Rhinefield House Hotel
Hotels.com
Balmer Lawn(Brockenhurst)
US$278
  • Pool
Cottage Lodge Hotel(Brockenhurst)(Great Value!)
US$107
  • Restaurant
Forest Park Hotel(Brockenhurst)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,890 results
All reviewsthe grillarmada restaurantexecutive roomafternoon teaalhambra roomwalker suitehandpicked hotelshand picked hotelstimeshare apartmentsgrand hallheron suitenew forestlounge barornamental drivehealth clubclassic roomstunning grounds
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We came her for 1 night to celebrate our anniversary. The grounds are beautiful although the pool was a little too murky for my liking. Other people swam in it but I refrained due to the brownie colour. The staff are extremely helpful and accommodating. We had a suite which was massive and very comfortable and had all the mad cons you needed including the TV in the wall at the end of the bath. If you are dependant on WiFi then be warned that it is intermittent,
The food was great and Caesar who works in the Grill restaurant was brilliant.
I had an Elemis facial with Jess who was also very professional and gave me an excellent treatment. The Spa is very small, so if you looking for a Spa Day, it wont have enough for you to do.
All in all a lovely old building in a stunning setting with great food and drink. The Eggs Benedict at breakfast were possibly the best I have ever had and the Espresso Martini before dinner was also well worth a try.

Room Tip: Heron Suite is fab
1  Thank Honest_Mrs_R
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Mrs R
Thank you for your very positive recent posting to Trip Advisor and many congratulations on your Anniversary. It is always great when our team members are single out as well. I will be sure to pass on your comments to both Caesar and Jess.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Just stayed here over the weekend and I have to agree with the last review, almost left on the first night but then changed from classic room to executive room which was much more spacious and modern and for only £60 more it was well worth it.

The house and grounds are beautiful it would have been nice to stay in the main building as the part that we stayed in was an add-on, basically a new block which could have been any 'travel lodge' type hotel. I find this happening more and more on these types of stately properties and I feel the guests are cheated, unless they are prepared to build an add-on in the same feel both architecturally and with the same aesthetics internally as the period building that it sells itself on then they shouldn't charge the same rate for the rooms as the other rooms in the main building.

The connection between the additional new wing and the old house architecturally was very awkward with lots of different levels. Short corridors with twists and turns, who ever designed it should have been challenged! It could have been so much more elegant and in keeping with the rest of the house but it was just confusing. Another thing that we noticed was the total lack of ambiance in the evening, this house could been so magnificent and full of ambiance if given more attention to lighting design, flowers and music but as it was it was just dark outside, no lighting no music no nothing people just sat in the dark?! The bar was like a sad airport waiting lounge and everyone sat around in dullness simply because they had nowhere else to go or do and it just didn't inspire us to stay for drinks.

The plus side was the staff were great and so was the breakfast and the location is also very good, the fine dining room was very elegant but we didn't eat there as we we're put off by eating in the Grill which was the casual dining which cost over £100 for two for average food and wine plus the grill once again lacked any kind of ambiance the lamps where turned off as if they are trying to save money on electricity. Shame because it's a waste of a beautiful property that could be so much more if they are prepared to invest more in to it.

Room Tip: Make sure the room is in the main house or get an executive room if you don't mind a modern block
1  Thank Jsmatt

Dear Jsmatt
Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed critique of your recent stay with us here at Rhinefield House. It is always good to get the thoughts and experiences of our guests and please be reassured that I will look into all your comments with the senior team here. Please do let me know if you are returning as I would be more than happy to assist with your booking personally and help to get you a room in the main house.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Our stay at Rhinefield House was "nice", but the hotel could be "fabulous". The location is stunning and the hotel itself is beautiful from the outside. Inside there are some really nice communal rooms and some very tired and dated areas that reminded me of an old people's home. Service is mixed, some good, some rather poor and the service at the bar was positively slow. Drinks were expensive, but the white wine warm. WiFi is free, but super slow. The hotel gives the impression that it thinks that it is grander than it actually is. Overall, a little disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bettina H

Dear Bettina
Thank you for taking the time to post your recent review to Trip Advisor and I was very sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations on this visit. I have taken on board your comments and will work with the team to try and rectify your concerns.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We left this hotel after 5 nights with a strange fondness for it, which was a surprise seeing as we nearly left on the first night.

I could have rated this at certain points at anywhere between the lowest and highest. I'm settling for a "Very Good" as there isn't a "Good" and Rhinefield House isn't Average. It's just confused and a little tired in places.

I'll be as fair as I can and won't say anything I didn't share with the staff. I have to give a big shout out here to the Assistant Manger Elizabeth for the professional way she handled all problems and completely turned the situation around from us wanting to check out to actually eventually adding another night on.

