“Quiet Tuesday meal for Two”
Review of Il Palio 2 - CLOSED

Il Palio 2
Price range: US$4 - US$56
Cuisines: European, Italian, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Situated next to train station but free parking for restaurant users. We were staying at Cottage Lodge B&B and their info recommended this eatery. Walked in lovely room but only people there at 7pm on a Tuesday. That didn't stop us ordering a crab and lobster pasta dish which tasted lovely served in a fish shaped dish could have done with a side salad but very filling. But managed a tasty large ice cream. One person walked in for meal when we left at 8.30pm. Lovely meal with my new wife but could do with more people in.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have been to Il Palio many times over a number of years and have always enjoyed eating there. However, we visited yesterday 2nd November 2013 and were thoroughly disappointed with the experience. Although the food was OK it was nothing like it has been in the past. I had the Burlomacca as a main course and the sauce was not the creamy, hint of curry I have had in the past but something very watery and lacking in flavour. However, it was not simply the apparent drop in standard of food, it was the service, or lack of which really let iL Palio down last night. Our drinks order was taken fairly swiftly but then we seemed to get ignored. Two other parties arrived quite some time after us and they were promptly served with their drinks. I had to flag down one of the waiters to remind them we were still waiting for our drinks. I pointed out to them that other later arrivals were being served way ahead of us. Our drinks arrived except for the wine. I reminded the waiter that our wine hadn't arrived at that time. Our started arrived, which we finished and still the wine hadn't arrived, I had to again flag down a waiter to remind them about our wine which after this 3rd time of asking was delivered. Main course was served which as I said was OK but not of the standard we had previously experienced. After we finished our main course we again seemed to become invisible to the staff. After nearly 45 minutes I had to flag down a waiter to ask for a desert menu. I didn't feel very valued as a customer and we should not have to keep asking for the sort of service which should be delivered without asking. It looked as though there were only two waiters working properly at this time with two others who didn't seem to understand what was required of them and were just wandering about. Perhaps staff shortages are the problem here. Any way, the place was quite busy so clearly there are people around who can live with this standard of service but we will not be returning which is a pity as we have spent many happy evenings at this restaurant.

1  Thank Idontusuallycomplain
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

I visited this restaurant and found it to a very good standard. The food was excellent and the advice I received from the waiting staff regarding recommendations and choices was excellent. The seafood linguine specifically was superb and I found all aspects of the dining experience here really good. I do have to admit I find some of the negative reviews on here quite surprising...

1  Thank Jon K
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Simple, nice and super friendly Italian opposite Brockenhurst railway station. Good food, child friendly and good value.

Would return.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Following a meal at this restaurant last night my party of 3 and a separate party of 4 have all been ill (sickness and stomach cramps ) all night and today.we have informed the management and they said it could not be there food and were most un helpfull. As all the parties involved had not been together before the meal it would point to this restaurant ! That coupled with There food Hygiene Rating of 1(major improvements needed) ! Will not be eating there again.......very sad as we live in the village.

1  Thank jo p