at Rhinefield. I was really pleased to read that it had been such a success and as ever I am always very happy when the team are mentioned for the quality of their service. Thank you.
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

my boyfriend and I stayed at the Rhinefield House Hotel for a night in May. When we first arrived we checked in and got shown to our room, the women at reception was lovely! Our room overlooked the fountains and the view was stunning, the room we stayed in was lovely, very modern. We walked around the grounds and around the new forest for a few hours, there are lots of wild rabbits and horses which are very tame. The breakfast was great! Overall the whole stay was amazing, great staff and a perfect hotel and location!!

2 Thank laura1045
Dear Laura
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of Rhinefield House to Trip Advisor. It is fantastic that you enjoyed your time with us here at the Hotel and indeed out and about in the Forest.
Manaccan, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

My daughter had always said that should she get married she would like it to be at Rhinefield House Hotel.

Well, this wish came true on 24th April this year. She and I planned the wedding with the support and guidance of Katie, one of the hotel's wedding planners.. Thanks to Katie , Richard our Wedding Co-ordinator on the day plus all the brilliant staff at the hotel the day, was truly fabulous, as were you all. (We were exceptionally lucky with the weather as well ! )

The organisation, attention to detail and service were second to none. The courtesy extended was reminiscent of a a bygone age, and at a level sadly lacking in so many other establishments nowadays. We were all made to feel valued and special. Thank you all at Rhinefield.

To anyone looking for a magical venue, beautiful house and grounds, with old world values in terms of customer care then we would without hesitation recommend Rhinefield House Hotel.
Yes.. as you can tell we are very happy with our choice !

Room Tip: Ask for a executive room if you have small children as they are large enough to accomodate travel co...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Forestgirl4
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor and I was so thrilled to read you had enjoyed your Daughters Wedding Day with us here at Rhinefield. It really is a truly magical place to have such a special day and I know the whole team will be over the moon that everyone enjoyed it so much. We look forward to seeing some photos when you have some.
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were so looking forward to our First magical weekend away from our daughter in 2 years- and we were thoroughly disappointed..After reading other reviews i'm Beginning to think we had the worst room in the house. For £240 a night we expected something a little unusual for our special break.It was clean and comfortable- but honestly it felt like a small box standard, soulless,and completely bland room. It is the kind of room you wouldn't pay more than £100 for in a chain hotel. Having got over the shock of the room for the price we'd paid-we thought we'd cheer ourselves up with a drink. But the bar area was pretty soulless too. Not so much chic,cosy and comfortable, more conference room meets hotel lobby. Ok- so it does have a beautiful pond to look out on to one side of the room- but they didn't even bother to put the pond lights on to give it some atmosphere.We asked if there was another bar in the hotel, but were told it was in use for a wedding venue. And thats when we started to realise that there main money earner was obviously weddings and conferences. We went into dinner- a very beautiful room actually, but it was so cold i had to go back to my room and put a jumper on. As far as the food goes- we ate a much higher standard of food at the pub at the end of the road the following night. It really was pretty poor cuisine at the Rhinefield. Upon asking if we could sit in the much talked about 'smoking room', we were told there was a private party in there too. We headed back to the bar only to find we were the only ones in there. Not surprising considering the dreary tired grubby room and the lack of much atmosphere. But with no where else to go on our first night off in two years we made the best of it. Drank like goldfish;) the couple behind the bar were so warm and funny. Infact all the staff during our stay were really lovely, and probably the best thing about the hotel actually.That night we left our stuffed animal on the door as recommended if we didn't want to be disturbed. house keeping tried to come in the following morning no fewer than 4 times. We didn't realise another guest must have taken our animal from the door- probably one of the wedding guests.anyway we didn't get much of a lie in. We also a grumpy tradesman trying to walk in to replace some lightbulbs in our room that i had asked reception if they could sort out the previous day! In short it was an ok hotel but for the price we paid shockingly unspectacular. All the special touches looked pretty cheap ( ie candle holders and plastic plants etc) The food was pretty unpalatable- The staff were lovely- hence we would have been happier having room service in our tents away from the conference and weddings that Rhinefield seem to have sold out too. It just felt like no one really cared anymore about the clearly once beautiful house. would not stay again.

