“Fantastic!”
Review of The Bowes Museum

The Bowes Museum
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: It’s been delighting visitors for more than 100 years, and now a £12m revamp has transformed The Bowes Museum into a must see 21st Century place to visit.A romantic history, stunning galleries, great location, fine dining, top class exhibitions, family fun events, a thriving toddler group – all these can be discovered inside this fabulous listed building which resembles a French chateau.And that’s not all. It’s surrounded by parkland, woodland walks, formal gardens and a newly opened children’s play area.No visit is complete without a browse in our shop, or a delicious snack in Café Bowes.If you’re looking for a great day out, make The Bowes Museum your destination of choice. Follow us on Twitter and Facebook for up to the minute info on what’s on when.
Beaminster, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Fantastic!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Loads to see and it's all beautifully presented. As a wheelchair user I was very impressed with the facilities for disabled visitors. There is a lift to all floors and the rooms are extremely spacious and easy to manoeuvre around in. Helpful staff, too. We spent so long enjoying the wonderful collections of porcelain, paintings, silver, costumes and much more that we barely had time to visit the impressive-looking gardens. A visit to this museum is truly a great day out for all the family and outstanding value for money.

• Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Exhilarating day”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We found a pamphlet of the Bowes Museum and were impressed enough to walk from our camp site to enjoy a day out.
Barnard Castle itself is full of interest but nothing could prepare us for the WOW factor which consumed us as we walked through the entrance gates up the winding road to face the Bowes Museum.
We felt it a privilege to be able to explore the passions of two people who gave their whole lives to build and fill with treasures this exquisite French style building.
Josephine, an artist in her own right, has numerous paintings on display all mesmerising.
Three floors of delectable goodies to absorb and lose yourself amongst followed by excellent service from friendly staff serving good food in the cafe.
An excellent day out and would I return ? yes, I would.

1 Thank canarygirl2014
Southport, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Visit to the silver swan”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We came to see The silver swan in action and were not disappointed. We joined a small. Guided tour which was both instructive and amusing.

Melrose, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Unexpected delight”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Visited this museum on a sunny day in June and thoroughly enjoyed all aspects. The collections are fabulous and wide ranging - I particularly enjoyed the costumes on display and also the silver room. The collection of mining art in the great norther coalfield was unusual and some of it quite powerful. The large miners union banners were very evocative of the 70s and 80s for me. The restaurant was really good, with proficient and friendly staff and well presented, tasty food. Far too much to see in one visit so it was good to have some tips for "must sees" on the guide.

Newcastle upon Tyne
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Day trip”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We visited the Bowes Museum on a cloudy and overcast day and were surprised that a vintage rally was taking place in the grounds so this was a bonus and in some ways was the best part of the visit.
Entry charge was reasonably priced at less than £10 and with 3 floors to wander around was good value.
The usual eatery with shop can be found within and on the ground floor, the shop sells all that you would expect and the restaurant sold all the usual tit bits and a full meal, we stayed for teacake and tea so unable to comment on a full dinner however the tea and teacake was nice and the staff polite and helpful.
The only thing that irritates me is when you pay your entrance like many other establishments they ask if you wish to add a donation to some charity or other, I do give freely to charity but prefer to do that in my own way without someone asking or shaking a tin under my nose,I hasten to add no tin was shaken at Bowes.
Once inside there is enough to keep anyone interested for a few hours.
Am I glad I went? Yes
Would I go again? Unlikely.

Visited June 2014
alison_nicholson, Digital Communications & Fundraising Officer at The Bowes Museum, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you for your review and I'm pleased that you enjoyed your visit.

I wanted to explain a small point about why our Front of House staff ask visitors for a donation on entry. For the Museum to be able to claim gift aid on the admission cost, we have to make some of it an optional donation. As a charity we very much depend on the gift aid to care for the building and conserve the collection. We are extremely grateful for all the donations we receive.

With very best wishes,