“No real problems”

Beverley Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 15 Beverley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Stayed here last weekend for two nights. Both our rooms were clean and comfortable, and plenty of hot water and clean towels . Breakfast was fine. The place is a bit eccentric, but not in a negative or unpleasant way, and none of the other guests seemed unhappy with it. Would stay there again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: It's next to the Minster and the bells chime all night!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank shazzasm

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Was met by a young man who didn't explain to us what time breakfast was or when we had to vacate our room. The shower didn't work when we complained we were told to use the bath the bathroom was full of mould and dust there was extensions leads all over the room breakfast was a laugh burnt sausage and rock hard eggs. No milk on the table for drinks. It advertises itself as a 4 star B and B there was a side entrance to the B and B up some very slippery and dangerous slates steps. Had a very unpleasant stay and would advise anyone not to stay here.

Room Tip: Cannot add a tip to make this a more pleasant experience all I can say is do not stay here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Annette Q
Reviewed 15 October 2013

we stayed here fisrt week october for one night booked a loverly room with sunken bath very nice bathroom VERY LARGE WITH TWO LOVERLY BASINS THE ROOM WAS VERY MODERN AND TASTFULLY DECORATED only one problem SORRY your mattress on bed could do with changing breakfast very nice

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ella2013196
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I stayed in this b&b for 2 months while working in Beverley and I really enjoyed my stay here. In my time here I was living in several different rooms all of which were nice, clean, bright and spacious. In addition the owner gave me a microwave to allow me to make my own meals. All the staff were friendly and chatty, and very helpful whenever I needed anything. My room was also frequently cleaned and early breakfast was provided without any problems so in all I really felt at home here for the duration of my stay and its been one of the nicest places I've stayed on my work away from home. I was particularly pleased with the fridge and microwave in the room as living out of restaurants and pubs for months is a nightmare. many thanks to all the staff, and if im working in the area again im sure i will be back

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nick j
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I visited Minster Garth , arriving early my friend and I did go to the B+B which advertises its self as a 4* on the board outside early. We planned to ask if it was possible to leave our bags early and if the proprietor could advise re parking. There was a note in reception saying Angela would be back in 10 minutes , the board showing the rooms had a picture of a lady standing in the main doorway so we assumed Angela was the proprietor. We waited but being early we left and called back after having a coffee in a lovely coffee shop. This time we rang the number on the note with the expectation of being able to ask as is usually the case at respectable B+Bs for parking advise. My friend was spoken to rudely by a man who then came to reception and threw a parking permit at us, he did not speak and walked off. We were speechless but tolerated this thinking he must be looking after 'Angelas' phone.
But no when we went back after the check in time in trepidation , we rang the bell and waited 10 minutes the note still up that Angela was out. We were shocked that no one seemed to be around especially as we had booked , we had expected someone to great us, show us our rooms and communicate about breakfast etc. Instead a women came down the stairs we asked if she worked there and if we could check in. She appeared surprised and said she would go ask. She showed us our rooms and was very vague when we asked re breakfast ' is 7am ok, I suppose I will be making it' and I also asked if we needed a key to come in later. She told us the doors are always open.
We had a quick look round amazed at the service so far, one of our rooms had a dirty dressing gown hung up, the bathroom had some ones jumper and wash things in it. The rooms were dusty and it had a very strange feel about the place and we actually wondered if it was actually still running as a B+B.
Still no one around when we came back after eating out.
In the morning we went round the building to the breakfast room, which definitely was not clean. This time a young man was there, he did speak and was polite and did offer a cooked breakfast but by this time I was beginning to feel worried, there were grandiose letters on the dining room wall, we were told the proprietor was out and would be back but the young man did not know when. We asked who the proprietor was and he did say he was a man. At no time did anyone introduce themselves or offer communication without first being spoken to.
We went to reception to complain about the service and query the 4 * and 3* for food hygiene all out of date certificates. We were greeted by the young man saying the proprietor would not be back and would ring us. Bizarre we needed to leave so expressed our concerns and left, not really knowing what to do, not wanting to not pay but also not wanting to pay in full for the very poor service.
In amazement I asked a local business man if he knew anything about the place and he did say it had originally been run by the parents of the man who we can only presume was the one who threw the parking ticket at us. We were also told some concerning things which if we had known before hand we would not have stayed there and would not advise any one to stay there .
My friend complained to booking .com who did not seem concerned at all by it being advertised as 4* or by the fact he did not come to reception so we could pay but then took the payment direct from my friends debit card without ringing as he said he would. At no time did he actually speak to us.
Working in the mental health field I could give my opinion but I wont as I do not want any further dealing with such a place. But would strongly suggest not staying there. I only wish the more recent reviews on Booking.com had been on when we booked several weeks ago.
I plan to let the tourist information and trading standards know re this establishment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
11  Thank Michele R
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Was absolutely appaled at this property, we booked via booking site I have used for years for rooms all over the world. Booking made for one night only which happened to be on day of Beverley Races. Arrived to a disgusting heap of rubble and notice at front door to say use side entrance. On entering met by a notice saying if you wish to book in ring this mobile number which I did. I was then told that everyone booked in had arrived, and I stated I had got my confirmation of booking with me and a lady said she would be here in ten mins to have a look. The room had been double booked, she tried ringing the owner but had no look, the intermediary tried booking us somewhere else but because of races everywhere was fully booked. I can't help but after reading all the various reveiews that although we had a two hundred mile round trip wasted we had a lucky escape. The entrance and reception area were terrible. The place was thick with dust and rubble and bits of old pond. I can only assume that the owner is a personal friend of environmental health as I'm sure in any other case I would be shut down for health and safety reasons. Feeling like a lucky escape was had.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank 176michellel
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We arrived with rubble outside & no one to meet us. Had to phone to find out where our rooms were. Dirty, holes in duvet & pillow. On return from dinner out dirty smelly water gurgling up in bath & sink. Called to ask for assistance was told no one could do anything. Breakfast very poor asked to see owner but told unavailable. Could not settle our bill & only hope the money was not taken from the credit card without authority. Environmental health should be visiting this guest house. It is by far the worst that we have ever stayed in anywhere.

Room Tip: Do not stay here
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
12  Thank Jenny B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverley
Best Western Lairgate Hotel
Number One Bed and Breakfast
The 5 Eastgate
The 5 Eastgate
#1 of 15 in Beverley

Been to Beverley Guesthouse? Share your experiences!