I'll explain what we felt about the building. On arrival you can't fail to be impressed with Rhinefield. The long sweeping driveway with the impressive Redwoods leads up to the amazing front view of the hotel. The character and grandeur of the building take your breath away. You then however walk into a tired and shabby reception which (look at the ceiling) is in desperate need of a paintbrush.Our room wasn't ready so we went for an explore and found the layout a little odd. Lots of winding corridors and small rooms. Outside the masonry looked a bit tired especially around the Koi pond where frankly some of it was crumbling and needs some tlc. We went to look at the outside pool and were struck by how intense the smell of chlorine was and the fact that it also looked grubby. Decided there and then that we wouldn't be using that. We also looked at the spa and felt we wouldn't be using that either. It's down below ground and felt a little dungeon like. The pool there is small and it all looked like it had seen better days. Refit or relocate to justify the prices.

We went back to reception and were shown to our room. We were taken to a "Classic" room that we had been booked into. Initial thoughts were it was quite small and sparsely and fairly cheaply furnished. There was the requisite bed, cabinets both sides a small coffee table and two armchairs and a dressing table at the foot of the bed. What immediately struck us though was that the television was above the dressing table so my wife asked the lady who had shown us in "is there no mirror? How do I dry my hair?" to which the lady said "here 's the mirror" and picked up a shaving mirror. Odd start.

When we were left on our own it became apparent how tired the room was. These ones really need some work Rhinefield. I won't go into huge detail as, as I say, the hotel went out of their way to sort things out for us. Suffice to say that at this point the review would have had an awful rating and the photos would have been of the room problems. I think it was compounded by the fact it hadn't been dusted too but for us, it wasn't what we were expecting.

Elizabeth listened to our comments and looked at the photos and agreed it wasn't their usual standard and promised to have us moved next morning so we decided we would stay the night and see the next room before deciding whether to stay on further. We were shown another room in the morning and it was bigger, cleaner and modern feeling. It had a very nice bathroom with separate shower and a TV set into the tile above the bath. Professionally resolved.

I said earlier the hotel was confused. It's the rooms and their furnishings I mean. We have a stunning old building here and then the accommodation is in modern blocks to the side with modern furnishing and fittings all approached by a quite odd corridor which almost feels like a hall of mirrors. To us it felt out of sync and just a chance missed to do something sympathetic.

Anyway I've ended up giving the review a "Very Good" (Good) How? Well, the staff made a lot of it. I've mentioned Elizabeth and I wish we knew the name of one of the waitresses who went out of her way to look after us. She'll know and so will Elizabeth so "thank you - you made a great impression". Pretty much everyone else we dealt with was friendly and good.

Secondly, and important....every single thing we ate whilst we were at the hotel was amazing. Breakfasts were well cooked, plentiful and used lovely fresh ingredients. We had amazing fish in both the main restaurant and the Grill Room. We also had the most amazing mussels outside by the pond one lunchtime. Superb F&B although missing a trick by not having any of the beautiful ales from the surrounding area on tap.

The grounds are beautiful, we enjoyed watching all the rabbits.

Finally the setting of the hotel is just idyllic and so easy to be straight out into the forest and the Ornamental Drive and nearby arboretum. We walked across the moors among the ponies to Brockenhurst to browse the shops and try the pubs. We went to the Arboretum and we also had an amazing walk through the forest across from the arboretum. It was meant to be a walk to Lyndhurst but please Rhinefield, get someone to go and re-write those directions because we followed them and got hopelessly lost and Lyndhurst didn't appear :)

We left feeling relaxed and ever so slightly smitten with the place. If they can sort the niggles and get it all as good as the food, the location and the initial impression then this will be a tremendous hotel. As it is, given our room knowledge etc. yes, we would go again. Rhinefield totally won us over in the end.

Room Tip: The Classic rooms overlooking the pool are the smallest. Other side of the corridor looked ok and the Executive rooms were comfortable.
3  Thank maw0504
Mark D, General Manager at Rhinefield House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear maw0504, thank you very much for visiting Rhinefield and for taking your time to write such a helpful, detailed and fair review. The issues that you have kindly raised are being addressed which will help to ensure that all of our guests are, from the outset, smitten by Rhinefield. I am delighted to hear the positive aspects of your stay and that the "niggles" were resolved professionally. We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future to enjoy another break with us. With very best regards, Mark Dicks.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I went to the Rhinefield to propose to my girlfriend, and I wanted it to be a lovely surprise. We both found it stunning and we both felt that the service was second to none. The atmosphere, surroundings and staff were all superb. From being welcomed by the manager to the attentive Ewa in the bar area, all made it the most special of days. Highly recommended.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Citibadger

Dear Lee W, congratulations on your engagement! Thank you for choosing Rhinefield as the venue for such a special occasion in both of your lives. Myself and the team here are thrilled that your experience was excellent and beautiful, and we hope to be able to welcome you back to Rhinefield soon......have you short listed any wedding venues yet!? With very best regards, Mark Dicks.