Room Tip: pitch a tent outside rather than getting a standard room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank lara w
Dear Lara W
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us at Rhinefield. I am really sorry that we did not meet your expectations this time and that you had such a disappointing stay. We will obviously review all of your comments internally with the team.
Dover, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Where's do I start! What a complete and utter disappointment, if you want to celebrate a special occasion do not at this hotel. My partners birthday was ruined, it was ment to be one to remember and it was in all the wrong ways, I wrote a review a couple of weekend ago regarding the poor customer service I recieved booking our stay as I had to ring the hotel up 4 times just to get a conformation email. I then spoke to the deputy manager Elizabeth on the phone about my complaint and she promised my partners surprises would run smoothly and we had nothing to worry about everything will be perfect, in a way of apology she said she would organise my partner a few surprises. We Arrived at the hotel on the 30th April. The hotel it's self looks so beautiful outside and inside. most of the staff are very helpful. I booked the Munro suite. My partner wanted to take a shower after having a long drive down, but when entering the bathroom was horrified and disgusted to find thick mould and lime scale all over the shower, looked like it hasn't been cleaned properly for months, I told reception that the it's not good enough especially at the room rate at £295 a night it's really not acceptable, then I was told the cleaner will be up at 7 o'clock this was 5 o'clock at the time of complaint so we couldn't have a shower before dinner, came back up to the room after dinner to find the cleaners have been up to clean some of the bathroom but the mould and scale still present. it was so engrained in the silicone and grout it couldn't be cleaned off, the maintenance team came to the room at 12 o clock the next day. the day of my partners birthday. we was told it would take a couple of hours to fix the problem, we went out for a walk and then had afternoon tea which was good. we had guests come to join is for the afternoon a few hours later, our group retired to our suite for champagne to till find the maintenance team till banging and drilling in the bath room they were in there for nearly 5 hours, at our expense of time being out of the room and being disturbed. We felt that we couldn't enjoy our time in the room with our family, so we all agreed that they would leave early as the disturbance was unfair. Evenings meal in the armada - myself and my partner were the first people to arrive to the restaurant about 7:25, ordered our drinks and meals. 15 minutes Later other people started to arrive and they all recieved their "compliments from the chef". My self and my partner were left waiting for ours after 3 other parties had turned up and already finished theirs. As more people came in. We became less equal to everyone else. We became ignored. We had finished our dinner and had to wait atleast 15 minutes after finishing for someone to collect our plates. Even though there was unoccupied staff in the restaurant but they were continuously waiting on the 'important parties". I had also arranged a birthday cake to be brought out to my partner at the end of our meal. This was a complete shamble, the staff knew full well it was my partners birthday yet they brought the candle lit cake to me and began to sing happy birthday to me. I couldn't believe how embarrassing this was for my partner and myself. In which I had to quickly state "it's not mine it's my partners birthday" which made the staff stop singing and just Plonk the cake in front of my partner and walk off.

Complete utter shamble. Avoid at all costs as my partner didn't enjoy herself what so ever.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
9 Thank TTCLARK
Dear TTClarke
Please accept our apologies that you did not enjoy your experience at Rhinefield House. I know that our Operations Manager sat with you and discussed your issues during your stay and on the day of your departure and did everything within his power to help you with your requirements.
West Sussex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My family & I had a wonderful weekend at this stunning hotel.
Beautiful setting, attentive staff and large spacious bedrooms.
If you are an outdoor family, this is the perfect setting.
Lots of lovely walks & cycle paths nearby.
This can be a busy hotel when there are wedding receptions. However we requested a quiet room which was very peaceful.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank WestSussexBramley
Dear West Sussex Bramley
Thank you for your recent posting to Trip Advisor following your recent stay with us here at Rhinefield. I was really pleased that your family got out and about in the Forest; it really is magnificent and so worth the time to explore.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brockenhurst
Chewton Glen Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Burley
The Beaulieu Hotel
The Beaulieu Hotel
#2 of 3 in Beaulieu

Been to Rhinefield House Hotel? Share your experiences!