“Great place to spend a night”
Review of Hoops Inn

and 1 more site!
Hoops Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bideford
Reviewed 26 June 2014

My wife,myself and our dog spent one night at the Hoops on a recent visit to North Devon,our standard room was very comfortable and had everything we needed.The room was clean and the bed very comfortable, both our evening meal and breakfast were excellent.Every member of staff we met were friendly and eager to help,we will definately be returning next time we are in the area

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The food was great, both in the restaurant and in the bar. The bed was comfortable, so much so that - unlike my usual problem - I slept like a log from the very first night! The service was excellent - friendly and making us feel that they really enjoyed having our custom. At first I thought it was slow, then realised that everything is cooked fresh to order, not sat in the freezer and microwaved. I cannot recommend the hotel too highly (I only hope that there will still be accommodation next time we go to the area and that the reviews don't result in it being full up, as it deserves to be!)

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Mum and I dropped in for lunch whilst driving up the Atlantic highway from Bude and found this little gem. Beautiful gardens and amazing food and hospitality - would recommend their Hoops Club Sandwich (enough to share) with side order of Chips (trust me you won't regret it) - intend to visit again before the end if our holiday.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My daughter and myself had a wonderful lunch, menu was excellent, covered a lot of choices. We shared the Hoops Club Sandwich, it was huge, on homemade bread too. Chips to die for, plus a cream tea. The staff were really friendly and chatty. Excellent all round. If you haven't been , make your way there. Can't recommend it enough.

1  Thank carol b
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We arrived on Friday evening and were greeted by the lovely Karen, who could not have been more helpful. She booked us into the restaurant and we went up to our room. I have been lucky and spent many years travelling for work and have stayed in some amazing hotels but walked into room 2 and it was definately a wow moment! The room is charming. Absolutely perfect for a weekend get away. I run my own business and needed a break and time to chill and this was the perfect place to do that. The beautiful four poster bed was so comfortable, we had a beautiful fireplace with a sofa next to it. There was then a couple of stairs that go up to the dressing area with cupboards and dressing table. All lovely furniture. Of that was the bathroom which was stunning. Huge jacuzzi bath and double shower too. The bath was a delight. Eased away all the stresses and strains in an instant.
The menu for dinner is small, but that's not a problem. There is something for everyone. I had the sausages and bubble and squeak cake. Really nice. I was told the sausages were local and they were really good. The service was swift and friendly. We were very well looked after. We then went and sat in the bar and chatted to the barman who was lovely. Very helpful about suggesting things to do the next day.
Breakfast was really good the next morning. All good quality products cooked well. I am a bit of a fusspot but it was all lovely.
We opted for dinner again in the restaurant the following night as the hotel is a little in the middle of nowhere and there is not really anywhere else close by. But also the food and service had been so good that we didn't feel the need to go anywhere else. Again a good meal. Slight issue that my lamb had not been cooked enough but it was sorted efficiently and swiftly with no fuss at all. Another lovely evening that ended up with a few drinks in the bar again.
Every member of staff we came into contact with was so pleasant and helpful. Karen is amazing. She never stops running around making sure everyone is happy. It was a superb little break. Enjoyed immensely. So much so a return visit was booked at checkout. Have a feeling this could be a regular little bolt hole. Looking forward to a return visit. See you on the 29th!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jayneyp24
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Didnt stay in hotel but enjoyed a lovely meal early evening on a saturday. The choice wasnt huge but my husband, fussy son and I all found something we liked. The food was cooked beautifully. Staff were friendly and chatty. Would return.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a voucher deal so it was a good price.
Plus points:
Great olde worlde charm
Good food
Friendly staff when they were there

In need of improvement:

Bathroom in our room; cracked floor tiles and wall tiles, jacuzzi bath that did not work, very roughly done sealant around bath.
Headboard did not fit the bed and was covering the pictures on the wall, (not a problem as they were the cheap massproduced type).

Reception area very poor and had to wait on arrival and checkout for someone to appear.

Refurbishment going on when pub was open; carpentry, drilling etc. no signs warning of disruption. Not the relaxing atmosphere we expected.

Very little vegetarian choices in the pub/restaurant.

Good breakfast but with basic choices only; ie no fruit, yoghurt, porridge, pancakes, kippers etc

SUMMARY

Great potential once the new owners refurbish to a higher standard than at present.

Is miles from anywhere but that will be a positive for some guests!
Definitely need your car unless you plan on hiking.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bideford
The Royal Hotel
Durrant House
Durrant House
#8 of 11 in Bideford
Tommy Jacks Beach Hotel

Been to Hoops Inn? Share your experiences!