“Too baby friendly!”

Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Description: We have lots of friendly space with disabled access which is great if you need to get a set of wheels of any form through the doors. Well behaved dogs are also welcome. The Nest has disabled parking and toilet which includes a baby changing table. All day parking is available over the road behind Barclay's Bank. With fresh home made food, hot and cold drinks, we are even able to supply a selection of alcohol.
Reviewed 4 July 2013

An elderly couple, we found our intended destination closed so tried The Nest and soon noticed how "echoey" it was with chairs constantly scraped on floors and re echoing from the high ceiling.
We prefer to lunch without the constant sound of mothers and babies.
Food was only moderate, with both salads served with a tiny amount of dressing provided separately, and lacking flavour.
Service was OK, but we won't go back. A restaurant is just that, not a creche with food.

Thank PeterN.E.England
bcnest, Manager at Cafe NeST, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2015

Dear PeterN.E.England

I'm terribly sorry to hear you had a bad experience at the NeST in Barnard Castle.
I would like to give you our deepest apologies.

We understand that you wrote this review back in 2013 but as the new manger I wanted to contact you to show that all your feedback has been taken on board.

We are now well on our way to having a much higher track record and quality of service with customers. We have changed the layout and our staff. We have brought on a new chief and have only 1 or two new members of staff at the moment who's main focus is customer satisfaction.

We know the "echoey" sound in the NeST used to be a problem, this is due to the fact the building used to be an old car show room. We have managed to improve this over the last two years but obviously it will be something that will be constantly difficult to stop completely due to the design of the building being so open. The NeST is a family orientated cafe and babies and mothers are always welcome. We are here to provide a social environment for all members of the public who are tourists but also for our locals. However with the improvements towards the sound we are finding through feedback customers are able to communicate better without being too disturbed by other groups of people around them.

Being the new Manager I am trying to improve the rating of the NeST page on Trip Advisor.
I would like to invite you back to the NeST with a voucher for a free tea or coffee with cake or scone for two people as a sorry for your past experience. If you have a better experience we would be grateful if you could delete this review and write a new one for us so we can see where we have done well and what other areas we can improve. Please email barnardcastlenest1@gmail.com to claim your voucher and please put your trip advisor username in the email subject.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration on reviewing our page.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

Visiting this cafe most weeks for some time now, I have always found the service on the slow side.
Today I visited with my mother, I ordered a scone and she ordered soup. My scone arrived immediately. After waiting more than 20 minutes I asked if the soup was coming and was told it was on it's way. The waiter then apologised and said there had been a mix up. We waited at least another 10 minutes and I asked again, several minutes later it finally arrived. It was only warmed and not hot so the last part was quite cool and therefore left. How long does it take to ladle soup into a bowl?The young waiter apologised several times, but it was clearly the fault of the cook. It appeared that the waiter was doing his best to hurry the cook into action through the hatch but think she was making a point in the end.

bcnest, Manager at Cafe NeST, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2015

Dear Ann H

I would like to give you our deepest apologies.

We are now well on our way to having a much higher track record and quality of service with customers. We have changed the layout and our staff. We have brought on a new chief and have only one or two new members of staff at the moment who's main focus is customer satisfaction.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration on reviewing our page.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

We had lunch at The Nest on a Thursday afternoon it was a lovely hot sunny day so we sat outside. I had had a jacket potato the day before at another tearoom which was terrible so I did not want to risk another but when I saw a potato going to another table it looked so nice I ordered one with smoked salmon and cream cheese, it was lovely, with a nice fresh salad. My husband ordered a bacon walnut and blue cheese salad and that was lovely also. The staff were pleasant, neat and clean. We even squeezed in a strawberry Eton mess, which was very nice. On the whole a very nice lunch on a very nice day Thank you.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

The food and service in the cafe are excellent. The goat's cheese and pear salad that I had was lovely and a very generous portion. The gallery is well worth checking out with an interesting range of pieces from local artists. Also increasing number of interesting activities being put on. Well worth checking out if you are in Barnard Castle.

1  Thank jaine9
Reviewed 7 September 2012

This is a nice place to call for coffee, cakes etc. Interesting art works inside and well worth a visit. I note the comments from a previous reviewer about it being soulless outside. Whilst I agree with certain aspects of this I would point out that it is an ideal place to have a coffee outside if you have been walking ( muddy boots) or have the dog with you (fresh drinking water for them provided). Good coffee and friendly service.

2  Thank Northerntraveller59