“Lovely, Thank you!”
Review of Tufton Arms Hotel

Tufton Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Appleby
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed for 1 night in room 1. The room itself is absolutely beautiful. The bathroom is exceptional. It is decorated so tastefully in keeping with the age of the building. It is very clean throughout. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well.
There are a couple of things which let the hotel down, the parking is very limited and perhaps would be improved by having numbering to be allocated to the rooms? The reception desk seems to be very dark, with the table in front of it too low for writing on.
The meals we had in the restaurant both the evening meal and breakfast were unfortunately not to the same standard as the hotel. But restaurant aside, the hotel room and reception staff were lovely and couldn't be improved on. Well done!

Room Tip: Room 1 is beautiful and well worth the extra money.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Troy2409

Reviewed 24 June 2014

The hotel is in the old market place on the main street. We were made very welcome. Car parking was difficult but the Manger went out and moved his car so we could park in his space. The suite we were given was at the front and I commented that a previous reviewer had said it was noisy but I was told that it was generally only Saturdays that could be noisy and we would not be there then. However it was very noisy. The main road is very busy and traffic starts at about 5:30 in the morning. The weather was hot so we had to have the windows open, but even closed it would still have been noisy.
Apart from this problem, everything else was fine. The room was large, the bathroom obviously refurbished and the bed very comfortable. All was clean and tidy.
Breakfasts were very good. We ate in, the first two nights. The food was excellent but the service awful. Don't expect to get served at the time you book for. You could wait up to an hour. If you requested anything, it was generally forgotten. Reluctantly, the third night we ate out.
If you ask for a room at the back and don't mind waiting for your food, we would recommend this hotel. We used an excellent Groupon offer to stay here at a very reduced rate.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kada33
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed in room 4 which was large and airy but being friday night there seemed to be a lot of noise coming from pub opposite so didn't make for a good nights sleep. Meal in restaurant was average and same with breakfast. Would have preferred to have been served hot food than choose from a buffet. Also why no loo seat in bathroom?

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

we stayed here through an offer off groupon we did upgrade to a superiour room as i wanted a bath aswell as shower , well worth the upgrade it was very spacious and i slept like a log !! the food was lovely and staff very helpful and friendly , its just ashame its in appleby as for wot we wanted there wasnt much there in appleby but i would deffinately stay again and have train journeys to other parts of the lakes which we did to Carlisle and drove to kendal x its a 10 out of 10 for me and i am very fussy x thank you x

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank lynnevans1969
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Usefully located in Appleby in centre of village and close to the river. Nothing special here. Rooms ok (particularly 1st floor) and generally quiet throughout. Catering is uninspiring, although breakfast offers a good range.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The top cover on the bed looked as if it had last been laundered around the time of the Millennium celebrations but I had no reason to complain as my visit was short and I simply removed it each night. Ditto with the 'designer' bed cushions, as these things make my skin crawl just looking at them, and no, I don't have OCD.

Ask yourself one thing, do you think these top covers and cushions are removed each time a guest leaves and are replaced with fresh ones? I'd confidently say, probably not, as the cost would be astronomical and keeping so many apparently one-off items in stock certainly prohibitive.

I am sure that the white sheets, pillowcases and towels will be freshly laundered, but these horrid and mangy looking top covers and bed cushions probably see the dry cleaners once in many, many years...if at all. I am not having a dig at the chambermaids, as otherwise the room was spotless. However, to the operator/owners of this hotel and all other hotels who have these harbingers and hosts of germs and Heavens only knows what, then I say, stop pulling the wool or mangy top cover over the eyes of guests.

Why not get rid of these filthy things and replace with white duvet covers which will get removed and replaced when a guest leaves and then laundered by the professionals...and aside the OCD I don't have, I don't work for a laundry company either.

Simple white covers may not be as aesthetically or design pleasing, however, clean wins in my book....every single time.

Aside the covers and cushions issues, I'm sorry to say that the menu was limited with mediocre offerings and the food served was less than average.

The toilets, which were up one flight of stairs from Reception, were quite, quite awful. I do realise that it is an old building, but certainly beware if you have any mobility issues and need to visit the loo (which resembled an ex storage cupboard).

Sorry Tufton Arms, you're simply not for me and before I am subject to any tirade from the manager, I fully acknowledge and accept that I am clearly not for Tufton Arms either.

Sometimes criticism is constructive and if the hotel rids itself of the horrid covers and cushions, re-vamps the loos and allows Chef some creativity with menu items, then I'd say things could be dramatically different.

On the plus side, the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Aoibheann D
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Terrible stay, hotel is dated & unwelcoming, absolutely terrible service - staff completely uninterested and rude, the whole place is outdated & one to miss. Had an awful nights sleep & very poor menu in the restaurant. Don't waste your time or your night!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank LSmithUnitedKingdom
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

I must confess to being very upset over this review and asked trip advisor to take it down. I cannot
trace you staying and there is no specific complaint. It is faceless and extremely unfair. The hotel if you did stay I can accept may not be to your taste but it is to mine and to most other people that we have the pleasure of looking after. Your comments about my staff being rude are simply so far from the truth it is both laughable and sad that you can get away with writing this. What your motives are I have no idea, I cannot have it out with you as I do not know who you are. What I am going to do withdraw my advertising with trip advisor that I pay for out of protest.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
The George Hotel
#5 of 11 in Penrith
15 mi away
Macdonald Leeming House, Ullswater

Been to Tufton Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!