“Tapas in Barnard Castle”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tapas In Teesdale - Los Toreros Muertos
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Homemade food all sourced locally, breakfast light lunches, daily specials, delicious cakes and free wifi
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We have eaten here twice now - got to be good if you go back for seconds. You book your table for the evening so there is no rush. We ordered the cold meat and cheese platter to get us started and then picked dishes as they were offered at the table. The waitresses were polite and helpful, and the owner made sure everything was ok for us. We will be going back again soon

Reviewed 5 May 2014

From the initial e-mails when making the booking to the welcome on arrival and the superb service throughout this was a perfect evening from start to finish. The quality of the food was superb and great value for the money. The building is quirky and atmospheric and made for a relaxing evening. Can't wait to return.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

Isn't a 3 and probably falls just short of a 4! Very friendly attentive service from Hannah? Small menu of mains and choice of starters offered to your table. Of these starters the pickled anchovies were lovely and fine olives too. Our mains were patatas bravas, ok. Tender squid, lovely kebab skewers and cold meat platter. The creme catalana desert was however superb. Our bill came to about £60 for an awful lot of food and drinks. Let downs for us were the plastic table cloths and the squeeze to get to our table. There wasn't a lot of space! It is a very nice atmosphere and was nice for a change.

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Booked a table for 10 for a friends birthday, none of who had been before, they put is in the snug which seated us all and there only us in there, which was perfect as we can get a bit loud!!!! We left it up to the owners advice of what dishes to choose and she brought us a lovely mixture of dishes, from cold ones to hot ones, each one as delicious as the last. Service and friendliness was excellent and we all agreed the cost was indeed great value for money. A real cracking night, my advice is to definitely try it!!!

1  Thank Joozie
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I am rating this on my overall experience. We were welcomed with a complimentary drink which was lovely. Unfortunately despite being told that the table was ours for the evening the service did feel rushed. While I'm aware that I shouldn't compare this to other tapas bars I have visited (in Barcelona or indeed the fabulous Barrafina in London) in all honesty the food was quite acceptable and tasty.
Unfortunately though the waitress was rude. I'm sure she felt like she was doing us a favour actually being there! It was a quiet Friday night which is unusual so she certainly wasn't busy. We decided to end our meal with a dessert. There were four desserts on the menu including Creme Catalan which is a favourite of mine.

When I ordered " Creme Catalan please" the waitress SNAPPED back at me " Is that the brûlée or the pannacotta? - "ENGLISH?!"
Well I was taken aback and embarrassed. Surely as a waitress she should have an idea of what is actually on the menu (especially when it has only four desserts) and taking an order for a Creme Catalan is hardly complicated or particularly Spanish.
My husband and friends were astonished but to be honest she was downright rude and made me feel uncomfortable. This was a pity as both of the proprietors were friendly and chatty. We finished our drinks and adjourned to the pub.

Denise H, Owner at Tapas In Teesdale - Los Toreros Muertos, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Hello
I am sorry to read your review as obviously we strive for customer satisfaction.
I can assure you that there is so rush in getting clients to leave. We are usually fully booked in advance and turn people away rather than have to rush guests or have more than one sitting, etc. The night in question, there was a table of guests who didn't leave until 11.30pm and we were clearing up until well after midnight.
Hannah gets excellent feedback as a waitress so we are really surprised to hear that she was rude to you. I will be speaking to her this evening with regards to this.
The reason all the dishes are in English and Spanish is because many people are unsure as to what a dish is otherwise. I don't like calling a dessert creme bruille, but "flan", which is the correct Spanish name, would make people think of a completely different dessert. The same with crema Catalana - most don't know what that is.
As I said, I am really surprised if she was rude as she has an excellent manner and reputation with our regulars. Over 75% of our clients are now regulars so customer service is very important. I will be looking into this.