“Relaxing Break”
other travellers have booked this property
Raygill Farm house and private garden with attached Stables guest cottage and separate garden.
Barnard Castle River Tees, where Raygill wood meets the river
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
Barnard Castle
River Tees, where Raygill wood meets the river
Family en-suite with 1 double bed & 1 single bed.
Twin room
Farm 2010 winter
Eggleston Hall gardens
Livery at Raygill
Raygill wins best of Barnard Castle Meet 2014
Sounds in the grounds annual festival
Weekly local pub bands
Hen parties welcome
Vintage rally WWII, Steam train from Bishop Auckland to Stanhope
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
staceab
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Dissapointing stay - Miss sold holiday”
Reviewed 6 June 2014 for a stay in May 2014
people found this review helpful

We have just returned from what we expected to be a fantastic stay with our family, which consisted of 18 people. We are celebrating my brothers 40th birthday with family member ranging from 5-65. When we enquired about the house we thought the price was good and the photos on "Holiday Lettings" website looked excellent, this showed pictures of the house, bbq, bedrooms, living area and kitchen. It states facilities available and these looked perfect.

On arrival we quickly discovered we were to be disappointed. We drove into a working farm (which we expected) what we didn't expect was a huge pile of manure just outside the entrance to the house. When we opened the car door the smell was horrendous. The yard was dirty and full of holes and this was our view from the lounge. Across the car park was a small area for the children to play, however we could not see the children's play area from the lounge as this was across the car parking area so we also needed to sit out in the small play area whenever one of our 8 children wanted to play out. Not really what we expected as on the photos it shows the house surrounded by grass. We found out later that these photos were actually of the farm house next door including their bbq. Our bbq however was actually turned upside down, full of rust, and we had to wash this before we used it. The manager then showed us around the house and the bedrooms, living area and kitchen looked like the photos however the kitchen was grimy and the views were all of the messy dirty yard around the farm house. The toilet downstairs didn't work, the showers were 2 to one room split by dirty ripped shower curtains and the walls were covered in mould. The shower in the main bedroom didn't work either. We did complaint about this on arrival and the manager did what he could to rectify this including replacing the shower curtains and fixing the shower using duck tape! however the ladies toilet quickly broke again flooding the floor in the room.

We approached the manager about our disappointment and he was very defensive, he couldn't understand why we were upset even when I explained I felt the website miss-sold the accommodation as the photos on the website were not a true representation of the accommodation. We asked for a reduction in cost due to some of the facilities being unavailable and the fact that we felt the house was dirty especially in the downstairs shower rooms. We showed him the mould and the dirty showers but he said this was just wear and tear. We had no choice but to stay as he said we would not receive any money back and he would not reduce the price. The manager stayed until late to try and rectify some of the issues but to me the holiday was already spoilt and the children were upset by his reaction, By the time we un-packed and washed the bbq it was late.

When we did use the showers it was a nightmare, they were either boiling hot or freezing cold, trying to wash 8 children was really hard work and again impacted on our 2 night break.

The views from the windows were horrendous, its was either overgrown weeds, dirty farm equipment or pigs, the farm has hundreds of pigs kept in pens together so we woke up every morning to pigs screeching. We have stayed on farms before with lots of animals but I've never heard a noise like it! It was horrific.

I needed to pay a £200 security deposit for the stay which was transferred into the managers account prior to our stay. This was to be paid back 48hr from when we checked out. We checked out on Sunday at 1030. I text the manager to come and inspect the house but he was busy. I still hadn't heard anything by Tuesday and started to worry Tuesday evening. I text the manager a few times asking when the money would be transferred but my text and phone call were ignored. The money was finally paid back on Wednesday night.

Overall it was a pretty disappointing, stressful and upsetting weekend for me and my family. I will not be returning and in future will be more cautious regarding photos on websites. I will add some photos to this review as I'm sure the manager will comment saying I'm wrong but you can see from my previous reviews I am honest and fair. I just don't want other families to be disappointed like us.

Travelling group: Large Group
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
27 Jun 2014
Hello

Please ignore the comments posted by this guest, the party involved tried to extort monies from their arrival by saying "they would post a bad review on TripAdvisor if I did not reduce the cost of the rental from £15 pppn to £5 pppn" - as you can imagine that is a ridiculous amount. The reasons given were mostly made up or exaggerated:

1. Raygill is a working farm & we do not hide the fact, but promote it with several references in text associated with all adverts.

