“Upcoming Visit”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Appleby
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Upcoming Visit”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We haven't actually stayed here yet, we're visiting in July for my boyfriend's birthday, but from looking at the excellent recent comments I'm very much looking forward to our visit. I have corresponded with the front of house staff by email and telephone and have found them to be professional, accommodating and very friendly! I have read the worst reviews of this hotel (as I always do before visits) and I must say, LOVING Nigel's responses! Businesses are so vulnerable to online reviewers nowadays as there's no way to predict the mentality of your guests.But it's so refreshing to see honest responses from the owner rather than generic comments which can leave you wondering if there was any truth in the comments. I have no concerns about staying here and feel sorry for the hotel and staff that they have to endure such reviews. Can't wait to visit!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nemeny

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
chesterlestreet
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have just returned from the most fantastic weekend stay at The Tufton Arms in Appleby.
From the moment I booked, I was already impressed by the owner, Nigel's helpful and welcoming communication. Things just got better and better..... Smooth check in and without hesitation Nigel took us to our rooms, offering to carry our luggage.... He was a cheery chappy with a lovely way of informing us of the breakfast times etc and meal arrangements... Appleby is a lovely wee town an we found everyone to be very friendly which helped us feel at home. Our evening meal at the Tufton Arms was superb!! Excellent fish choices..... Nigel even gave us the chance to get our order in "before the rush" and it was good advice as the diners just came rolling in.... Our rooms were clean, well equipped with comfy beds.... Fresh towels daily despite being happy to reuse.... Molton Brown toileteries mmmmm ..... We were genuinely sad to leave.... Thank you to ALL staff for making our stay an exceptional one..... Keep doing what you are doing Nigel.... It works !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank choozytraveller
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Myself, my husband and 2 children and large boxer dog stayed 2 nights earlier this week. We were delighted with the hotel on all levels. The room was like home from home with lovely bedding, great pillows and in our room lovely Molton Brown products which again I use at home.

The food was excellent- it sways more to a fish palette(which is my 1st choice anyway) although there are plenty of alternatives for the meat eaters & vegetarians. I asked to change a menu choice to suit my daughter and this was done easily and with a smile.

The breakfasts were lovely too and I enjoyed the lighter smoked salmon & scrambled eggs choice.

The staff were excellent right from the front desk to the ladies who cleaned the rooms. I would definitely wish to stay again. There are lots of walks around the area and the lakes were not too far away.

Room Tip: We were given a lovely period room in the main hotel which was ample in size for the 4 of us. This h...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank AmandaMeadows
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you very much for your generous review, much appreciated, I have copied it to all the staff! We have made a lot of changes recently and it is great to have such positive feedback.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

From the word go we arrived early afternoon and they were ready for us and extremely accommodating. The room was perfectly sized for me my husband and our dog. We checked in and were shown to our room. My husband was interested in fly fishing and Nigel the owner was quick to help and assist him and explained where he and could not fish. Plenty of trout in the river Eden and what a beautiful spot to stop and take in the country air. The Sunday lunch beef roast was sumptuous and the meat melted as it entered our mouths. Each of the sitting rooms in the hotel were cosy welcoming warm and just so beautifully decorated in the period of the hotel.
All of the staff were superb very professional and looked to me that they really took pride in their chores. Reception was beautifully set with flowers of beauty and they smelt delightful.
I will be returning again. Anyone who was asked in the hotel by the staff how was their stay, their food, their room I could hear no complaints.. Truly delightful Nigel and Lynn are both clearly passionate about their hotel indeed..
Mrs Taylor of Manchester

Room Tip: Welcomed dogs too which was just super.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lindsay T
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a lovely review. I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed your Sunday lunch carved from the Victorian carving trolley, it was a lovely joint of beef!
The River Eden has continued to fish well for the wild brown trout and we have had a number of guests who have caught their first trout in the last few weeks, great fun. Thank you once again.
East Riding of Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We called in after a long drive for lunch and beverages. Coffee was ordered for one and TEA for one was brought out; Tea was sent back. Coffee was served in a cup and lukewarm; it was sent back to be replaced with a pot of coffee, hot water and milk. Prawn Marie sandwich was ordered but no one knew if there were any prawns but hey ho a Prawn Marie sandwich was brought out. Roll Mop herring was ordered to be accompanied by bread. The herring was brought out but no bread. When staff were asked where the bread was they said they didn't realise it came with it. 5 minutes later no bread and no staff around. Eventually the bread arrived. Staff were very slow and didn't seem to know what they were doing let alone what was on the menu. Overpriced, un-appetising and terrible service. Will not be using this establishment again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chosen-Path
Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to write your review. I am obviously sorry and disappointed that you did not enjoy your lunch and that the standards of service were not to our normal standards. Unfortunately with out the help of any dates I have been unable to trace who served you despite waiting for some staff to return from holiday to inquire if it was them. I am therefore unable to comment on what happened. I would point out as you can judge from the other reviews that your experience was not typical of our hotel. We have been running new dishes and new fish menus and trying very hard with our food. These have been very well received and it is very depressing from my point of view to fall down over such simple things. It would be a shame if you did not give us another chance, there is some brilliant food available served in lovely surroundings by friendly staff and I would ask you to reconsider your intention not to stop again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

A pleasant hotel with good communal area and nice bar with friendly staff. Room was clean. We ate one night in the hotel and it was fairly average to be fair. But all in all, a pleasant hotel well placed to explore parts of The Lake District. There are a lot of amazing places to visit nearby.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank tinyevil
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Great hotel in excellent location, we stayed two nights the food in this hotel is fabulous, they also have a very extensive wine list. staff are very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Would definitely recommend. In my opinion the only downside to this hotel is the lack of parking, and it would benefit from an outdoor seating area (even a couple of benches outside the restaurant).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christine W
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Thank you very much for your kind review, I am glad that we helped you enjoy your Easter! Now that we have got into May our wine shop and cafe are open in the day times Monday to Saturday and the outside terrace that goes with this is full of flowers and open all the time for an outside drink or meal if you wish. In the daytime the cafe has a creperie and we have even started offering American Blueberry pancakes with Maple syrup! At lunchtimes we also offer dishes from our fish menus, so this week on a nice day we had customers eating bowls of mussels and chips al fresco accompanied by bottles of Muscadet!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
#4 of 15 in Kendal
Royal Oak Appleby
Royal Oak Appleby
#1 of 16 in Appleby

Been to Tufton Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!