“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Beverley
Hertfordshire
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Other people have written good reviews, we stayed in this hotel for two nights and I didn't want to go back for the second! It was a handy location (which meant it was noisy from the street) and it did have free wi fi but the room was shabby, the blackout curtain was hanging off (and still not fixed the second day after a request). Cobwebs in the bathroom, a poor shower, sagging chair and uncomfortable pillows and bed head. We went to breakfast the first day at 8.30 and were greeted with 'I have packed breakfast away, they said everyone had gone'. Grudgingly juice, tea and insipid toast was brought we had to request cereal and were only asked if we wanted cooked food as we finished. The second day breakfast was a revelation, although both menus we had picked up were sticky. Never again!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HopefulTraveller73

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2013

The title of my review refers to the fact that the night before I stayed at the Lairgate, I was in a Travelodge! This hotel is very nice - I was in a spacious Executive room, beautifully decorated in the period style, and I received a warm welcome and was shown to my room personally by the gentleman on reception. I was on a late check in and they offered to make me a sandwich as the restaurant had closed, which I thought was a very nice touch. Breakfast is buffet continental with cooked food made to order, which was very quick and tasty.

As I was only there for one night and arrived and left by taxi, I cannot say much about the location, but it is literally five minutes drive from Beverley station if you are arriving by train. There is a car park available too at the back of the hotel.

My overall impression was of a very relaxed environment, perhaps not the place for party animals, but perfect for a quiet weekend trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Kingston upon Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Pleasant ambience, prompt unobtrusive service.

Very pleasant Prosecco served with strawberries followed by cream tea. Lovely fresh sandwiches, quiche, warm scones and mini cakes.

This was a voucher promotion. It represented good value for the price paid – though I would be hard pressed to recommend it at the price normally claimed. I think the hotel would benefit by offering 'return' vouchers at a modest cost - possibly omitting the Prosecco to keep the price down.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Revilo55
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 1 night and found it very pleasant as well as a great location for discovering Beverley. I asked for an early check which was no trouble at all. The reception desk was welcoming and answered all my questions. The room at the front of the hotel was spacious and had all the required amenities. The bar was busy in the evening and breakfast was excellent after a busy night!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Stayed here for one night, while visiting friends in Beverley. On arrival, Tom was very helpful with bags, check-in etc.

The hotel's location is in its favour as it is very convenient to access the Beverley attractions and the main shopping area but this is an older hotel, presumably built at different times and it is on different levels, accessed by several staircases. A warren with no lifts. The room I had was #20, on the third floor and had a view of the car park and rooftops. It was ensuite but only a bath - no shower. The room was clean and they've made the most of what it is, but it really needs a facelift and modernization. Get rid of the old lino on the bathroom floor and add a shower - this isn't "character", it is "out dated".

When I went for breakfast, the waiter told me that I was sitting at the wrong table, as it wasn't "a breakfast table" and I should move to another table. Apparently, the only difference was the breakfast tables had cups and saucers, which I moved on to the table that I was sitting at and got very positive comments from other diners who had had the same issue! Sorry but if they want the guests to sit at specific tables, then have someone there to show them to the table, not wait until they are sitting and then "tell" them to move because of the cups and saucers. Tip to Lairgate: your staff could just move the cups and saucers, smile and say, "Good morning".

Breakfast was part self-service but scones were at least one-day old and orange juice was past the sell-by date. The hot breakfast was fine but nothing exceptional. I asked for white toast and was told they had no white bread as the delivery hadn't arrived, so got brown without any consultation or apology. Note: there is a bakery just a two-minute walk away, with lots of white bread.

Overall, I wasn't impressed by the Lairgate. They really need to do some dining room PR and bring the rooms up to date.

Am I being over- critical? I don't think so. This was just one of 8 hotels that I used during my recent trip and the only one that I have written anything negative about. Lairgate isn't the cheapest place to stay but their price simply doesn't match their service or facilities. The problem is that Beverley doesn't have a huge choice of good places to stay and this was recommended as "probably the best"!

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are on the main street with traffic right outside the window. Rooms at the back...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank ganddoutoftown
N Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

This hotel is away from the town centre so quieter, across the road is a lane which leads to the town centre. Hotel has been about for some time and has previously been a bank. Rooms are large and well furnished with older style furniture. Internet access throughout. Breakfast is ok, sausages are not the best.

Room Tip: In the rooms at the front of the hotel Minster bells can be heard occassionally.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Brough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

Jazz excellent BUT I had a complaint about the food. I told the waitress and she said she would report it. When it came to paying I asked if it would be possible to knock something off the bill in view of my disatisfaction. I was confronted by a young man who did not introduce himself but turned out to be the manager. Instead of being polite and helpful he was rude and abusive. To cut a long story short he said==quote "Either pay the bill in full or don't come to this hotel again". I was speechless and couldn't believe my ears.
I reported this to Best Western customer services who asked him to send me a direct letter of apology and consider some compensation. I received a general e-mail (not adressed to me) and no mention of compensation.
I SHALL NOT GO AGAIN

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Robert S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverley
Premier Inn Beverley Town Centre Hotel
#3 of 16 in Beverley
Ferguson Fawsitt Arms
Ferguson Fawsitt Arms
#1 of 2 in Walkington

Been to BEST WESTERN Lairgate Hotel? Share your experiences!