“Warm welcome, relaxing stay, friendly service”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Strathmore Lawn East
Ranked #9 of 20 Barnard Castle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I phoned ahead to confirm my arrival and explained to the owner about my food allergies and that I will need to bring my own home-cooked meal for the evening. Margaret was understanding and when I checked in, she was very attentive and helpful, suggesting suitable options for the morning breakfast.

That evening, I was able to have a relaxing shower and enjoy my own food in the bright and airy dining room. After an evening stroll around the town, I returned to my single room and had a great night's sleep. This b&b is fresh, clean and comfortable. The decor is charming and uncluttered.

The staff are hospitable and professional. I understand that the previous reviewer did not have a pleasant experience, but I have not found this to be the case at all. I pre-paid my room charge through hotels.com and there were no complications with my booking.

My breakfast was on time, well presented, the young lady who served me was friendly and polite, giving me the space to enjoy my fresh coffee. The cooked breakfast was delicious and the whole atmosphere is calm and relaxing.

Prior to joining TripAdvisor I have stayed in many B&Bs around the UK and hotels/guest houses around the world. Strathmore Lawn East is a place I would happily recommend and I would love to visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Solana P

Reviewed 18 August 2013

After a discussion with the Owner (Margaret) about a query regarding payment in advance. (We were informed initially that this had been paid!) Upon arrival it was agreed we would both check our records and find out as early as possible if that was the case and settle up - fine by me!
Upon trying to leave the property for an arranged night out I found the front door locked and she demanded payment again and if she was at fault repay me on Monday. I had no option but to do this while my wife waited in the taxi outiside. Her attitude made me feel like a criminal!
The following morning we arrived at the breakfast table (table is correct because there is only one table for all guests - six seats) and had our breakfast which was very nice.
Upon arrival back home I check our bank statement and found out the payment had not been taken out. I then telephone the Guest House to let her know. Words were exchanged to the effect that people have been know to leave without paying at 4 am etc - which makes me think she had put me in that category!
I notice from other reviews that she puts comments on trip advisor in reply - could be interesting!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank swimgym
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Margaret showed us to our light airy room with huge windows and secondary glazing. The bathroom was small and adequate and the beds were great with feather pillows. The breakfast was one of the best I've had with two eggs, if required, as well as home made bread and preserves.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Lovely B&B rooms were very nice with large comfortable beds and the breakfast was fantastic. Would highly recommend. Margaret is the perfect host and made the whole family feel at home. Location of the hotel is ideal and just a five minute walk from the main high street, pubs and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We were greeted by the owner in a friendly manner and advised of the best places to eat. When we were shown to our room I thought it was very pleasant, a large bed, which was two beds pushed together and some nice pieces of furniture in keeping with the house. There was plenty of tea and coffee in the room and a nice touch was fresh milk for each room which was in a fridge on the landing, I was disappointed that there was no hot chocolate, but never mind. The breakfast was very good, with local produce being used. On the downside, the first night I hardly slept at all because of the noisy road and also the extractor fan from the ensuite which took ages to go off and even when it did the wind whistled loudly through it. On the second night I wore ear plugs and slept a lot better. The shower cubicle was the smallest that I have ever had to use and could do with a good clean. Apart from that our stay was very enjoyable, the people in Barnard Castle are lovely, so friendly and there are lots of lovely pubs and places to visit.

Room Tip: Room number two had a larger shower and was larger overall
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lilliYorkist
sallysofie, Manager at Strathmore Lawn East, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

In reply we now supply tea, instant and ground coffee with a cafetiere in each room. Hot chocolate can be obtained on request. The beds we have are zip and link, which can be either utilised as single beds or as a joined king size. They are not random beds that have been pushed together. We have many excellent comments about the comfort of the beds we use.

We are lucky to be located close to the centre of Barnard Castle and as we are on the main road we are easy to find. The road is not busy on a night time with business traffic leaving the town by approximately 6pm. The level of traffic utilising the main road is minimal after approx 10pm. As the windows are all secondary glazed the noise from traffic is kept to a minimum.

We have addressed the issue concerning the length of time that the extractor fan continues after the ensuite is used and are in the process of fitting a larger shower cubicle, as we agree that it was rather compact.

I personally check the rooms after my staff have serviced them. If it had been identified that the clients had concerns re the cleanliness of any aspect of the business I would have been more than happy to attend to the these concerns and rectify the issues. By sharing these comments on a public site following the event and not at the time when I could have dealt with the alleged issue it is unfair as this may unfairly influence future potential business. We are always happy to take any reasonable actions to enhance our guests stay with us.

Reviewed 28 March 2011

Posatives, very good breakfast, comfortable beds, owner very pleasant,
Negatives, staff need more training in customer service, and cleaning

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank sugar2spice
sallysofie, Owner at Strathmore Lawn East, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Thank you for your comments. I personally check the facilities after my staff have serviced them and our business has been given a hygiene award but we are more than happy to attend to any issues that are identified to us during the stay.

It may be useful if the client could give feedback on which areas of customer service they feel need improving.

Reviewed 5 October 2010

I loved this guest house, everything was spot on, from the owners to the food, the bedroom and the location.
Just right.