“Tranquil setting, caring staff & scrummy breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of YHA Langdon Beck

YHA Langdon Beck
Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Tranquil setting, caring staff & scrummy breakfast”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have just read the articles about this place it prompted me to add my praise of this hostel.

Having become used to decent hotels I was a bit wary of staying in a hostel for the first time but it's on my bucket list of things to do in my new life - what an experience. The whole place was light and airy, comfortable bed, clean and tidy showers and toilets.

The staff were there to help with anything needed - including the loan of a towel which I hadn’t even thought about packing - nothing was too much trouble for them.

WHAT A BREAKFAST - full mashing (Yorkshire expression for a full English) Better than a lot of hotels I have stayed in! and also a great choice available if you don’t want a cooked breakfast.
I didn't have the evening meal as I had already made arrangements to eat in the pub but having looked at the menu - I would eat there if I am up that way again

Bikers are made welcome (which as an ex-biker is fantastic) somewhere you know you can meet up with others and enjoy a bite to eat - even doing special hot sandwich and drink deal on Sundays.

Room Tip: All the rooms are dormitory style and I was lucky that they werent busy - just asked to look at them...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Banstead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

We were very warmly welcomed and nothing was too much trouble for our hosts. They made us food when we first turned up and then later, offered us a torch and a lift back from the pub. Next day we had a great breakfast and they made us lunch to take with us on our onward hike along the Pennine Way. I noticed also that they helped our a young motorcyclist who was stuck with a broken down bike and that they ave signs encouraging motorcyclist.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here during our walk on the Pennine Way. We arrived very late, but were given a warm welcome. We had a good night's sleep and woke up to eat a well prepared breakfast. The packed lunch was also good value, so as the other reviewers have pointed out, you should try the food! The remote location is lovely, and we ended our evening with a drink in the garden. Very nice!

I also noticed that this hostel had very good recycling facilities.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

We stayed in here whilst doing the Pennine way. It was the best food I have had for the whole Pennine way, so far. The rooms were clean and tidy. It is located 5 mins away from the Pennine Way. I would highly recommend it to all

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Rtplatts
Barnsley, England
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

New management are excellent. Nothing too much trouble and great food quality. Great drying facilities. Sells beer! Pub is at least 20 mins walk so drink in the hostel. Would stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Terry061
sheffield
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

Having stayed in many youth hostels before I know what to expect. In comparison to others we have stayed in this one was tired. Curtains needed cleaning / changing, garden in entrance area was overgrown and neglected, kitchen had a broken cooker and one with very intermittent gas pressure and living room sofas were grubby. However, it had comfortable beds and clean bedding and there aren't many other choices in the area.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Six of us enjoyed a nights stay at Langdon Beck while cycling in the North Pennines. The hostel manager Jamie gave us a great welcome, served us some generous portions fine food - Somerset brie & beetroot tart- and we stayed in clean rooms which had great views. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2012
#16 of 20 in Barnard Castle
The Old Well Inn
The Old Well Inn
#9 of 20 in Barnard Castle

Been to YHA Langdon Beck? Share your experiences!