“A Special Four Nights on Lundy”
Review of Lundy Island

Lundy Island
Ranked #4 of 37 things to do in Bideford
More attraction details
Owner description: Located off the coast of Devon, this granite outcrop lies between England and America and is famed for its marine reserve.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A Special Four Nights on Lundy”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We took advantage of one of the current special offers which includes the helicopter flights to and from Lundy - SO much better than the Oldenburg because it only takes 6 or 7 minutes as opposed to 2 hours on the boat. I have been many times on day trips and my husband has stayed with mates birdringing quite a few years ago. I thought I was going to rough it but not a bit of it. We had fantastic accommodation in Castle Keep East - we were warm and cosy all the time we were there. The furniture and decor is all specially chosen to be in keeping with the surroundings. There are log books in all the accommodation and ours dated back to 1990 and which make fascinating reading - people are so clever and witty with their remarks. Be sure to read them and I think they should be published! There were only 15 people staying on the whole island which meant we got to know most people and will certainly keep in touch with some. We had excellent meals in the Marisco Tavern each night and enjoyed super company - some played Scrabble (including us) until closing time. The staff are superb and very friendly and accommodating. I would love to stay on Lundy again but I would worry it could never match up to the holiday we have just had.

Visited December 2013
6 Thank Irene W

Devon
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Great for naturalists (and perhaps even naturists too)”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We've visited by boat and by helicopter, and the latter is preferable. The helicopter flight is about 7 minutes. If you go by boat be prepared to feel sick even on the calmest of seas, so if you are a sufferer, take some sea-sick pills. However, the island is well worth a visit. It is possible, if you're a fit walker, to walk from one end to the other, but even if you're not, once you mastered the walk up from the jetty, most of the island is relatively flat. There is a pub with good food, and a few souvenir / confectionery / food shops (well, one actually), a small museum and houses to rent for short stays. We have done that off-season and had a great time.There's lots of bird life, and it is on migration routes so you sometimes get rare visitors. There are also goats and seals.

Visited March 2013
4 Thank downingman
Bideford, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Wow!”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

You have to be fairly good on your feet...but it's a beautiful place. Puts me very much in mind of Lihou island off Guernsey.
There is such an abundance of wildlife and flora and the history of wrecks is something to be curious about...So many!!!?
Also the marine life around its coast. All I can say is GO!

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Hazel D
Bideford, United Kingdom
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“A unique island”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

This is a very special place. If you can stay a couple of nights in a Landmark property you will enjoy real peace and quiet. The only drawback for the non-sailors is the boat trip can be lively but there is a more expensive helicopter option from Hartland Point.
Look at the website for what is to be seen at different times of the year.

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Naishcombe
United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“I'll be back”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I grew up in North Devon and used to see Lundy every day until I moved away about 10 years ago, but this summer finally made the trip. The island is beautiful and I loved every minute of it. Hopefully we'll get to go back next summer and stay a night or two so we can make it right to the end and see absolutely everything! We went early October but the weather was beautifully sunny and warm and it felt like Mid August. There wasn't even a light breeze. Luckily the sea was completely flat and still there and back, someone next to us on the boat said the crossing was the fastest she'd known and she'd been doing it most for 30 odd years. An amazing day and wonderful experience all round, not to be missed. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner!

Visited September 2013