“Great meal!”

Bengal Merchant
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled in Barnard Castle's beautiful ancient artisan quarter, below the Market Cross is a charming, inviting, comfortable restaurant offering sophisticated, vibrantly flavoured, subcontinental cuisine of real style and taste. The menu features authentic, traditional favourites as well as creative dishes all made with the freshest ingredients. For those with an eye towards light, healthier eating we also offer our famous low calorie (yet authentic Indian) option of all our curries.The Merchant attracts a knowledgeable and loyal clientele who come back time and again for the fine food with exceptional friendly service. The Bengal Merchant is one of Barnard Castle's treasures and a perfect choice for exotic meals with friends & loved ones in a warm, cosy and romantic setting.For those with something to celebrate we also have a separate, newly refurbished function room too.
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Recently stayed near Barnard Castle and decided to go to the Bengal Merchant after reading the reviews and I'm so glad we did! The staff are welcoming and very friendly and the food was excellent, had the best Chicken Tikka Balti I've ever tasted! Would definitely recommend a visit if you're ever in Barnard Castle!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great food, great value and great service! There is always a good atmosphere at the Bengal Merchant. The staff are friendly and knowledgeable, they recommend some great dishes allowing you to be a little more adventurous without running the risk of ordering something too hot! I highly recommend a meal at the Bengal!

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Arrived around 10:30PM. This was about the only restaurant still serving food. Had a delicious chicken curry that was spiced just right for me. Rice and nan were also good. They even gave me a complimentary potato dish to try that was yum! Staff was nice. Definitely on my list for another meal.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Went to the Bengal Merchant after reading the reviews and can honestly say it was first class. On arrival, the staff were immediately very friendly and helpful and gave us plenty time to look through the menu, which was comprehensive to say the least. We had a mixture of starters which arrived at the table very quickly, it was quiet admittedly, and was a good sized portion. The staff asked us if we wanted a bit of time before the main courses arrived which was quite welcomed. When they did, they all arrived together and even had a complementary portion of Bombay potatoes, which were lovely. All in all it truly was a first class meal and I would use it again if I was in the area. One small issue, I would do up the men's toilet if I were them. It was perfectly clean etc. just a bit tired looking.

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

This has been my favourite Indian restaurant for a while now and each time the quality and standards of the food has been getting better.Yesterday I ate in and the atmosphere inside the restaurant is fantastic. Overall a great experience.