Open today: 10:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Rarely disappoints

I've been so lucky, it's always been beautiful weather when I visit, which emphasises the grandeur... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Peterm2145
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Stunning place

The grounds and cafe are free to enter but it is expensive to visit the museum. Some people might... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Graeme D
via mobile

1,518 results
All reviews french chateau bowes museum silver swan automaton fine art eclectic collection well worth a visit purpose built bowes family mechanical swan french style el greco on display yves saint laurent fashion exhibition works of art beautiful building lovely grounds
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I haven't been here in years, however The catwalk exhibition lured me back :) Went with American friends and they were blown away. The silver swan is great. Beautiful.

Date of experience: January 2019
Leo R, Marketing Assistant at The Bowes Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 6 days ago

Dear Vegas-Queen666,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review, we are delighted that your group decided to spend the day at The Bowes Museum to celebrate! It’s great to hear that you were able to enjoy our exhibition, Catwalking and appreciate our much adored piece from the original collection, the Silver Swan. It truly is beautiful and magnificent in action.

We are overwhelmed that your friends have travelled so far to visit our Museum, and would love to see you all again.

All the very best from all of us at The Bowes Museum.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

opulent collectors' dream of pictures, ceramics and metalware. This purpose-built museum by family connections of the Queen Mother's housed an astonishing collection of a lifetime's passion for the arts. I loved the tribute to the soldiers of WW1 and the Roll of Honour and could have spent much longer looking at the ceramics which I had known very little about before my visit. The Silver Swan, a superb clockwork model who preens and catches a fish every day at 2 pm was impressive, but the act only lasted a few short moments!

1  Thank mossysal
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Large museum on the outskirts of Barnard Castle, interesting range of exhibits and friendly and informative staff. The swan is a "must" if you can be there at the right time of day. The museum stands in extensive gardens, good for walks on a nice day.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Used a Groupon voucher to visit. Impressive building and collection of exhibits. Not sure I would pay full price, but I don’t know my art! Make sure that you’re there for 2pm to see The Swan.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Not far from the A1 at Scotch corner and well worth a visit if you have 2-3 hours to spare.
It is £14 pp or £12 pp for concessions. It is based upon a personal collection of a Victorian couple, housed in a beautiful purpose built "chateau". It includes, toys, fashion, art, ceramics and furniture.Unfortunately the fashion section was closed when we visited on the 16 Jan. The cafeteria is also good with a good selection of snacks and small meals. the staff are polite and helpful, service being prompt without being overbearing. Overall good value for money.