Cottage Lodge Hotel
  • Restaurant
Forest Park Hotel(Brockenhurst)
No availability for your dates from our partners
1,165 results
All reviewshonesty barfree cakeparking spacestanding hatexbury roomjames hillsnug bargillies holtbrusher millsmorant roomwilverley roomtea and cakenew forestfresh milkreserved parkingbucks fizzon arrival
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed here for just one night but really enjoyed my stay. The Wilverley Room had a beautiful four poster bed which was extremely comfortable and a huge corner bath with plentiful hot water. There was also a little terrace outside which would have been lovely in warmer months! The snug was charming, very warm with lovely hand-crafted furniture. The honesty bar was a great touch and free cake always goes down well. Took advantage of the room service breakfast which was lovely. Food was still hot and very tasty! Thanks for a lovely stay!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I don't review every place we stay as don't think its always necessary but hope that these comments are helpful to both potential customers and the owner. I love to be able to recommend and make really positive comments but also need to be truthful when things are not quite so good.

On looking on line - the website pictures certainly make it an appealing place to stay, and the recent reviews all looked good so we were looking forward to a better than average B&B.

The good points: Nice warm Snug area, welcome cup of tea and offering of cake, not homemade but a nice gesture.
Cottage atmosphere, with stunning use of local timber for tables in the restaurant/breakfast room and seating in the Snug.
We booked two double rooms - Verderers room - A quiet room on ground floor level at the back of the property and The Exbury - double room upstairs with small balcony overlooking the front of the property.
The not so good points: The downstairs room that we had booked (Verderers - smelt musty as soon as we entered - fortunately my daughter was not concerned as all she wanted was a nice long hot bath, and the bath in this room was a good size.
Being honest: Rather dark room with one window to the rear looking into enclosed courtyard.
The Exbury which was the room we stayed in was located upstairs, at the front of the property - nice size room with more natural light and facing out onto the road. Bedroom area was well lit, with comfortable 5' bed and beautifully crafted bed made from locally sourced forest timber. Lovely sitting area to read and watch TV or open doors onto balcony. Good size bathroom but no window.
Not so good points: lighting in the reading/tv area was poor, and although using low energy bulbs these were particularly dismal making reading very difficult. No wifi available in this room, again, this is something that we personally would choose to have, so is useful to know if this is a requirement for others. To get wifi we managed this eventually in the Snug area downstairs.
The Exbury is not a quiet room, so would recommend a room at the back of the property if you would prefer not to be disturbed by the traffic/re-cycling lorry etc which started at around 7am.(see pics added of the view and proximity of the road).
Breakfast - unfortunately was not as good as we were hoping. My daughter and I had a light breakfast of fruit salad (grapes and chopped up melon) and natural yoghurt followed by toast which was sliced bread out of a packet and not really what we were expecting. On the menu it went to great lengths to say that produce was locally sourced where possible, to be honest the breakfast was "supermarket shopped". The orange and apple juice were basically concentrated fruit juice, which really could have been improved. I know it was not perhaps in season for local fruit, but its not difficult to source juice that is a bit more natural. My husband had a cooked breakfast which again, was very average and pre-cooked as it arrived within a minute of ordering (quick service though!). So nothing special and adequate for an ordinary b&b, but not what we expected after reading about all the locally sourced produce. However, it was not dreadful, just very average, and we weren't particularly hungry as we had been to an outstanding restaurant the night before. (We had been recommended the Pig just outside Brockenhurst, and this really is a restaurant not to miss - food amazing, definitely locally sourced, ambience and service outstanding, we would highly recommend, although you do pay for what you get and as such it was at the upper end of an evening out for us!)
One last thing - which I am not sure was mentioned on the website - the stairs are quite steep and narrow, as you would expect of a property of this age and type, so worth considering downstairs accommodation if a little bit unsteady or find stairs difficult. A comfortable, adequate stay in a convenient location.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quieter as the road at the front is busy. Stairs a little steep in places so may benefit from downstairs rooms if not too agile.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank clipclop62
NewForestFilly, Owner at Cottage Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Thank you to this lady for taking the time to write such a long and detailed review. If you are reading my response I would just like to ask you to be kind enough to read this review along with a couple of others - to get a rounded view of our business. Everyone has different standards and perceptions.

If you come and stay with us I can't promise you perfection. What I can promise you, is safe parking at the front of our building. A warm welcome. Fresh cake and milk included in your room rate. WiFi access in our public rooms (free), clean and comfortable en-suite room - prepared for you with care. A professional prepared breakfast with as many local ingredients as possible.

Best of all I can promise you that wild ponies will walk past the front of the property. Sometimes they keep donkeys, cows and pigs company. The New Forest is a magical place and we are right in the heart of the New Forest village of Brockenhurst. You will be just a few minutes walk from: open forest, three lovely pubs, a number of delightful restaurants (we have our own restaurant - The Fallen Tree) and cycle hire. The train station is just five minutes walk away.

