“TERRIBLE - THEY CANNOT BE BOTHERED WITH GUESTS”

Beverley Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 15 Beverley B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“TERRIBLE - THEY CANNOT BE BOTHERED WITH GUESTS”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

When you arrive you are meet with a closed door, no bell no sign to say enter please, just a front door of a house.

when you enter you find and unmanned reception desk, a note on the wall welcoming you, the key in the door… is this customer service I do not think so… call them to ask for assistance… no joy only a young child at the end of the phone… never returned my call…

The room was tired, in need of decorating and cleaning, found hairs all over the taps in the bathroom, the shower did not work.

The bed was okay, wished they had ironed the sheets and covers though, or was it untouched from the last guest.

The towel was like sandpaper.

I could go on… but you get the reasons why I will not be returning.

This could be an excellent business if only the owners cared… they just want you money and that is it…nothing in return… well once bitten never again….and I urge you not to visit….

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank CTHTravelUK
Minster Garth G, Owner at Beverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
There are signs on the front of the house and around the side clearly indicating the entrance. There is also a sign on the main door saying entrance, though I will now add "Please Enter", to avoid any further confusion.
As we are only a medium sized guest house with 12 rooms, employing a receptionist full time is not always practical, so there is a bell clearly marked opposite the entrance door, as well as a note saying to call the number provided in the event of no response. Running a guest house is a full time occupation, so when guests arrive outside of normal times, staff can be shopping for the next days breakfast, or even taking the odd break !!! Though we are always on the end of the phone and very few guests are disappointed, though some seem bent on finding things to complain about, rather than enjoying and appreciating this lovely house, with beautiful views etc, We regularly redecorate the rooms and are carrying out just such a programme at present. We purchased new towels and linen only in the last month or so.
All the showers and equipment work fine, though some people can't seem to read instructions properly, no matter how clearly things are explained. All bedding is laundered and ironed and 45 minutes allocated for every room change, though bedding can get creased from being folded and unfolded and I guess things can be missed in error on occasion so I am sorry if this was the case.
I cannot comment on this guests stay in particular as we have no idea who he is or what room he stayed in, though it seems he wanted more attention than he was given and for that I am sorry, though most guests are the opposite and want to be left alone and disturbed as little as possible. I feel the negativity in the review stems mainly from this lack of attention and suggest he might be better staying at his Mum's next time, she'll probably give him a hot water bottle, his favorite teddy and a good night kiss too !!!! Happy Christmas ;)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Myself and my partner booked this guest house as a last minute stay for the evening as we were attending an event nearby. We read the reviews and decided to take a chance even though some were negative and pretty average at best. On arrival we were not welcomed nicely instead made to ring a bell and wait a good 5 minutes for someone to appear. Then we were shown to the room situated on the first floor which was appalling. The room was freezing, and the radiators didn't work, in the shower there was a USED razor left on the side in full view so i don't understand how this was missed when supposedly cleaning the room before our arrival. The shower was cold and their was so much outside noise neither myself or my partner slept at all. This was not helped by the white curtains on the two big windows in the room! Breakfast was average for myself but not at all enjoyable when my partner found a hair in his breakfast! Do not bother taking the chance like we did, its such a shame its so poorly run as its situated in a beautiful place. Would never stay here again what a waste of money!!!

4 Thank LB12346
Minster Garth G, Owner at Beverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Room 2 is a beautiful room with views of the Minster and the lovely Minster Pasture opposite. It is a large room with large windows, on particularly cold and windy nights additional heating is available on request (though this was not requested in this instance). Perhaps this reviewer can't see the wood for the tree's ???
Had to wait 5 minutes ???!!! As my office is 15 seconds from reception I feel this review perhaps exaggerates the situation regarding the welcome !!
I can only apologise regarding the discarded razor, though all rooms are cleaned every day with 45 minutes allocated for full changes, so it just must have been missed.
As for a hair in the breakfast, the lady should have mentioned it at once so the matter could have been rectified, though of course these things can happen inadvertently.
It's strange reading down the reviews how polarised they are. Some saying how terrible it is and yet many saying how lovely it is. If I actually took these things to heart, one could get very bitter, but then realising that it is generally the petty negative reviewers who are the bitter ones, I'll hold on to my positivity and love for my beautiful home and hope many continue to stay and enjoy the priviledge as I do. Happy Christmas ;)

Travellers are raving about these Beverley hotels

uk
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I stayed at this Guest house several times on business over the last few months. The top floor rooms are basic, but not dirty, my room was cleaned every day, traffic noise was a problem and the room was cold but the bedding was plentiful and clean.
I had the fortune to stay in room 3 for one week, this is a lovely room with spacious sunken bath. Every room has a fridge which was a super addition.
The breakfasts were served in a nice dining room which was clean, food was reasonably plentiful most of the time. Andrea was very pleasant, I only met the chap described in the other reviews once, but found him pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 December 2013

