“dreadful lunch”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Beverley
Beverley, United Kingdom
“dreadful lunch”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I took an elderly gentleman for lunch in Kings Head today and it was terrible! I asked the barman if we could pay separately, and asked for no salad with the gentleman's sandwich. We couldn't give a table number as it had been removed from our table! the barman behaved as though this was our fault. I apologized for all the requests, expecting to hear, 'not at all', instead we got a half smile as if to say, 'yes, you are a pain!' the sandwich arrived, with cucumber in it, dry bread, and a side portion of flabby coleslaw which had started to crust over!! My friend barely touched his sandwich, as you'd guess! The waitress came to ask how it was and I explained the problems, politely, not wanting to make a fuss. She said she'd tell the chef. I expected him to come and apologize or be offered a complimentary drink at least, but nothing further occurred, so we left, distinctly underwhelmed!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank emmaG220

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

We visit Beverley once every couple of months and stay here every time. There is always a friendly face to welcome you and the rooms are lovely and immaculately clean. Breakfast is always freshly cooked to order and delicious. We'll be back again very soon.

• Stayed October 2013
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

After getting and reporting very poor service and extremely over cooked food at the Marston's Kings Head at Buxton, I was contacted by the area manager and advised that I would certainly find the Kings Head at Beverley to my satisfaction.

Thankfully he was right as the restaurant was more modern, the service far quicker and considerate and the food was very good and cooked to perfection.

Had no complaints what so ever, so I can strongly recommend them for a meal. For anyone who hasn't been to Beverley, I can say it's worth a visit and looks like it will be even more so in the near future, as they look to be carrying out a tasteful restoration of the market square/town centre area, which includes a canopied band stand that I hope will see some musical action when its all completed.

Room Tip: The place to eat if you're in the Beverley area.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Beverley
Reviewed 14 October 2013

On seeing several reviews on the kings head,I feel I have to say that as a regular at the kings head, although never stayed overnight , the staff there are exceptional. I have been to so many places where the staff do not bother and are only there for wages that I cannot understand anyone who cannot appreciate the effort these youngsters put in, we'll done Matt and the team keep it up .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

On arrival the staff were very curtious and helpful. They checed us in, showed us around and helped to find a parking space for us. We were there for the races and they got us a taxi with no bother. The room was very clean and comfy. we were in room 6 at the end near to the stairs for the late entry. We heard no noise and had a great nights sleep. Would stop there again. The Breafast was cooed fresh and very nice we had full English.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mr_Clapison, General Manager at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
Thank you so much for your kind comments. We do try our hardest to make everyone's stay as relaxing and easy as possible. We hope to see you again soon.
York
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I'm really sorry but I felt I had to write a review on this hotel.

We stayed over on 13/09/13 for one night and were so disappointed. From the photos it looks like a lovely quaint country pub, however when we came back from our meal out, it looked and smelt more like a Yates' wine bar. However we weren't there to use the bar, it was just a bed for the night.

Unfortunately this is where things got worse. We were staying in room 5 - whatever you do, ask for a different room to this one if you are staying on a weekend. The room is located next to the night door, so people coming in and out when the pub is shut use this door. We must have been staying at the same time as a herd of drunk elephants as they were in and out of the door constantly shouting and singing until 5:30 am with no regard to any other guests.

I appreciate the noisiness of other guests is not the fault of the hotel, however they need to change the doors which slam shut very loudly which is the main thing that kept us awake. Also the window of this room looks into the courtyard, so unless you want to be kept awake from the sound of some sort of machinery or generator until 2am and also inhale other peoples cigarette smoke I'd definitely recommend a different room or preferably a different hotel. I guess if it looks like Yates' and they sell bottles of wine for 7.99 then you're going to attract these types of guests, however I do think the staff - who were very dismissive of this - should look into talking to noisy guests, changing the doors and noisy generator and only using this particular room if the others are full. And hopefully this review will be helpful to others who are considering staying - if we'd have know the type of hotel this was and that we would get pretty much no sleep and not be offered any kind of refund we certainly would stay here again even for free!!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Eleanor B
Mr_Clapison, General Manager at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for your comments with regard to your stay with us on Friday 13th September.

The main part of your issue appears to be noise related. I was surprised to read that you thought you were going to be staying in a "quiet Country pub", surprised because you booked on our website and it would appear that you did not read our description of our location. We clearly state that the rooms "are above our lively bar with a late licence till 2am". We certainly do not try to hide the fact that noise may be a factor or that we are "centrally located". If you read other previous comments made on Trip advisor most mention the noise and even suggest rooms that are quieter than others. We were full on the night you stayed and having reviewed CCTV footage it does appear that an large number of guests did not return to the their rooms until gone 2.15am and all arrived back at the same time. We have numerous signs in the stairwell and on the doors asking for people to be respectful of other guests. Sadly it appears that this was not adhered to that night and the hotel doors were not closed but allowed to be slammed shut.
Upon checking out, your husband mentioned the noise only after he had settled the bill and he certainly did not ask for a discount. My deputy manager Charlotte remembers the conversation with him (she even said what a nice guy he was) and apologised on behalf of the noisy guests and did mention the signs that we have put up to encourage quietness. You go on to describe the staff as "dismissive" . Charlotte is one of the most polite, diplomatic and professional people I have ever worked with and has received countless recommendations on this site alone for her high level of customer service,
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay, if ever in the area again our sister Hotel, The Green Dragon in Welton would perhaps be more suited to your needs.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Stayed here overnight.We have no complaints whatsoever .The staff are so friendly and helpful would not think twice about booking again.The room was small but very adequate. The food was good and the breakfast was as well.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hcwholmes
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverley
Best Western Lairgate Hotel
#1 of 1 in Walkington
The Tudor Rose Hotel
The Tudor Rose Hotel
#4 of 15 in Beverley

Been to Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!