2. All photos are correct and show exactly what is available. To the rear of the property is the farm yard, which is not for guests and is marked as a fire exit. To the front of the guest accommodation is a patio with table & chairs leading on to a courtyard with a large 200m2 fenced lawn overlooking open countryside and woodland. The garden gate and partial garden views 20m from house is with picnic benches and charcoal BBQ. The BBQ had been rained on so I turned upside down to dry, and as the lawn was wet from rain, I explained I would return in the morning to cut grass again and put BBQ in the correct position (which I did).

3. The showers as described and photographed show 2 ladies showers and 2 gents showers with an additional shower in the triple en-suite room. The guests pointed out 2 shower curtains were ripped, so I drove 4 miles to town & bought all new and replaced them.

4. I was made aware that the shower head from the previous group in the En-suite was broken, I fixed it immediately & have ordered a new suite to replace.

5. I am replacing all bathroom suites with new from Victoria Plumb. 1 downstairs toilet was not available, 3 toilets were available.

6. The farm yards are not for guests and to rear of property have potholes and a muck heap for horses (mostly loose straw) over 40 metres away from property, not in front as stated.

7. The farm smell was extremely over exaggerated which they never mentioned once, like many things.

8. The cottage is thoroughly cleaned between each group including the kitchen and was in no way grimy

9. The safety bond was returned in full and there were no issues with damage etc. I explained that after checks, money would be transferred within a couple of days, visible in her account no later than Friday. I received calls and texts each day, to which I replied and kept her informed politely. The guest identifies that this is what happened, but phrases it as a negative issue.

10. A downstairs toilet was blocked due to a member of party repeat filling it with toilet paper and not flushing, therefore causing the blockage.

I spent hours with this group trying to resolve any issues they had, it was quite obvious no matter what I did, their ultimate goal was not to pay or get to an unrealistic reduction. They told me at one point they wanted money off because they could not play a game of pool with only 1 cue.

Witnesses who live and work at the farm saw the guests laughing and having fun throughout their stay, with BBQs and games on the lawn, and in no way looking miserable which contradicts the statement in this guest's review.

Peter Wall

Manager

Thanks to my many previous & future guests who leave great reviews which are a true reflection of what we offer.
osmaston4...
“Relaxing Break”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Just stayed a couple of nights at the cottage with my extended family.
The location is beautiful and the cottage had everything we needed for a relaxing break.
Peter the owner was very helpful and constantly checked we were ok.
Looking to stay there again next summer

Paul Gabbutt

Travelling group: Extended Family
9 Jun 2014
Thanks Paul & we are looking forward to having your family stay next year.

All the Best,

Peter.
EnglandKi...
england
“Fab hen weekend”
Reviewed 5 May 2014 for a stay in May 2014

Fab location had a lovely time celebrating my daughters hen weekend the cottage is a good size so you didn't feel like you where on top of each other. Peter the owner was very friendly and welcoming

Value Rooms
Location Cleanliness
8 May 2014
Thanks Linda
It was very nice having your group and thank you for leaving the place clean and tidy and we look forward to having members of your group stay with us again.

Regards

Nottingham
Reviewed 22 April 2014 for a stay in April 2014

Travelling group: Friends
22 Apr 2014
Hi Maria
It was a pleasure having your group stay with us & great to hear you would recommend to friends as a place to stay. It is planned for the overflow carpark to be moved with better access, the winter weather can make much of the countryside quite muddy, but has since dried up. We are always looking at ways to improve Raygill and the overall experience of our guests, so thankyou for you feedback and we look forward to having you back.

Kind regards,

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013 for a stay in December 2013
people found this review helpful

3 Feb 2014
Thank you for your feedback and it was lovely to have your group stay with us, we hope too see you again in 2014

Kindest regards,

christina...
Leeds, United Kingdom
“The children adored it!”
Reviewed 23 June 2013 for a stay in June 2013

A great weekend in a spacious cottage on a working farm with horses gallore! We all had a brilliant time. The 9 children aged between 15 months and 4 years all loved it, seeing the pigs, horses, sheep and experiencing farm life. We all managed the beautiful walk to Barnard Castle through the woodland and there was only one short steep section where getting the 2 prams down was tricky and it was lovely to be able to walk there from the property. The cottage is simple but very functional and living room and kitchen diner are lovely and spacious. We would definately recommend this cottage to other families and friends. The beds were comfy and the property was clean. The shower room could do with a re-furb if the owner is thinking of making improvements and small things such as more bowls for large groups (all eating copius amounts of cereal in the morning) and an electirc kettle or too would have been great! The children loved the freedom and being able to close the gate and let them run around and play was great. We all throughly enjoyed our stay - thank you very much.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The experience of farm life for the children and the beautiful location
Liked least: The quality of the shower room
Travelling group: Young Children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
Large groups People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
10 Jul 2013
Hi
It is really lovely to hear your group had such a great time and look forward to seeing you again. I am currently working on several improvements including work on showers, which generally are fine but could do with some TLC in certain areas. I need to buy more bowls as there have been quite a few broken recently and it is on my list to do today. The major improvement I am currently doing is the large guest garden having a large screened fence and purpose built BBQ area, this will still retain the fantastic views of open countryside surrounded by woodland and the Bowes Museum (French Chateau), with added privacy and peace of mind for families with children, www.facebook.com/pages/Raygill/197144803725001

