“Disappointing afternoon tea”

Afternoon Tea at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa
Ranked #2 of 2 Dessert in Brockenhurst
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have just returned home after a very disappointing afternoon tea, my daughter bought me a gift voucher for afternoon tea for two and I had purchased one for my friend, so we thought we would all come together. My daughter chose Careys Manor after careful consideration and being told that they could accommodate our sandwich choice.

On arrival my daughter & I were shown to our table in a most uninviting room, in need of updating, no curtains at the window, no atmosphere at all, a bit different to the description on the website ...

"Get comfortable in our cosy lounge in front of a roaring log fire where you will be served a mouth-watering selection of finely cut sandwiches, speciality cakes including freshly baked scones smothered in New Forest Jam and thick clotted cream, all complimented by a large selection of the finest Fair Trade teas and coffee. Who could resist such delicious delicacies?"

We were told originally that if the weather was fine we could sit outside! No option for this was given.

We waited for the other two guest to arrive, they arrived & their drinks were brought to the table, my daugher & I hadn't been asked what we would like, although we did have a glass of water whilst waiting. The waitress asked us what we would like, no offer of different teas etc was given.

The waitress asked us whether we were there for afternoon tea! - didn't feel as if we were expected, even though we had booked.

She asked whether we had an dietry requirements and we told her that we had emailled & phoned on several occasions to organise the sandwich choice. She said ok she would check. We were then presented with the choice of sandwiches we didn't request. We told the waiter & waitress that we had asked for all salmon for one, the other three persons made up of plain ham, egg mayo & chicken salad. They took the sandwiches away to replace them with one finger of salmon - (should have been four) one finger of ham & mustard - (should have been plain ham), three plain ham (correct), three egg mayo (correct) and four cream cheese & cucumber - not requested at all. When we questioned where the chicken salad was, the waiter simply said 'it is there'. On looking the chicken salad was mushed up chicken with possibly mayo, which was disgusting, no sign of salad at all! Due to the language barriers with the waiter & waitress we just gave up, although the waitress did say she would try to speak to the manager, but nothing changed.

The cakes were not homemade, (my daughter works in a hotel and knows full well these are delivered to the hotel and just unwrapped). Maybe the scones were, but were cold by the time the sandwiches were sorted. (Or not as the case may be!)

The whole presentation was disgusting, what happened to the three tier display plates, that is shown on your website? Our food was just dumped on the table on different plates, not appealing to the eye at all.

We still had two of the creme brulee dirty plates left on our table throughout the tea. (Who serves creme brulee as an appetiser, bizarre?)

The staff were totally unattentive, no attempt to refresh our tea which we were drinking cold, the cappacino was cold. No dirty plates were cleared, nobody asked whether we needed anything else.

I could go on, as there was so much wrong with the whole afternoon, I would recommend some serious staff training, both customer service & food beverage service that is worthy of a four star hotel.

None of the tea was... in their words' mouth-watering'. We are totally disgusted that we wasted nearly £80 on this occassion, totally disorganised & no way worthy of a four star service, I have had better service and food quality at my local garden centre. We could put the whole tea together for less than £10 which would be far more tasty & appealing.

Even the receptionist at the end tried to charge us for the tea, even though she had the gift vouchers in her hand!!

If we hadn't already paid for the tea up front, we would have walked out as soon as the tea was placed on the table. I will not be recommending you to anyone.

1  Thank Penny232
There are newer reviews for Afternoon Tea at Careys Manor Hotel & SenSpa

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Afternoon tea did not come cheap but the sandwiches, scones,crème brulee and cakes were scrummy. I liked the way we were offered a box to take to our room with the remaining cakes that were too much at one sitting so nothing was wasted. Ask to have it in the lounge area which has more atmosphere than the Manor Restaurant.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Fine china, typically good English tea time makes it a must whilst staying in the hotel. All freshly prepared and delicious.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Excellent fare. but heavy on the cakes and too few sandwiches, but excellent quality with good range of teas/coffees

Reviewed 1 June 2014

My friend and I chose to round off our visit with afternoon tea, it was a fitting climax to a fantastic stay. They accommodated my friends needs for a vegetarian selection of sandwiches.