“Fantastic B&B”

Ranked #7 of 20 Barnard Castle B&B and Inns
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Fantastic B&B”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here for 1 night as we were attending a wedding. The house is gorgeous, well maintained and clean. There are only 2 guest bedrooms, so a lovely quiet stay. The king room has a gorgeous ensuite bathroom, will roll top bath and separate shower. There was even a choice of bubble bath!
The bedroom was clean and spacious. The bed was comfortable and warm, and we both slept really well. Breakfast in the morning was a full English for my husband, American pancakes and warm blueberry sauce for me. Couldn't fault the food, and toast was endless!
The stay was made extra special by Carol and her husband, who run the B&B. They were so welcoming and helpful.
Would recommend to anyone staying in the area.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura W
Carole N, Owner at Newgate House, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Thanks Laura, we enjoyed having you here

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Halifax, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This is less like a typical B&B and more like staying with friends. A beautiful period home just around the corner from the main street and with just two rooms for guests. From the moment we arrived we felt like we were welcome and the hosts were genuinely glad to have us. We hired both rooms, one with a queen-sized bed and private bathroom and the other with double and single beds with ensuite shower. Both rooms are on a separate wing to the rest of the house and are very nicely appointed; immaculately clean with everything you could need. Breakfast was wonderful and served in the lovely private dining room downstairs.
For us, this is the only place to stay in Barny.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LUFCObiwan
Carole N, Owner at Newgate House, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
"Like staying with friends" is the nicest thing you could say. Thank you, Carole
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I stayed 2 nights at Newgate House, what a find!
Lovely large twin room, one bed a single the second a small double I think. Very comfortable bed, lovely linen and duvet, I slept very well.
The room is large enough to have a small cottage settee and table at the end of the bed; a nice place to sit and relax. There's also a wonderful old wardrobe with old fashioned drawers inside as well as hanging space.
Good shower in the ensuite, everywhere was very clean, just perfect.
Breakfast both mornings was fabulous, the best crispy bacon! All served in a beautiful dining room, I felt very spoilt, thank you Carole for a comfortable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank big-blue-eyes
Carole N, Owner at Newgate House, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
It's my pleasure. Thank you for your kind words. The comfy bed in the twin gets lots of praise - it is a normal double, I guess the old fashioned bedstead makes it look smaller.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We had a lovely and all to brief stay here. The room was spotless, the service outstanding and the breakfast went above and beyond! We'll definitely be back, the location is perfect for exploring the town, the castle and the museum and we barely scratched the service.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Effie W
Grantham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

This has got to be one of the best BnBs I have ever stayed in!! Carole was lovely and friendly. She was very helpful in telling me where I could find food for dinner and even set me a place in the dining room for me. For breakfast she made the most amazing pancakes for me which really made me week! I was just gutted I couldn't manage all 5!
The double room was huge and very airy and overlooked the street but I couldn't really hear the traffic. The bed was huge and very comfy with lovely plump pillows and a lovely warm duvet. Just a shame I couldn't get the fairy lights to work just to try them out but didn't really matter. The bathroom was also huge and lovely toasty warm. It had a really big roll top bath with a separate shower and a really cool *Bob the Billduck* rubber ducky which was a lovely extra and a dressing gown in the bedroom. There was tea and coffee making facilities in the room too with real milk and amazing sugar cubes (sorry I ate most of the cubes).
If the BnB was closer to home I would definitely stay there more often just for the huge comfy bed and pancakes for breakfast!!! However I will just have to wait for my next trip north. Thanks for a lovely stay and hopefully it won't be too long till I'm back.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Faith C
Carole N, Owner at Newgate House, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for your kind words and don't worry about the sugar cubes! I'm sorry the fairy lights were out, a new bulb fixed the problem.
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stopped at Newgate House whilst in Barnard Castle for a wedding - it is a lovely place to stay! The accommodation is so comfortable and the house is amazing with everything you need. We had a very warm welcome from the owners who also cooked a fantastic breakfast for us in the morning. We would definitely recommend this to anyone and would love to stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimLydR
Carole N, Owner at Newgate House, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you. It's nice to know you were happy with our service.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is just one of the best places to stay in the United Kingdom whether you are away on business or at your leisure, a real home away from home and should be winning award after award.

My double room was excellently appointed, had a wonderful bed complimented by some lovely crisp, snug linen (did not want to get up in the morning), room was brilliantly decorated and spotlessly clean, the room benefited from all the modern touches such as a free view TV and dvd player plus free Wi-Fi. All you could ask for.

The bathroom was next door to the room and was also superb, lovely roll top bath, separate shower and also spotlessly clean. The bathrobes were a lovely touch, as were the fluffy pillows.

Breakfast was a highlight, nicely cooked with high quality ingredients.

Couple all this with a lovely, friendly, knowledgeable host in Carole, I cannot wait to go back again in the very near future
A great place to stay and tremendous value for money.

Room Tip: there are only two so take you pick....ask about parking.