The owner rang us to cancel our pre booking in the superior room due to having a group of people in that wanted to stay a few more days. We had paid 25% previously for room but accepted the reason for this as he did have a business to run and it was going to be sensible to have a larger group in, however we were unhappy about the short time of notice as at this point we were about to leave for our journey. John the owner, suggested he book a hotel for us just outside Beverley that he recommended .We said ok due to we were leaving immediately. He made a booking for us which cost around the same price for the room and we were put in the bridal suite so he had ensured our accommodation was of a high standard thanks, it was a very nice room and the hotel was very clean, tidy and comfortable.
The problem was it is down a very dark lane and we were unable to walk anywhere due to darkness. The reason we choose John's place was due to the convenience of been able to go out for a meal and have a couple of glasses of wine within walking distance that overlooked the minster. The hotel evening food was Asian based and although I am sure it would be very nice, we do not like spicy food. We ate in a village nr hotel but had to drive so did not have anything to drink . It would be nice to have had more notice so we could think about an alternative room near the centre .I hope to return but would need assurance that this would not happen again.

Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I decided to stay here last week for one night and I can't remember being so cold and uncomfortable at a B&B. The room was a little dirty, but the worst thing about my stay was that radiator and portable heater wouldn't work. So initially I went down to reception and rang the bell but no one answered. So then a little desperate I looked online and rang their phone number and was told that nobody was going to come and help me because the person I was speaking to (who I'm guessing was the owner) was out socialising with friends in BEVERLEY and just to put another duvet on!!!

So now that I've discovered trip advisor I think I'll do a little more research next time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Katie H
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Arrived excited by excellent position with benefit of parking permit for duration of our 24 hour stay.
Surprised by no welcome especially after reading reviews on the wall. Phoned the number and given instructions to choose our own room....number 3 or 5,made us feel this was definitely different.
Number 3 felt like an ice box, but number 5 was warm and cosy, with a surfeit of furniture and amazing wallpaper.
Looked forward to meeting the owners and finding how to get to dining room. This did not happen.
Had everyone fled from this place? Were we the only occupants? .... Silence!
After many false starts in the morning we finally found our way to breakfast, helped by the smell.
Couldn't believe a four star B and B had PLASTIC table cloths.
Worse was to come.
Picked up an orange from the half empty fruit bowl. It was MOULDY and the apples had CRINKLED DRY skims.
Sliced Hovis in a bag was NOT what the photos showed.
However we were treated to a well cooked, tasty breakfast.
How were we to pay?
The cook asked what we had been told and so we paid her.
What a place.
Was going to do a private review, but since visit have read the rest.
Come on Minster Garth. Stop taking paying customers for a ride. You have an amazing opportunity to match the other four and five star B and Bs in Beverley. Up your game and take a pride in your job.
Having been OFSTEDed many times I know you would have met the criteria for 'less than satisfactory' on our visit.
A disappointed customer.

Room Tip: Ask for room number 5.
7 Thank Woldsman L
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

firstly the professional pictures of this b&b are not a true representation of this place. it is very run down, uncomfortable beds that creak with every movement and random buts old furniture in the rooms. The bathrooms need a serious refurbishment and mould removal. it was also freezing with no heating in room. Breakfast in the morning was chaos, the room was absolutely tiny with everyone crammed in and a 50minute wait for breakfast to be served. Some other hotels in Beverley might be more expensive but I'd definitely opt to go elsewhere for more money in future.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank JWalter108
Minster Garth G, Manager at Beverley Guesthouse, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
This person dishonestly booked a single en suite room and then had her partner stay in the room with her. She owes us £ 20 for that deceit and then had the gall to bring said partner in to our breakfast room as though they were bona fide customers and then to add insult to injury posts this negative and untruthful review. The central heating in that room was working fine and in fact there are 5 separate boilers throughout the property. Perhaps that evening was particularly cold and had she notified staff, she would have been offered an additional heater just for such occasions, though of course then we might have realised her subterfuge ! That room was redecorated only last year and the bed has a new mattress. The breakfast room is not at all tiny, it is a large and beautiful dining room overlooking the beautiful Minster Pasture. There were two staff on that morning though when 10 + people arrive all at one time, it can be difficult to serve everyone at once, though there certainly was not chaos and deffinitely would not have been a 50 minute wait. I suppose we could put the negativity in her review down to her age and immaturity, but her effective theft might be better addressed to the authorities ?!!!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverley
Best Western Lairgate Hotel
The Tudor Rose Hotel
The Tudor Rose Hotel
#4 of 15 in Beverley
Number One Bed and Breakfast

Been to Beverley Guesthouse? Share your experiences!