“in reply to previous review”

Mariners Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 146 Restaurants in Bideford
Price range: US$7 - US$35
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We will be closed on Thursday 9th, Wednesday 15th and Thursday 16th March. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. Mariners (Formally Lathwells) is a Grade Two listed historic building in one of Bideford's oldest streets. The building dates back to the 1700's. History tells us it has been a Mariners house, an Inn, a sowing school, a private house and now a restaurant. Mariners is small, intimate and relaxing. The table is yours for the evening. Our food is cooked from fresh to order. We pride ourselves on seasonal fish and meat from the Bay Area as far as possible. Our menu changes often with specials featuring on a daily basis. We look forward to meeting you. Booking is strongly advisable to secure a table. We are open Wednesday - Saturday from 6.30pm. Last food orders are taken at 8.30pm.
Reviewed 19 December 2011

I visit Lathwells as often as possible. The critical review i see on here made me write this.
Every meal that i have had has been wonderful, the service faultless.
I have booked again for Tuesday 21st of December, treating my Daughter.

Top food at fair prices in comfortable surroundings waited on by friendly staff.
What more could you wish for?
I recommend this restaurant to everyone ....... and i love my food haha.

Thanks to everyone at Lathwells,, see you at 7:30

Reviewed 8 November 2011

food is good but overpriced. Fairly limited menu, and considering the tiny dining area and less than glam location I am surprised at the cost of the dishes.
The service was actually very good until we were asked if we would like any coffees. On saying we were fine we were then asked if the bill could be brought to us!!! This to me translates as 'please leave now'. Incredibly rude and unprofessional, especially as it was only 10pm (hardly late) and the 7 of us had spent £170!!!!
I would not go back as my custom was not valued.

2  Thank htriley
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We regularly go to Lathwells, where the service is always warm, welcoming and very friendly. A small and beautifully presented 'intimate' type of restaurant. The menu offered is always excellent and the staff and owner will always do anything to help, should help be needed! One top tip, the specials are always delightful and offer a superb variety each week, but you need to eat earlyish, but that is no problem as the main menu is full of delicious meals to tempt, a firm favourite of my husband is the Venison, cooked blue, he says this is really mouth watering. The Chef will always cook the order just the way you like it , you only need to the tell the person who takes your order, and you will be assured of a delightful evening and delicious meal. What I also reall like apart from the excellent food, is that they really do source their ingredients locally, and can tell you about all of their suppliers, the farms etc. I love the little touches they provide, with generous sized starters,and a beautifully presented handmade chocolate at the end, it is these touches and the high quality service and food, that makes us visit our favourite restaurant when ever we can.

1  Thank DevonDelight
Reviewed 6 October 2011

A group of 15 of us booked the very small dining room upstairs the night before the Bideford Triathalon , we had travel from Somerset.... we had pre-ordered from a set menu, starter and main £18.. the menu sounded very interesting..., but exceded all expectations!
I had ordered Wild wood pigeon with blueberry and balsamic dip - pink,tender and delicious. My main was exceptional, ham hock braised with celery/carrots/ puy lentils in wine and cream, perfect and the veggies served with our meal, the best, no overcooked standard veg, braised beetroot, buttered cabbage and sauted courgette. Fresh seasonal and fab! My best meal in a resturant this year!

1  Thank HeyJudedavies
Reviewed 2 September 2011

This is a small restaurant, with a friendly, informal atmosphere. The lady that looked after us was excellent; enthusiastic and knowledgeable. My wife and i shared a starter of skate knobs that were nice, for mains i had red gurnard (catch of the day) and my wife had the fish pie. My fish was well cooked and tasty. My wife's pie just didn't cut it. it was a mush of potatoes, carrots and fish spread out over a plate. They really need to improve this one as it is part of the main menu and fish pie shouldn't be that difficult. The dessert was a nice homemade white chocolate mouse with a dark chocolate "shot". So overall, much that was good but a few shaky bits. It is not that cheap - expect to pay £15 - £24 for a main - which makes it difficult for me to say it is good value.