Thanks,
Peter.
Cagi100
York, United Kingdom
“Happy overall”
Reviewed 8 May 2013 for a stay in April 2013

There were 18 in our group age ranged from 4 months old to 70 years old. To start with the positives.. although Peter the owner was not on site the communication from start of finish was excellent. The cottage was clean, well equipped and there was always plenty of hot water. The girls from the stable were so friendly and let our kids feed & stroke their horses (those girls were lovely & couldn't do enough for us, made us feel so welcome). Our kids loved being on the farm. It does smell as soon as you step outside but that added to the experience for us. Now for the negatives..There were many safety issues for the younger kids. There was no enclosed outdoor play space. There was a gate but it wasn't secure. Despite seeming friendly, farm dogs roamed freely. The photo on the website of the large, enclosed grassy area is for the main farm house attached not the cottage. The biggest safety issue for us was for the stairs inside which were original barn stone stairs, looked great but very uneven & not at all suitable for toddlers. We have reported other repairable safety aspects to the owner. The size of the beds in the large room was an issue as they were childr sized beds & not comfortable for adults. Dog barking directly outside window in large room could be heard throughout the night. Vehicle access not great for standard car as farm yard in poor condition lots of deep potholes & large rocks etc to avoid. Another word of warning, understandably the accommodation needs to be left as found. You need to exit by 10:00 (not 10:30 as stated on website) although Peter agreed to honor info on website we left at 10:30 but still found it difficult to get a house this size cleaned etc by 10:30 whilst watching kids (let alone 10:00). Overall a great weekend had by all but safety for young kids a huge issue.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Farm experience for kids
Liked least: Poor safety for children
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
1 Jun 2013
Hi,
Its lovely to hear your group enjoyed your stay overall & would recommend others to stay here. Raygill is a working farm with the main entrance to the front of the property away from the farm side for safety. A large 200m2 lawn area at the bottom of the court-yard is for guest use, the area is surrounded by a fence with wooden gates with latches which can be closed by guests to enclose the area. The 2 dogs Meg and Sage are not farm dogs but house pets and very friendly just saying hello. The cottage is 16th century with a lovely original feature of a carved stone staircase, shown on the photos of the website you booked through, all stairs can be dangerous with toddlers and where at home you might have safety gates for young children this would not be the case in most guest houses/hotels etc and therefore the safety issue would be supervision, not the stairs. I am not aware of any other safety issues reported? The accommodation is checked >weekly for safety issues with an up to date risk assessment modern heat/smoke detectors with zoned alarm system, serviced fire extinguishers and fire blanket, alarm tests are scheduled and unscheduled & electrical appliances have current PAT testing. The loft room beds which you say are too small and uncomfortable are >6’ft and I quite often get feed back from many guests that these beds are extremely comfortable and a great nights sleep. I do test the beds and have added cushioned mattress protectors for extra comfort. We have recently upgraded and laid new tarmac on the farm road, access to the accommodation is separate from the farm yard and free of stones. The check out time is 10am on day of departure which is pretty standard throughout the industry to allow sufficient time for me to clean for the next party arriving at 2pm. Cleaning by guests on departure only consists of removing all belongings and rubbish, strip bedding, wash dishes etc or use dishwasher, clean oven & a general sweep through, with a group of people this should only take about 30 minutes, leaving all the fine thorough cleaning throughout for myself. I am slightly confused with some feedback you have left? At first you have noted the excellent service and communication from the start, however your marked score for this was average. The quality of bedding/mattresses was marked below average but nearly every guest including myself have found these beds extremely comfortable with new bed spreads freshly laundered between each group. The mark for cleanliness of bathroom & overall condition was average when the accommodation is deep cleaned from top to bottom between each group.
Thank you for your feedback and we are always improving on things.

Peter Wall
Manager
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing