“Good value but average compared to others further afield”
Review of Bengal Merchant

Bengal Merchant
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Nestled in Barnard Castle's beautiful ancient artisan quarter, below the Market Cross is a charming, inviting, comfortable restaurant offering sophisticated, vibrantly flavoured, subcontinental cuisine of real style and taste. The menu features authentic, traditional favourites as well as creative dishes all made with the freshest ingredients. For those with an eye towards light, healthier eating we also offer our famous low calorie (yet authentic Indian) option of all our curries.The Merchant attracts a knowledgeable and loyal clientele who come back time and again for the fine food with exceptional friendly service. The Bengal Merchant is one of Barnard Castle's treasures and a perfect choice for exotic meals with friends & loved ones in a warm, cosy and romantic setting.For those with something to celebrate we also have a separate, newly refurbished function room too.
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

Visited on a Wednesday night with a work colleague. We got there early in the evening and had no problems getting a table. Staff were friendly. For us the food was average compared to our local ones in the London area, not able to say how it compare locally.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Mufti and his team have got it just right at the Bengal Merchants, great food and friendly service, best curry around.

3  Thank Paul S
Reviewed 30 September 2018

My husband and I visited this restaurant on the spur of the moment. We were greeted by lovely staff who could not do enough for us. We had a couple of starters but the main courses were amazing! My husband had the garlic, chilli and chicken dish, it was beautiful, he really enjoyed it! I had the wedding celebration dish chicken sangara (that may not be the correct spelling) it was sunshine on a plate! A wonderful sauce, a tikka chicken and sauce round finished with a rice mountain in the middle! It had the most wonderful flavour.......and I am not ashamed to say I ate it all! Our compliments to the chef and the great staff! If we are ever in Barnard Castle again we will be back!,

6  Thank FionaSeatree
Reviewed 26 September 2018 via mobile

Really pleasant and friendly staff and lovely meals. Hot and tasty Lamb Balti for me and a nice Korma for my wife and we received a complimentary serving of Bombay Potato, well pleased with our evening here, great service from very good staff.

5  Thank Dougthain
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

Superb food and excellent friendly service would certainly recommend, very reasonably priced too....

5  Thank Andrew M