Booked without reading reviews as we were stuck for accommodation on a busy weekend in Beverley and we had booked a cycling holiday round the 'Yorkshire Wolds' Cycle way, every other B&B we tried was full (that fact should have set the alarm bells ringing !!)
On arrival we had to wait for about 5 mins for the manageress to show up after we had rung the bell saying "Ring bell, wait for 4-5 mins and if no answer phone this number....."
After been shown to our room we had to laugh at the comparison to the pictures shown on the website that depicted an almost luxurious room. The room was a hotch-potch of furniture with most having dirty cups marks on the surfaces, a dust covering on most ornaments, broken chairs and a fridge that wouldn't have looked out of place in a 20 year old kitchen. The bath was dirty and there was no towels, cups, tea bags, milk etc in the room.
The spare toilet roll on top of the cistern looked like it had actually been dropped in the toilet, fished out and left to dry!! The 'complimentary shower gel etc' was actually an empty bottle of 'lime source' that looked like it had been there a while. The soap on the sink was a large bar that again, looked like it had gone through a few visitors.
The manageress was pleasant enough and after about 1/2 hour brought the towels, tea bags and mugs up but had run out of milk portions, so returned 15 mins later with a jug of fresh milk. It seemed like she was trying to run the place on her own and as a second job. Later that evening on getting into the bed (with dirty fabric headboard) the bottom sheet wasn't a sheet but a valence trim that didn't fit the bed. We sleep well enough in a very warm room with the windows open which meant a bit of traffic noise from the road outside.
Breakfast was served in the 'Breakfast room' which took us about 5 goes to find the entrance (this involved actually going outside and back in). We just ended up laughing when breakfast was served (by a pleasant enough young girl). Tinned tomatoes that were truly awful (as cheap as you could get I suspect), a small serving of beans, a fried egg, two strips of bacon and an OK sausage. Bread for toast was self service and was positioned on the end of a large table (out of the two available for guests), It was a whole loft that you cut your own slice off, this seemed OK but as there was no holder or napkin provided after I watched 3 people handle the main part of the loaf with their bare hands the appeal of cutting a slice was lost.
The same style of old fridge as in the guest room was on one side of the breakfast room that had an assortment of almost empty butter tubs in it that seemed to contain more toast crumbs than butter. It was so bad that we just had to laugh!! On checking out (ring the bell and wait again) the young girl who served breakfast came through (the manageress had left - probably to avoid the inevitable complaints). We paid cash and there was no change "the manageress isn't here!!" What can we say - we'll read the reviews next time and find somewhere recommended. Such a shame - the location is fantastic just a stones throw from the spectacular Beverley minster but it has definitely fallen on hard times now. The "four star rating" emblazoned all over the outside was awarded in 2007 (god knows how!!). Avoid at all costs !!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Minster Garth Guest House / Beverley Guest House has absolutely nothing to do with Trip Advisor nor the horrible people who generally post such rubbish and hurtful things on this trashy review site. We are the least expensive Guest House in Beverley, run by a Family Team, who strive ceaselessly to improve and maintain our beautiful grade 2 listed town house. The people who offer this unrelated platform and those who post such lies, exaggerations and untruths should be ashamed of themselves. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and Hotel.de so you can book your Beverley Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Minster Garth Guest House Hotel Beverley
- Beverley Guesthouse Yorkshire