“nice lunch”

Ranked #11 of 146 Restaurants in Bideford
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 August 2012

When we arrived at our north Devon location and done our shopping we chose to try the thatched inn for a bit of lunch for 3 adults and 4 kids. Nice pub, nice location dogs allowed and nice food. Local ales and very welcoming

Reviewed 7 August 2012

The pub itself is beautiful from the outside and inside is presented very well. If you're going to eat, try and get one of the tables in the restaurant as when we ate, it was very cramped in the bar area with what seemed like, diners on top of each other.

I was hoping for somewhere quaint to enjoy a meal but there was a big screen tv showing the Olympics, the radio being played loudly as piped music and a fruit machine making all sort of noises. Not particularly relaxing,

I had the crab ploughmans which really, was nothing more than a dressed crab with some iceberg lettuce, a few slivers of red onion, cucumber and a sparse serving of tomato. The only way it can see that it qualified as a ploughmans was that it had some pickle and three picked onions thrown in. Perfectly edible but nothing special and quite a price at £12.50 therefore, in my opinion, not value for money at all.

My wife had the gastro burger. Named that way because of the cheese and bacon topping I assume which does not necessarily suggest that it should be named 'gastro' but, hey ho! The burger was only just on the right side of being cooked with lots of juice running from the burger onto the bread which made the bread somewhat unappetising. Its better being cooked than not being cooked properly I suppose but those with a preference for well done meat should stay well clear. That said, again the meal tasted nice.

The staff were perfectly friendly and cheerful, I just feel a bit let down with the ambience as well as the quality and price f the food as it didn't represent value for money to me. I guess that's just about everything really that I wasn't overly impressed with yet I'll still give it a three as I don't think that the place deserves a 'poor' rating.

1  Thank robatshelley
Reviewed 31 July 2012

this pub is amazing ! very friendly staff beautiful garden . and great pub . defently get wat u pay for !

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Visited this pub while on holiday in devon with family after reading the review on here, very nice little country village pub, nice beer garden etc.

On our visit 8 of us ate here, food was quite good (burger was tastless though), chips were excellent.

The only real problem was that not once did anybody try and clear away our empty glasses which kept filling the table even when collecting plates or bringing food over even though we visited when it was quiet. Ended up making numerous trips to the bar myself to make room for us all.

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stopped off with my three sons after a trip to Atlantic Village. I came here before with my wife and sought it out as a definite place to return to.

Situated just minutes from the main A39 its just a fabulous, well run and great value pub. Exceptionally tidy and well kept the management are clearly well organised.

We had probably our best meal this week, what's more it was in all honesty the cheapest too. Great food, great value, a warm welcome and just picture box beautiful.

Thoroughly recommended.