“Excellent carvery but needs some advice” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jersey Farm

Jersey Farm
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
UK
“Excellent carvery but needs some advice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

Pros
Yorkshire puddings
Meat selection in carvery
Tasty home cooked Sunday carvery and desserts
Always stuffed with a good meal when you leave
No rush to leave which was great

Cons
Decor is a bit weird. Assume they are updating bit by bit but I know that one carpet and the carvery area are the same as in the late 1980's
Starters are too huge when you are having the carvery
Avoid the pate starter. The presentation made it look like,as my kids stated, a pile of poo.
No apple juice !
Toilets look out of date
Queue for the carvery was annoying. They should send so many people at a time. We constantly had people queuing behind us

Would we go again: yes but given last visited over 8 years ago, I hope the decor is updated by next visit.

Tip: don't order starter if you are having carvery meal.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Save room for dessert”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Decided to go out for a 'nice' meal as opposed to the regular curry/chinese etc and this was recommended by my brother.
There were so many interesting things on the menu I couldn't make up my mind so opted for the carvery - had half a cow and pig on my plate before I knew it and the chef even cut off some beef fat and pork crackling when I asked for it.
Good choice of vegetables and sauces too. Everything was piping hot so still hot when I reached the table!
Hanging my nose over the desserts as I went passed - the chef smiled and said 'you'll have to eat your tea first' which gave me a giggle - I love happy people. he was right though, I did manage to eat the meal but unfortunately did not have room for the scrummy looking puds - will definitely go back again and try to leave more room.
Bar and catering staff were all very attentive and we were well looked after.
Just a note - there was also a wedding going on in the hotel but we were not disturbed by any noise or people wandering around - great relaxing atmosphere.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Karen B
England, United Kingdom
“6/10”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

Very dated decor but friendly welcome and good service. My husband had an odd but tasty sausage and mushroom starter in " creamy gravy" - and I had a somewhat tasteless lamb kofta. Large portions. Main course - home made, substantial short crust pastry steak and kidney pie and a rib eye with the largest but not the tastiest onion rings that have ever graced my plate. Steak was cooked as requested and came with home cooked chunky chips. Very substantial servings. Decent large glass of Shiraz for under four quid. The carvery seemed popular with plenty of food on offer. Food not cordon bleu but prices reasonable. Would go again if we needed a convenient meal out but not for a special treat.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Loved the whole farm. Very polite staff, clean rooms. Gorgeous animals on site. The Shetland ponies are great. If you visit Barnard Castle.....You should stay here.

Visited May 2014
“Great service and food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Had a great evening with friends and family . As ever service with a smile . The chef got the measure of our boys with the offer of extra Yorkshire puddings which duly arrived with a jug of gravy , kept them going for ages .
Adults ate from the main menu and had a great variety of well cooked and filling dishes . Chunky fish pie truly chunky, lamb with pea risotto , Cajun chicken and chicken wrapped in pancetta . All well made and cooked.
I'm not a big fan of carvery , but the kids love it , when combined with a great a la carte choice was is there not to like .
Rounded off with a game of pool in the conservatory . Great night .
See you again soon .