I am delighted this lady enjoyed the 'stunning use of local timber' at Cottage Lodge. We are very fortunate that a local tree surgeon Rob Dyer makes the most beautiful furniture for us from rare or unusual trees felled in the area. The bed this lady slept in was made from an oak that was at least 200 years old when it came down in a storm.

I really wish we had known that this lady needed more light in the evening. It would have been so simple to have brought up another light. We have popped an extra light into the room.. just in case anyone else needs one. If you come to stay with us and you need anything.... just let us know. If it is within our power to give it to you.... we will.

This afternoon I checked the Verderer's Rest - the room her daughter stayed in. The only smell in the room is fresh linen and clean towels. When this family stayed it was January and it had been raining for a few days. This weather makes it difficult to throw open the windows and air the rooms completely between guests. Possibly this was the issue. I will make sure housekeeping are more thorough next time.

We are on a road in a village. It is a small road that goes out into the forest. So it isn't a road with lots of lorries hurtling past. All the windows are double glazed. But, if you are not used to road noise, and you pick a room to the front of the building, you will be aware of it. 7am in the morning is about right for the road to start to have some traffic.

If you are reading this and want to pick a room to the back there is a plan of all the rooms on our website. If you look through the trip advisor reviews you will see that road noise is not a frequently mentioned issue.

It is such a shame this lady and her daughter didn't try the cooked breakfast. They wouldn't have had a chance to try the sausages and bacon from Liz and Ron Lakey at Owls Barn in Sopley, the eggs from Claytons farms and mushrooms from Romsey. This family was served quickly because they picked a quiet time to have breakfast. We employ a professional chef, who uses professional equipment, which means he can cook to order at a decent pace. We got 5 stars from the EHO last time they came to visit. We take food and its preparation very seriously.

I am not sure what else to say about the breakfast except the AA inspectors give it a top quality award every time they come and stay.

The stairs are quite steep and narrow. This is because the building is created from a recycled merchant ship. It would have been trading on the high seas in the 1600's and was decommissioned and turned into a ship in 1650. If you don't want to tackle the steep stairs and you want a ground floor room we have seven. Just look at the map on our website for details of which rooms are where.

My final comment on this review would be that the property is not purpose built. It has grown and developed over the years. So each room is different. There is a good description of each room on our website. If you want to know more we love people who ring and ask questions.

We really hope to have the pleasure of your company.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

My partner and I were looking for a dog friendly, hotel in the New Forest for a romantic week-end and found the Cottage Lodge website. Eco friendly, beautiful looking rooms, lovely breakfasts looked amazing. Booked one of the two dog friendly rooms and arrived as planned Saturday lunch time. We were shown to the room which had a wooden floor, lots of space and a little fenced patio for Jasper my dog to go out into. All good so far. Lovely tea was offered with cake which we duly tried.

Later that afternoon we discovered the 6' bed was two twins zipped together - not in itself a problem - however these mattresses were seriously old and lumpy. The edges of both mattresses were hard and rigid with the centres dipped and soggy........... no way was a good night's sleep going to happen far less a romantic one. We went to reception and I have to say Ursula was wonderful, she offered us the next door room (up some stairs) which was a beautiful, newly decorated room with a new good mattress on the bed. The only trouble was Jasper had to stay down in the dog friendly room (Morant) I understand that new mattresses are being looked into for that room now.

I would certainly stay again but would need to be very clear about the particular room I was staying in.

Room Tip: “Morant is the dog friendly room with the terrible mattresses and Gillies Holt was the beautiful redecorated room with a very good bed (no dogs)”
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Healthtouch
NewForestFilly, Manager at Cottage Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for letting us know your problem and giving us a chance to sort it out. As soon as I heard what happened I went to look at the mattresses. The mattresses on the bed are designed for hotels. The edges are designed to be firm. If I am honest with you I wouldn't describe the centre as dipped and soggy. These mattresses are three years old. What I would say is that when I lay on the bed the springs were softer than I would expect in their support. So I have ordered new mattresses. They are being made to order so will be here in three weeks. In the meantime we have bought a lovely topper to put on the bed. You will be pleased to know that the couple who slept in the room last night had a great nights sleep and were very happy.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed as several times before in our favorite room, The Exbury. We sat at the terrace and saw horses and donkies walking by. The breakfast choices is good and the food excellent. Brockenhurst is a great place to discover New Forest.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were travelling with our dog and so had one of their two dog friendly rooms - worked perfectly. Staff were very welcoming and helpful; snug with free tea/cake and local guides a nice touch. Central location with good access to rest of the forest.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple