“Great little cafe”

Ranked #34 of 58 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Price range: US$4 - US$13
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout
Description: Bongusta is a bright friendly cafe and sandwich bar serving breakfast and lunches to eat in or takeaway. We stock a huge range of hot and cold drinks, breakfasts (try our Heuvos Bongusta with scrambled eggs alongside pan fried chorizo, tomatoes and mozzarella with toast), lunches and sandwich meal deals. We also stock American drinks and sweets including Shaq Soda, Nerds and Twinkies.
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
“Great little cafe”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Fresh prepared food (from breakfasts, paninis, soups, specials of the day), delicious home made cakes and pastries, good selection of teas and coffees and soft drinks and all reasonably priced and served by cheery staff.

Parking can be had directly outside or just a little bit down the road.

Purbeck Icecreams are available and are delicious!

Well worth a visit.

Visited June 2014

newcastle upon tyne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Bongusta - Room for improvement”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

First up, the food itself was good when it arrived. Reasonably priced and decent quality. However, the service was pretty shocking. This is mainly aimed at the owner/manager, to try and avoid the issues we faced.

We arrived around 10.30am on Sun 20/7, and it was, admittedly, busy. We were a group of 6 chaps and expected a little wait for our breakfast. Also, we were taking away so didn't need a seat. We all ordered a bacon/sausage bap and cold drinks. No hot drinks, no special orders - no real effort, I would have thought.

Firstly, the young guys on the counter didn't have much 'hustle'. There didn't seem to be any rush to take our oders and get us served and out of the shop asap with our food (if I had been sitting down I don't think I'd have appreciated 6 burly blokes standing over me in a line for almost 30mins...).

Personally, I would have things like sausages and bacon ready for just the eventuality that people might come in for sausages and bacon on a sunday morning. I have worked in catering in a few different environments, and there is no shame in having things like this on the cusp of preparedness, ready just to be reheated on a hot grill, or kept warm on a hot plate/bain marie. It's not the Savoy Grill.

It didn't seem to be the case at Bongusta. A couple of us were served quite quickly and managed to get out of the baking hot shop with breakfast in hand by about 20mins after entering.

However, two of our party were in there for nigh on 40mins, without a table, on a v hot day. For a bacon sandwich. I can cook a bacon sandwich at home in less than 5 mins. I do not have a professional kitchen or 3 members of staff. I really don't see what the hold up was.

There was a young family in there who were also standing, waiting. They were still there when we all left, despite having ordered before us.

There was a clear need for more staff, better preparation and a little more communication (ie: it would be good to be warned that a bacon sarny could take up to 40mins before ordering it...).

It looked a nice place and the food was good vfm, so it was a real shame that we left Brockenhurst on a bad note after a good weekend camping.

Maybe we just hit a bad day, but I hope the owner can take this on board and build on the good stuff they seem to offer (judging from the more positive reviews).

• Visited July 2014
Tiramoch, Owner at Bongusta, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi there, Sorry about your experience on Sunday. I would like to apologise that your food took so long to materialise and thank you for taking your time to provide us with feedback. We do normally have bacon and sausages ready to go but were caught on the hop by the number of customers which was 50% up on the previous weekend. I will be adding additional staff just in case to the next few Sundays. Thank you again for your feedback.
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were looking for a breakfast and stumbled across this place. It had a lovely atmosphere. He had the full english. He said it was very good, which when translated means... superb to the rest of us!! Coffee was lovely and the staff were very nice. I didnt realise i had overpaid and they returned the money to me. How trusting.
I will be back.

southampton
“Bacon bap served within a minute! Hmm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Visited at 10.30am on 27.05.2014 at the time I was the only one in here. First impressions were good, staff friendly. Ordered a cup of tea and bacon bap and still warm homemade bread pudding = £4.20 (reasonable) I sat down and the bacon bap was brought to me within the minute, it was pale and warm with no colour to it and a lot of fat. The bread pudding was not to my taste as lemon juice and lemon peelings had been added and this was all I could taste unlike traditional recipes which are more cinnamon and spice. Shortly after I finished eating a table of five came in and had all day breakfasts when they had finished there plates were promptly cleared. The waiting staff came over to where I was sat at the window, cleared a few cups and didn't even look at my plate and cup. The used items are still sat there now, having been there for over an hour which is disgusting! The table at the window is sticky all over! Probably won't return, instead of stopping in Brockenhurst next time I will carry on to Lyndhurst to a nicer independent cafe.

Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Great start to our day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped here for brunch on Sunday morning with my nan, mum, sister and sister-in-law on our way to a spa day in Lymington. It got busy after we arrived but we didn't have to wait long for our food. We had 4 full English breakfasts and a breakfast roll, we all agreed how yummy it was and that it was good value for money. £5 for breakfast with toast and a drink, you can't go wrong really. Would definitely go here again.

1 Thank Hayley C