All reviewsyouth hostelpennine waylounge areapacked lunchdrying roomhigh cupgreat sleepreading lightsone nightbedroom windowstayed herecomfortable staycooked breakfastroadsidebedsfacilitiesforce
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here with my Aunt and son (aged 7), was only our 2nd experience of staying in a Youth Hostel, was clean, comfortable and inviting.
Matt the guy looking after everyone was great, was really nice with my son and was made to feel most welcome, he does a great breakfast too :)
Thank you.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay. The location is ideal for walkers and those exploring Teesdale. There are a variety of room sizes including a 5 bed room which is not easy to find in most hotels. The 5 bed room is easy access and a good find for those with mobility issues. It also has an en suite (the rest are based on shared bathrooms). Our children were very welcome and we enjoyed great food and drinks. Will be staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have recently got back from a coast to coast bike ride with a friend. We came off the pennines later than expected and arrived at the Landgdon beck hotel as it was the only light we could see in the dark. In the bar we found a lovely couple having a meal and they ran the local YH which was actually closed for business. They took pity on us and agreed to open the youth hostel for the night for us to dry off and get warm instead of having to camp out another night. They saved our day to say the least! We met them back at the hostel and were greeted with the option for hot drinks and a lovely place to relax. The hospitality from them was second to none as we took advantage of their drying room, towels, hot shower and nice clean accommodation. We awoke to a fine breakfast with smiley faces. What a pleasure it was to stay there. If i'm in the area I will surely stay again. I can highly recommend this place and people to anyone traveling this way. They were TRUE STARS. We can't thank them enough :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I have just read the articles about this place it prompted me to add my praise of this hostel.

Having become used to decent hotels I was a bit wary of staying in a hostel for the first time but it's on my bucket list of things to do in my new life - what an experience. The whole place was light and airy, comfortable bed, clean and tidy showers and toilets.

The staff were there to help with anything needed - including the loan of a towel which I hadn’t even thought about packing - nothing was too much trouble for them.

WHAT A BREAKFAST - full mashing (Yorkshire expression for a full English) Better than a lot of hotels I have stayed in! and also a great choice available if you don’t want a cooked breakfast.
I didn't have the evening meal as I had already made arrangements to eat in the pub but having looked at the menu - I would eat there if I am up that way again

Bikers are made welcome (which as an ex-biker is fantastic) somewhere you know you can meet up with others and enjoy a bite to eat - even doing special hot sandwich and drink deal on Sundays.

Room Tip: All the rooms are dormitory style and I was lucky that they werent busy - just asked to look at them all and chose - just ask the staff - all rooms will be quiet due to the location
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We were very warmly welcomed and nothing was too much trouble for our hosts. They made us food when we first turned up and then later, offered us a torch and a lift back from the pub. Next day we had a great breakfast and they made us lunch to take with us on our onward hike along the Pennine Way. I noticed also that they helped our a young motorcyclist who was stuck with a broken down bike and that they ave signs encouraging motorcyclist.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple