“Up there with the best”
Review of The Pig

The Pig
Ranked #20 of 62 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Price range: US$9 - US$22
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Uncomplicated and simple British garden food, true to the micro seasons and influenced by the forest and coast, with the emphasis squarely on fresh, clean flavours.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Had an absolutely amazing lunch here with my wife. The chefs ingenuity with the ingredients ( all sourced within 25!miles) is wonderful, topped off with a superb wine menu. Have honestly been to Michelin starred restaurants that aren’t as good as this place. Service was fantastic as well

Write a ReviewReviews (1,281)

Reviewed 12 June 2018

My partner and I visited here on a Friday night. We had been recommended to try it by a foodie friend.
The whole experience was wonderful from start to finish. The waiting staff were knowledgeable and attentive to detail. The menu prides itself on having a lot of foraged ingredients. So I had a light starter of freshly picked mushrooms and my husband has a lovage based soup. Both were bursting with flavour and tasted outstanding. I had fish pie for my main and the other half had pork loin. Both dishes were perfect. Sadly I skipped desert ,while he had a wonderful cheese board with piggy biscuits. We had coffee and petit fours in the lounge. Perhaps the only disappointing part of the evening was that the petit fours contained coconut and my husband had told them at the beginning of dinner that he was allergic to it! All in all we had a lovely meal and would recommend The Pig for fabulous food with excellent service.

Reviewed 9 June 2018

My wife booked this for my birthday and what a pleasant surprise it was. The whole place has an eclectic feel and a shabby sheik look.
The food is excellent,the staff very attentive and nothing is too much trouble. the sommelier is very knowledgeable and helped with the choice of wine.
Potion size is ok unless you have the tomahawk pork chop in which case make sure you have a big appetite. Overall a little pricey but well worth it for those special occasions.

Reviewed 5 June 2018 via mobile

Ambience: Quaint terranced restaurant surrounded by potted plants and facing lush garden. Rustique mismatched wooden tables and chairs. Glass-like ceiling makes you feel you are inside a greenhouse. Wonderful natural ambiance inside New Forest!

Food: excellent selection of farm-to-table foods in close proximity of the hotel. Carbon foot-print conscious! Everything from seafood to meat to vegetables and fruits. Clean classy presentation of food. More traditional way of cooking that is done well, nothing too experimental. I loved the pork cheek (teeth of piggy attached, beware!)

Staff: efficient and professional. Can be friendlier.

Price: on the high side, worth it!

Reviewed 4 June 2018 via mobile

Chose The Pig following positive reviews from friends.
Arrived early but parking was a nightmare - my husband had to leave his keys at reception after double parking due to no spaces available and had to be called to move later which was an annoyance. The hotel itself is very elegant and is set in beautiful grounds - the vegetable garden is most impressive.
We had no specific choice of table but were given a table in the conservatory which was close to the terrace so in a good position.
We were waiting for family so ordered our drinks which came fairly quickly however on the rest of the party’s arrival drinks were very slow in coming. When the waitress came she was keen to rush our order through, telling us she was off soon although we realised that our table was not required afterwards.
We decided to go for the forest/ piggy bites as a light starter and they were simple but tasty. The main menu was fairly uninteresting, I normally like to have to struggle to choose from lots of tasty options but in this case I chose the one that was least unappealing. For mains my husband had hake which was good, my daughters fish pie was also good but as she said anyone can produce a good fish pie. My daughters partner had pork chop which was not particularly tasty, with strangely flavoured chips and raw turnips which the waitress called al dente but as I said to her there is a difference between edible and inedible. My pork loin was very chewy and not very exciting and my jersey royals were sadly unimpressive and definitely over cooked .
The restaurant likes to boast of selecting rib eye steak from Northern Ireland as apparently there is nothing suitable more locally sourced. Obviously the chef doesn’t have the right contacts, I have eaten superb locally produced ribeye so this smacks of arrogance which I find most annoying.
We decided not to have pudding as it was my daughters birthday and we had cake. The birthday had been mentioned to the restaurant but nothing was made of this and there was no special treatment. The very kind table next to ours sang and wished her happy birthday but there was nothing from the restaurant. After eating we sat outside in the garden and enjoyed the sunshine. The garden is lovely and we really enjoyed relaxing and enjoying our surroundings. However we would not rush back to The Pig. The food is not up to scratch and staff need to learn to treat their clientele with more respect rather than rushing them through and forgetting to get drinks. There are far superior restaurants in the area.

2  Thank BiscuitHampshire