“Superb Dog Friendly Pub!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Thatched Inn

The Thatched Inn
Ranked #9 of 132 Restaurants in Bideford
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Peterborough
“Superb Dog Friendly Pub!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012 via mobile

Dropped into this pub on a Thurs afternoon after searching for a dog friendly pub around Bideford. The staff at the Thatched Inn were amazingly welcoming and although the bar is fairly small we sat with 2 adults, 2 children and our collie and had a really good value pub lunch; lamb, burgers, nuggets etc, all fairly basic but freshly prepared and v tasty. Great atmosphere, great staff, tasty food and best off all def dog friendly. If u don't like dogs there is always the resturant area to eat and this looked lovely too. V reasonably priced too....

3 Thank Pickle-Dynion

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Our visit was an un planned impromptu event on a Saturday night in August . As it was peak holiday season we were not surprised to find it packed out in the restaurant area but we still managed to find a table with comfy seats in the bar.

The Thatched Inn is as expected inside, quite quaint with many passages and quite tight for space but even so it was an enjoyable visit.

My meal was Hunters Chicken which is a chicken breast covered in barbecue sauce, bacon and cheese with chips, peas and a side salad. I have had similar to this before in other places but this was by far the biggest portion and the best chips we have had in any pub. My husbands mixed grill was so huge ( 30 ounces) that we didn't even notice the sausages had been missed off until the waiter arrived with them full of apologies. The plate that contained his food was wider than him!

Being so full he did not have dessert but I chose the sticky toffee pudding with double cream which arrived served in a jug, so much proper cream that I could have lifted it up and drank it!. After the meal I had eaten I couldn't get close to finishing the pudding so my husband forced it down! He declared it to be delicious , just as I had done! It wasn't the prettiest presentation but beautifully cooked none the less.

The real plus side of the Thatched Inn that scored highly was it was clean, smelled nice and despite being packed out the food arrived hot, freshly prepared and very quickly, maybe only 15 - 20 minutes wait.
The only negative was that as it was a very hot muggy night the windows and doors were open so there were several very annoying flies that kept having to be shooed away from our plates. Not totally unexpected in a rural setting. At busy times parking could be an issue as there is not much outside so I would suggest car sharing if possible for a meal out.
Would we visit again? Try and stop me! I believe we can get to the pub by parking at Westward Ho and doing the cliff walk before cutting up through the fields. We will have to give it a try.
If I had to give one or two words of advice I would say book a table if you know you are coming, this is a very popular place to eat.

• Visited August 2012
Orpington, United Kingdom
“Best chips I've ever had!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

I was on holiday in North Devon last week (Croyde Bay) and stumbled upon this place by chance. In fact, it was so good, we ate there twice (lunch both times). Very good food (I would recommend the Cheddar Ploughmans). The chips here are outstanding, honestly, the best I've ever had. We have 2 children (8 & 3) so we always try to eat at places which cater for their picky appetites: this place has a fantastic childrens' menu - and the children's portions were enormous. Good selection of beers/ales as well. If I'm ever out that way again I would definitely go back to this place.

• Visited August 2012
Nantwich, United Kingdom
“nice lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

When we arrived at our north Devon location and done our shopping we chose to try the thatched inn for a bit of lunch for 3 adults and 4 kids. Nice pub, nice location dogs allowed and nice food. Local ales and very welcoming

Visited August 2012
West Yorkshire
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

The pub itself is beautiful from the outside and inside is presented very well. If you're going to eat, try and get one of the tables in the restaurant as when we ate, it was very cramped in the bar area with what seemed like, diners on top of each other.

I was hoping for somewhere quaint to enjoy a meal but there was a big screen tv showing the Olympics, the radio being played loudly as piped music and a fruit machine making all sort of noises. Not particularly relaxing,

I had the crab ploughmans which really, was nothing more than a dressed crab with some iceberg lettuce, a few slivers of red onion, cucumber and a sparse serving of tomato. The only way it can see that it qualified as a ploughmans was that it had some pickle and three picked onions thrown in. Perfectly edible but nothing special and quite a price at £12.50 therefore, in my opinion, not value for money at all.

My wife had the gastro burger. Named that way because of the cheese and bacon topping I assume which does not necessarily suggest that it should be named 'gastro' but, hey ho! The burger was only just on the right side of being cooked with lots of juice running from the burger onto the bread which made the bread somewhat unappetising. Its better being cooked than not being cooked properly I suppose but those with a preference for well done meat should stay well clear. That said, again the meal tasted nice.

The staff were perfectly friendly and cheerful, I just feel a bit let down with the ambience as well as the quality and price f the food as it didn't represent value for money to me. I guess that's just about everything really that I wasn't overly impressed with yet I'll still give it a three as I don't think that the place deserves a 'poor' rating.

1 Thank robatshelley