“Save room for dessert”

Jersey Farm
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Decided to go out for a 'nice' meal as opposed to the regular curry/chinese etc and this was recommended by my brother.
There were so many interesting things on the menu I couldn't make up my mind so opted for the carvery - had half a cow and pig on my plate before I knew it and the chef even cut off some beef fat and pork crackling when I asked for it.
Good choice of vegetables and sauces too. Everything was piping hot so still hot when I reached the table!
Hanging my nose over the desserts as I went passed - the chef smiled and said 'you'll have to eat your tea first' which gave me a giggle - I love happy people. he was right though, I did manage to eat the meal but unfortunately did not have room for the scrummy looking puds - will definitely go back again and try to leave more room.
Bar and catering staff were all very attentive and we were well looked after.
Just a note - there was also a wedding going on in the hotel but we were not disturbed by any noise or people wandering around - great relaxing atmosphere.

1  Thank Karen B

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Very dated decor but friendly welcome and good service. My husband had an odd but tasty sausage and mushroom starter in " creamy gravy" - and I had a somewhat tasteless lamb kofta. Large portions. Main course - home made, substantial short crust pastry steak and kidney pie and a rib eye with the largest but not the tastiest onion rings that have ever graced my plate. Steak was cooked as requested and came with home cooked chunky chips. Very substantial servings. Decent large glass of Shiraz for under four quid. The carvery seemed popular with plenty of food on offer. Food not cordon bleu but prices reasonable. Would go again if we needed a convenient meal out but not for a special treat.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Loved the whole farm. Very polite staff, clean rooms. Gorgeous animals on site. The Shetland ponies are great. If you visit Barnard Castle.....You should stay here.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Had a great evening with friends and family . As ever service with a smile . The chef got the measure of our boys with the offer of extra Yorkshire puddings which duly arrived with a jug of gravy , kept them going for ages .
Adults ate from the main menu and had a great variety of well cooked and filling dishes . Chunky fish pie truly chunky, lamb with pea risotto , Cajun chicken and chicken wrapped in pancetta . All well made and cooked.
I'm not a big fan of carvery , but the kids love it , when combined with a great a la carte choice was is there not to like .
Rounded off with a game of pool in the conservatory . Great night .
See you again soon .

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Absolutely love this hotel. We got married here over 3 years ago and go back often to chill out, enjoy the great food and soak up the lovely atmosphere. The bedrooms are comfortable and luxurious too. Would highly recommend to everyone!