“Pizza al fresco”

Ranked #34 of 61 Restaurants in Brockenhurst
Price range: US$1 - US$27
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Thatched Cottage Hotel in Brockenhurst is a 400 year old thatched cottage in the heart of the New Forest National Park and easily reached by rail and road. Join us for Afternoon Tea or sample a gin tasting flight in the Gin Bar. Accommodation is also available in historic cottage rooms and modern garden rooms.
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We sat in the garden area to have a homemade pizza from the outdoor oven. I liked the mismatched tables and chairs; some seats were just cushions on walls which was fun. I shared a pizza and a salad with a friend and it was extremely tasty. Staff were friendly and cheerful.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We were a party of 11 family members holidaying together over the bank holiday weekend and visited Brockenhurst at lunchtime to meet my daughter from the train.
We were made very welcome by by waitresses, but this was rather spoilt by the less than friendly welcome from the kitchen, which was clearly visible from where we were sitting.
We asked to sit in the garden outside but were told that the garden was closed due to wasps - other people were later served tea in the garden, while we were still in the restaurent eating our lunch, so it may be that they wanted to fill the restaurent first. It was practically empty when we arrived.
The food was really good, although I did ask specifically for sandwiches without butter, to be handed a plate - with the words - "these are the ones without butter", to find thickly spread butter inside. The waitress was very apologetic and told me that she had been clearly told that they had no butter - so they made some more.
My brother who was sitting nearer to the kitchen than me said that he felt really sorry for the waitresses because he could tell that the chef had been in a very bad mood throughout the meal.
What a shame. The food was really good - unfortunately I could not say the same about the atmosphere.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Hi,

Had a cream tea here and it was not a good experience. Plagued by wasps in garden due to poor hygiene and cleanliness, service shabby. Scones stale. Not that great value for money. Beautiful thatched cottage though....

2  Thank travelon144
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I ate here with my three year old on a warm summer evening and had a fine meal in the garden. Service was really friendly and relaxed, and the pizzas were gorgeous, noticeably good quality ingredients and huge. The pizzas were made in the garden in a wood oven and my boy thought it was great watching the chef make the dough and see his pizza go in the hot coals. We only went inside the thatched cottage to use the loo and pay but it is always nice to use a rest room with posh hand soap and fluffy towels, i don't know why, perhaps because it seems to show they are looking after you. The dining room is clearly quirky as it's ancient. I will definitely come again next time i am in Brockenhurst, It's a while since i have been here and i haven't eaten in the Thatched Cottage before as i always assumed it would be really expensive but in fact it was cheaper than the not so good italian round the corner and good value for what we had.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

We went for dinner here on Saturday night, knowing that they only did pizzas - which seems a strange choice on a Saturday night. We reserved a table in advance - the outside area was full so we were glad we had at the time. Tables and chairs are very unstable - benches falling apart. We waited ages for our drinks and even longer for the food. The garlic bread arrived, black around the edges. The pizzas weren't much better - wet in the centre and blackened at the outside. The steak on my pizza was lovely - just a shame they didn't do steak on its own as the pizza was a disappointment. Strawberry ice cream ordered for my 5 year old grandson arrived as sorbet with no explanation or apology.

All in all, a good setting, pleasant staff but the food was disappointing.

1  Thank carol T