“GREAT HOTEL”
Review of Durrant House

Durrant House
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bideford
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Fabulous 4 night in June. So easy for our check in, reception so helpful and more importantly full of smiles. Room on the first floor was great, we had good house keeping every day plus breakfast was all that was needed, before we explored the surrounding areas. We took the coast path walk to Appledore. Plus Bideford is only 20 mins walk or catch the bus outside.
Evening meal hot and plenty of choices, staff again could not do enough for us. Will def come back again with friends. No complains lovely Hotel, car parking excellent.

Room Tip: room 142 great
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank charlie682014

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel advertises to have wheelchair access, this could be no further from the truth!
We emailed before to double-check access and got a confirmation from the manager. When we got into the room we discovered the bathroom was so small you could't even get through the door! The manager then tried to put us in the conference room, which had no beds or any furniture. What it did have however was pigeon droppings all through the room and bathroom! Both rooms smelled and had mould around the windows.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Melissa013
Reviewed 13 June 2014

the front of house staff & restaurant staff are very good but the house keeping takes a lot to be
dessiered I was first given what they called the cottage room but to get in I had to go up some very steep staires but once I had said it was not suitable there was no problem in getting
another place T he curtains are not very clean also it sounded like all the floor boards in the
room above were loose by the noise coming from there I was in room 121 so avoied that
room if possible The lift is on the very slow side

Room Tip: avoid room 121
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank littlegordon49
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The lobby area of the hotel is spacious, but has an old fashioned feel about it. There is a small pool with (I assume) fish in it also. Car Park is large. Room I had was fine for a short stay (stayed one night), but it is a dated property. The bathroom looked as if it had had some work done, but the finish was shoddy. The walk to the room was slightly strange, passing in the corridor area a pool table and an iron / ironing board that appeared to be built into the corridor wall!
Unfortunately breakfast was a let-down, not so much for the food, but for the service. I had coffee and helped myself to cereal etc, but after waiting 15mins for someone to come and ask if I wanted anything cooked, I gave up and left.
Reception staff were very good and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank marct0603
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for one night as a stop over for a business meeting and although the staff were all lovely there didn't seem to be enough of them ! We booked a table for dinner when we arrived and went to our room via a weird room / hall walk through with a pool table and a ironing board and iron. The room was ok ish with a huge glass wash basin that seemed to take over the bathroom and a TV that we couldn't get to work. When we went to the restaurant for dinner no staff were present and when someone did appear we weren't booked in but the service was very good after that. Breakfast was faultless. It's a lovely hotel but everything just looked and felt very tired.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank SandieDevon
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I was rather apprehensive about staying at Durrant House. It was my second choice in Bideford as my first choice was fully booked. It looked like a large hotel (by British standards) situated amidst relatively modern development and seemed to lack character in the external photos I'd seen. I had one of the slightly more expensive rooms with a view over the estuary and new Bideford bridge. The room was larger than average with a sofa and the bathroom had an unusual, stylish glass sink. The guests were a mixture of independent guests and coach parties, although coach parties often used a different room for meals. The hotel also hosted functions (I understand from other guests that these could become a bit raucous although I wasn't there at the weekend to witness this). The restaurant rooms had an Edwardian feel, with wood panels and bird prints on the walls. There was a choice of bar style meals or more formal dishes. The quality and range was reasonable. The foyer had a white fountain with a goldfish pool. There was only one small lift, which was adequate whilst we were there but I imagine could lead to a long wait if the hotel was full. There was plenty of onsite parking. All in all, it was a comfortable hotel to stay in.

Room Tip: Specifically book a superior room with an estuary view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My Wife and I stayed at the Durrant on 30th May 2014 and found it to be very friendly and a lovely atmosphere, we checked in fairly quickly and were given a room on the 2nd floor.
The room was very well equipped, clean and well furnished, the bed was very comfortable and lots of pillows and cushions.
We had dinner in the Olive tree restaurant within the hotel and were surprised to find it was very reasonably priced and excellent quality food and the service from the waiter( sorry I never got his name) was impeccable.
Also within the Hotel is a lounge bar where you can also get food served which was very reasonably priced as were the drinks, I would recommend this Hotel for Value,Quality and Service.
We will definitely be returning to this hotel.
I wouldn't say that I am easily pleased but there was a lovely comfy feeling about this place which would suit just about anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Denis K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bideford
Hoops Inn
#1 of 4 in Braunton
Hartland Quay Hotel
Hartland Quay Hotel
#5 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Durrant House? Share your experiences!