Hoops Inn
The Royal Hotel(Bideford)
Durrant House(Bideford)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsfour poster bedthe pubthatched roofmusselscooked beautifullydressing areaopen firejacuzzi bathfamily roomlovely roomsunday lunchsuperior rooman evening mealplenty of hot waterfantastic foodlovely gardenstayed for two nights
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We went to Hoops Inn for a drink on the Friday night and liked it so much we decided to book a table for Saturday night. We did not want to drive on the Saturday and mentioned this at the bar to find out about taxi's. The manager offered to pick us up from where we were staying and drive us back afterwards. He collected us at the agreed time and we had a fantastic evening. Food was excellent and so was the service. All the staff were friendly and helpful. Many thanks for making our weekend.

1  Thank Patricia H
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We stayed for one night on a Groupon voucher and so it was definitely good value. The room was fine and the bed firm and comfortable. We had an excellent meal with good real ale and wine. Breakfast was good too and the staff were all friendly and helpful. The gardens looked lovely and would be a great place to spend time in the summer. Would recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was treated to a two night stay at the Hoops Inn by my lovely lady for my birthday. This place serves some of the best food we have ever tasted. I had the smoked Haddock, poached egg, spinach, and mash on the first night and the Beer battered fish chips the second. My partner tried the meat dishes - Lamb with Samphire on one night with Sausage and Mash the other. I wish i could remember more of the menu but if you want to try any of the meals mentioned, you should recognise them. The food is served with good quantity, hot and with the most amazing tastes. I have eaten a lot of fish in my time, but never, never have I eaten anything with the extraordinary subtle smokiness of the Haddock. Cooked to perfection with a perfect poached egg (egg and fish are strange bedfellows but oddly work well). All the meat dishes were of the same standard, lean and cooked to the specified requirement. I have taken time to search out a supply of Samphire for the spring (when it is in season), and have been happy with the result UNTIL NOW....... Again cooked to perfection, sweet and tender while still retaining the salty taste of the sea. We were catered for as you would expect from an establishment with this kind of reputation. Courteous staff, well trained, well mannered and always a smile. The only reason that I have not given a full 5 out of 5 is because the room that we stayed in (15) was a bit noisy. Not from other guests but from a constant humming (don't know what it was - heating pipe or maybe a fan ?), Other than that small thing, I would definitely recommend The Hoops Inn to anyone wanting a first class stay in a first class Inn, with A1 first class food !!! The locality of the Inn gives the guest every option that you could want for the North Devon coast. Barnstaple, Ilfracombe, Westwood Ho!, Appledore, Torrington, and my favourite place Croyde Bay are all within easy reach. Or you have a wonderful cliff walk (about 3 hours) to Clovelly. Make sure you are fit and able though - 3 hours there - a steep 400 foot walk to the boottom - back up again - and 3 hours back, not for the faint hearted. All in all, I would (and hopefully will) return sometime soon (just not to room 15 !).

Reviewed 25 March 2014

We really enjoyed our weekend here. We were looking for something quiet and relaxing for a quick break. It was perfect. Great location, with a short walk to the coast with amazing views (we were looking for something quite remote!). The food was excellent, the rooms were really nice, and the staff were all friendly, welcoming and helpful. The building itself is thatched, with rooms that are very atmospheric. Our favourite bits were all the little cubby holes we were able to eat in.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

May I compliment all of the staff for the courteous and efficient way that they dealt with us during our recent stay. I only wish I could display my feelings on Booking.com but we booked with you direct and at the last minute.
The food was excellent and our guests were well looked after. The suite was very pleasant indeed, particularly at the reduced price that we were offered. If only all hotels had the same cheery attitude, then even the English weather would be tolerable. WELL DONE!