Newbegin House
Ferguson Fawsitt Arms(Walkington)(Great Value!)
US$88
US$107
US$143
US$95
US$76
PremierInn.com
  • Restaurant
Butt Farm Caravan and Campsite(Beverley)(Great Value!)
US$25
Pitchup.com
US$93
High Farm Country Park(Beverley)(Great Value!)
US$27
Pitchup.com
US$96
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
The 5 Eastgate(Beverley)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdrawing roomold houseappleton roomdecanter of sherryrocking horsebeautiful housewalled gardenyorkshire breakfastroll top bathoff street parkingcharming hostsfresh milkthe ownerfruit saladlocal producewarm welcomecomfortable beds
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We had a great time staying at Newbegin House for a weekend, and found Walter and Nuala to be lovely hosts. Having lived in Beverley before, I knew the location is a stone's throw from the market square, making it ideal to see everything in Beverley without any trouble. There were many choices for breakfast, we were particularly impressed with the sausages, sourced locally! Would recommend highly to anyone, above all the stay was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: The Drawing Room was fantastic!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sam M
NewbeginHouse, Owner at Newbegin House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your delightful review. We are glad that when you returned to Beverley, you chose to stay with us.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed our stay. Walter & Nuala ensure everything you require is there for you. Iverson Room has a massive bed, I had thought at the time it wouldn't be firm enough for me, but it was like sinking into the bed to get a great nights sleep. This room has a nice deep bath, if you want a soak.

View over the garden is nice, the garden itself is tranquil.

Slight negatives are;
Laid in the bath, I was listening to a guy in the next room having a conversation on his mobile. One evening there was someone practicing piano then later on someone was practicing singing a few notes, which none the less we could both hear in our bed.
First morning I had the cooked breakfast which was served with some lovely black,pudding ( which I didn't notice on the menu but I do enjoy ), but there was none any other morning which was a shame. One breakfast came with 2 poached eggs, the next day there was just one. There just needs to be that little more consistency.

This house is tucked away, with a 2 minute walk into the town centre, plenty of bars, coffee shops and restaurants to choose from if you want to eat out on an evening.

Walter is the perfect gent and we'd return next time we are in the area and in need of accommodation ( if Walter and Nuala will have us back ).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oggy-Yorkshire
NewbeginHouse, Owner at Newbegin House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

I am so sorry you were disturbed by a mobile phone, piano and singing. My middle daughter was practising for her grade 8 singing exam, which incidentally she passed with merit. I am sorry she was singing after you had gone to bed - I am sure she would not have done so if she had realized.

The walls between the rooms are all brick, the external walls are all 4 or even 5 half bricks thick, and all the floors and ceilings have double joists with an air gap in between, so noise nuisance is a rare occurrence at Newbegin.

Black pudding is not a standard feature on the menu as some guests do not like it. Although it is not listed on the menu, when people stay a few days, I tend to try it out on one day to provide variety. If you had asked for it on subsequent days, it would have been provided. Our breakfasts are substantial and for the main course, we always offer the option of one or two large free range eggs, poached, scrambled or fried, in addition to two lean back rashers and two large sausages from Vanessa's Delicatessen, mushroom and tomato. We also offer six alternative main courses. I am sorry you only received one egg if you asked for two; I must be going deaf! I must bear the heavy punishment of receiving four stars, rather than 4 and a half, like a man.
Walter

Reviewed 11 May 2014

You simply couldn't wish for better hosts than Walter and Nuala. They appear to have thought of absolutely everything for the comfort, convenience and enjoyment of their guests. Their attractive old house is on a quiet street, full of other old houses, just a few yards away from the centre of Beverley - an exceptionally interesting old town.

My bedroom was enormous, and full of beautiful and unusual things. I really appreciated the proper, ground Italian coffee and the fresh milk in the fridge in my room. There were plenty of books of local interest and I found Walter's notes on where to eat, drink and visit very helpful. I particularly liked the working shutters and the wide variety of lighting in the room. The bathroom was faultless, and generously equipped with good quality toiletries etc.

I like a really good English breakfast, and am rather fussy when it comes to the quality of ingredients and cooking, but this was probably the best breakfast I've ever eaten - truly superb both in quality and quantity. I hardly needed to eat for the rest of the day!

If you don't like dogs (I do!) you might be alarmed at the sight of Juno; there's no need to be, as she's even more friendly than her owners, if that's possible.

Being used to staying in London and the south of England, I could hardly believe just what good value Newbegin House is. The wonderful experience you get for your money makes it a bargain of the first order. I'm looking forward to an excuse to stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon R
NewbeginHouse, Owner at Newbegin House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for such a heart warming and encouraging review. It is a delight to have such an appreciative and courteous guest, and we hope to have the pleasure of your company again.

Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Thank you for a lovely stay. We were greeted with a warm smile, pot of tea and slice of Victoria sponge. The room was very comfortable and the breakfast was really tasty. The location is perfect, in the centre of Beverley. Beverley is a pretty market town and the amount of cafés, restaurants and bars has increased since I came last time many years ago. Thank you to the great hosts. I would definitely recommend this B&B.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay so much.

You are right about the increase in the number of cafes and restaurants in Beverley, which is now reputed to have a choice of 70 places for visitors to eat! We have sampled the fare in nearly all the pubs and restaurants, and provide a highly subjective guide to them in each of our guest rooms. There are several good eateries within a few hundred yards of Newbegin House.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We were a couple cycling the Yorkshire Wolds cycle way over the May bank holiday and this was our first stopover. So glad we chose it. What a wonderful, quirky place it is. We were put in the Iveson room overlooking the garden and what a good choice that was. Apart from being very quiet despite its proximity to the road it was very spacious with a lovely big bathroom with a bath
(much needed) and a good range of Bodyshop toiletries. There was a fridge containing fresh milk which was a nice touch and Walter, the host welcomed us with a nice cup of tea on arrival which he brought to our room. A good nights sleep was had by both of us and we went down to breakfast in anticipation as we had chosen from the wide range available the night before. First, a choice of cereals with natural yogurt followed by for me, smoked salmon with poached eggs and for my partner, omelette with smoked salmon. Excellent! There was toast to follow with a good range of local jams. Both Walter and Nuala, his wife, were very attentive and couldn't do enough for us. Walter even showed my partner round the garden the previous evening. I just wished we could have stayed longer but we had to leave for another long day of cycling ahead of us. Walter showed a lot of interest in our cycling and bikes and I certainly wouldn't have any hesitation in returning or recommending this lovely B and B.

Room Tip: Any really but the Iveson room has a lovely view over the garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
NewbeginHouse, Manager at Newbegin House, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Many thanks for your brilliant review.
We are always delighted to welcome cyclists, and are glad you enjoyed your stay so much.