“The hobby that got out of hand!”

Cobbaton Combat Collection
Ranked #11 of 36 things to do in Bideford
Martinhoe, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The hobby that got out of hand!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I'm not particularly a military vehicle buff but found this place very interesting. It is a collection rather than a museum and includes all sorts of memorabilia from several wars. Liked the Naafi snack bar and the imaginative "bunker" toilet block. There's lots of outside space with picnic benches too. The collection is nearer to Barnstaple than Bideford. It's off the beaten track but there are very helpful brown signs every time you think you're going to get lost.

Visited May 2014

Bristol
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Gem of a collection - fascinating!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This place is off the beaten track but I am really glad I found it. I took my mum and my eleven year old here, and although it is a huge collection, all of it was very interesting. It is refreshing to see exhibits as they would be in use and not pristine. All of the cramped vehicles in the hangars made it far more interesting as it felt authentic and every which way you looked there were more things to look at. I thoroughly enjoyed it and I am not usually into war memorabilia, but even the smells of the Second World War were infused into this place and it is certainly humbling to see what conditions were like for those who loved through the war and fought in it. Fantastic! The only sad thing was being unable to go into the garden bit where there appeared to be some more exhibits. I suspect that health and safety might have something to do with it but it is a real shame that we could not go up close to see them. This is well worth a visit and I would recommend it.

uxbridge
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 112 helpful votes
“If you are a war buff you should visit”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Loads of war memorabilia stacked in 3 large sheds. Wrap up warm in cold weather as its a bit chilly.!

Kettering, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“peter”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

I was in the area and found out about this collection from my hotel. As a military history student, it was a no brainer. After touring the area I finally found the place. It was as advertised, a collection not a museum. Very jumbled and tightly parked, the vehicles were very interesting, but could very easily could have been more, by just getting an expert to give more info on each item. The man taking the money was busy on the phone when I walked in. He stopped, took my money, then went back to his call. After walking round, I went back to him and asked questions about colouring of the items. When he realised that I knew quite a bit about military history his attitude changed and we had a long and interesting conversation. For someone without much knowledge, but with an interest, it could be so much more help if there was someone, if not to take you round, at least to answer questions which even the booklet could not help.

2 Thank Peter C
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Touch the action”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

What a great and quirky museum. Unlike other similar places where there are plenty of ropes to keep you as far away as a standard citizen can get to Stonehenge, here, you have to brush against many of the exhibits as you meander around. Of course, some areas can't be touched, but the closeness to everything here makes it seem more real, with a sense of touching history.If you are interested in how our armed forces have lived and fought to keep our liberty over the last century or so,( and you should be !! ), then this is a great place to visit when the weather says no to the beach.

Visited March 2014