“Who serves frozen pork pie?......”
Review of Penny's Tea Shop

Penny's Tea Shop
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Fab tea shop serving tea & scones/cakes all the way through to full meals
Reviewed 11 September 2011

After reading the other reviews I decided that penny's was the place for us. The cafe is well placed and looks lovely from the outside, the tables are well laid out. We had decided before hand that we only wanted a salad after having such a big breakfast at our b&b so again influenced by the reviews went for a Dalesman salad. When it arrived I discovered that it wasn't a salad at al but about 4 slices of ham ( that was ok ) a pot of cheese a pot of fried cold onions a small amount of salad including the end of the cucumber! And some coleslaw. But the star of the show was a soggy warm pork pie! I asked for my porkpie to be swapped for a cold one.... My plate was taken away and bought back 5 mins later with the same porkpie missing a bite, I think they had just let it cool a bit! I pointed out that it was the same pork pie and was told that it had to be hot as it was microwaved from frozen!!!! I was somewhat shocked at this as penny's seem to go to great lengths to tell you about locally sourced food and own bakery ect and the bring out a frozen porkpie!!! I told the boy that I'd eat the 'salad' but he could take off the price for the pie. Most of the staff are kids one girl had lovely short hair I watched her touching it and swishing it about then serving cake. The older woman ( crurly hair) was rude and abrupt with us and nobody apologised that we had been served such rubbish!! I have learnt 2 things from this experiece 1 that trip advisor should not be taken as read and to when you are asked in Penny's if you would like a cup or a 'mug' they mean it quite literally you are a mug for eating there. Those salads cost us £6.95! What a joke!

2  Thank Hayleymatt32

Reviewed 21 July 2011

Me and my wife were having a day out in Barnard Castle and wandered upon Penny's, we decided to eat there as it looked a nice homely place. We were greeted by a friendly waitress, I ordered the Beef Lasagne, with chips and peas, my wife ordered a Coronation Chicken Jacket Potato, The lasagne was beautiful, the only downside was the frozen chips, after going to such lengths to do homemade lasagne, it seemed a shame to put frozen chips with it. The coronation chicken was homemade, and was delicious, I tried it and I would of happily ate that also. We then ordered dessert, I had Coconut Tart with Coconut Ice, and my wife had Toffee covered Meringue. Both deserts were to die for, absolutely amazing.

The wooden chairs were a little uncomfortable, but there are some leather bucket seats, and leather sofas that we could of sat on. This was overshadowed by the food and service though.

For the meals, desserts and 3 diet cokes it only came to £24!!! What a bargain!!

I will be eating there again, and will recommend to friends.

Reviewed 21 June 2011

My boyfriend and I decided to have a day out in Barnard Castle. Not knowing where to eat I rang a friend and she advised Penny's. We both had the Dalesman Salad (like a Ploughman's) and it was absolutely scrummy. If the rest of the menu is as well thought out you'll be impressed. The cafe is beside the Market Cross (octagonal building). Value for money as we ate every bite.

Reviewed 27 August 2010

My family and I enjoyed two visits to Penny's when we were in Barnard Castle recently.

The service is good and food is served quite quickly.

All the food we ate there was well presented and was very tasty.
You can have all the traditional teashop eats, cakes and scones etc, but you can also get all kinds of coffees, no need to go to Costa! They also do great lunches even main meals.

We tried Jacket potatoes, paninnis, toasties and desserts meringue, choc fudge cake and scones over the two visits. All good value. My daughter's meringue was amazing as you can see in the pic.

Definitely worth a visit.

3  Thank big-blue-eyes