Tufton Arms Hotel
US$263
US$235
US$176
Hotels.com
All reviewsoverlooking the squaremolton brown toiletrieswine shophoneymoon suitebuyagift voucherhotel ownerrib of beefcosy barconservatory restaurantenjoyable staytraditional hotelbuy a gift voucherresidents loungeboth nightsmodern bathroomstandard roomcomfortable lounge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I'm not going into too much detail but this is a lovely old town centre building and easy to picture it as an old coaching inn. Perhaps we were lucky but parking was not an issue. The decor suited the style of the place and was fine. Some places might do with a bit of a touch up here and there but that's being more picky than I'd like to. The room was very comfortable and adequately equipped as was the en-suite. Our room was at the front of the building and I was waiting for the earlier described "boy racers" but .........maybe they've grown up a bit?
My wife and I were there for three nights, (a Groupon deal so a real bargain), and we dined there each night. Breakfast is such that I didn't need lunch and dinner is very good quality and well presented. I think it's a good measure of a place that they maintain such high standards even when, as in this town, they have little or no apparent competition.
Saving the best to last, the staff were all so helpful and friendly. We didn't "test" them but I'm absolutely sure that nothing would be too much trouble for them.
Thanks Tufton folks.

1  Thank Dennis_Jo2013
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Stayed here for two nights . Room in annexe very poor no smoke alarms and no fire
Instructions in room. Asked for quiet room kept awake until very late by boy racers
In Appleby high street. Then for second morning running lorry to spar store arrived
At 6am and parked underneath the window. Room dated and mould in bathroom no
Excuse that is bad housekeeping. Breakfast on second morning what a farce. No hot
Food was out at 8am and still not out by 8.30am. The chef had obviously not turned
Up on time. All the staff were pleasant. Poor wifi in room. Overall this was not a good
Experience.

1  Thank marglichfield
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you very much for your helpful review. I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We did though endeavour to give you a quiet room which was right on the back of the hotel so that you were away from the high street and market square. We are in the middle of a town though and it is not realistic for there to be no noise at all.

Your room is also the only room left in the hotel not to have had a refurb in the last five years. I quite like the bedroom but the room will benefit from a new bathroom. My head chef did over sleep for breakfast and we were 30 minutes late getting underway, I am obviously very sorry for the inconvenience caused, however it is the only time that this has happened in the ten years or more that I have employed him so I guess that we are all human, he is aware of the problems that this caused and I trust that it will be 10years at least before he does it again!

Reviewed 11 July 2014

A gorgeous hotel, lovely food and facilities. Staff levels and training would improve this hotel out of all recognition.
Examples.
Booking in is advertised as 2 p.m. onwards. We had to wait in lounge until 3.35 p.m. because our room was not ready. Reason given; hotel was full night before and staff have not had time to get all rooms ready. When ready the room was immaculate.
Went out on 2nd day and came back to hotel to have a rest and a nice cup of tea in our lovely room. Room not serviced, no beds made and tea and coffee supply had not been replenished.
Reason given; hotel busy and staff had not had time to get round to our room. Again had to wait in lounge until room was ready. When finished the room was immaculate.
Restaurant staff seemed to need a lot more training as did reception. Kitchen staff obviously know what they are doing as the food was very good indeed. Even smoked fish for breakfast.
Back entrance was littered with discarded equipment on view to guests as car park is next to kitchen back door.
A real shame that this hotel is like it is as, with very little effort, it could be really good.
Not sure if it is on the way up or down as it is not on top of its' game.

Room Tip: Rooms at front are noisy according to other guests who were complaining.
3  Thank Josephine C
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you very much for the review, I am glad that you found the hotel lovely and the food excellent. You obviously had problems with your room not being ready and I apologise sincerely for this. We have been short handed with the housekeeping and are endeavouring to rectify the situation. Our girls do work very hard and as you rightly observe do a first class job. We have been here 25 years and not often had a problem with rooms not being ready, but recently a lot of customers have been arriving as early as 11am and all through lunch, as well as staying in their rooms and checking out as late as possible. We do our best to look after everybody but it is putting extra pressure on our housekeepers and we are considering putting the check in time back.

Our kitchen does back on to the middle of our car park, so we are in the public eye and generally we are quite tidy. The equipment you mention was a barbecue that I left there. We did a charity BBQ for a 120 people in Carlisle for the Eden Rivers Trust that we support and I dropped it of there when I returned to pressure wash it, but had a busy few days and it was there longer than I would have wished, however it is now cleaned and put away!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay here. We booked on a Groupon voucher and paid £40 to upgrade to a luxury room. Whilst I would not describe the room as luxury it was really nice. Large and airy with a really comfy king-size bed. I had a slight panic when I went to plug i the hair straighteners and discovered that the plug socket was for round plug prongs!! A quick call to reception and I was told were in the room to locate the more modern square one so panic over. We were in Room 9 at the front of the hotel and had no issues with noise even sleeping with the windows open as the weather was so hot. The saving with Groupon along with the upgrade made it good value. I am really surprised to find reviews that criticise the staff and quality of food as our experience is the total opposite! All staff members were welcoming and helpful and delivered a high standard of service. We had pre-booked a table for dinner for our first night and both ordered from the fish menu. Starters of whitebait and Cajun calamari and prawns. Both were delicious and cooked to perfection. Mains of Gumbo and seafood tagliatelle. Hubby loved the Gumbo and the seafood tagliatelle was the best I have had. It was in a wonderful sauce of chorizo, prawns, calamari and topped with wild sea trout. Absolutely superb. We had planned to go to the local Thai restaurant on night 2 (great reviews on TA) but after such a wonderful meal opted to dine at the hotel again and so glad we did. Starters of moulle marinere and scallops with black pudding. The mussels were plump and juicy in a tasty broth, the scallops were cooked to perfection. Mains of Gumbo for me after the rave review from hubby. Salmon, prawns, white fish and potatoes in a spicy sauce. So tasty. Hubby opted for Cod and Prawn Mornay and am told it was delicious. The breakfast menu is extensive with lots of choices. The full cooked is one of the best we have had anywhere in the UK and the smoked haddock with poached egg was cooked to perfection. All our meals were very well presented in a very pleasant setting in the conservatory overlooking the courtyard. Yes public toilet area are dated and parking is limited but in no way spoilt are enjoyment. WE will definitely be returning. Thank you for a lovely little break.

1  Thank Col123-123
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Arrived at reception & receptionist didn't even bother to stand up to take my groupon voucher from me. She did however take me to my room on the mews courtyard, informing me that my dog could not be left in room on his own. I asked if he was allowed in bar to which she replied without humour, "If he fits" Yes, we do have a large dog but we had paid extra for an upgrade to a bigger room.Lining paper in drawers of dresser really grubby.
Really looked forward to eating in Conservatory(sky lights in roof) fish restaurant with emphasis on "fresh fish delivered daily from Neves in Fleetwood" Ordered starters of baked garlic mushrooms with melted brie. Whilst waiting for starter to arrive, we noticed a very loud "chef" in restaurant who was drinking something through a straw. He re-entered kitchen area & our starter arrived, The mushrooms were swimming in a thin, bland soup-like substance with some rubbery pieces of brie curled on the surface. The bread smelt sweet- the smell you get from stale bread. Not a good start.
My main course of fresh fish & home made chips;-Both fish & chips were definitely frozen & tasteless & chips were certainly not "home made"
Entrance from mews courtyard to restaurant & bar smelt musty & toilet door faced this entrance. Quite off putting even before you reach the restaurant.Also staff smoking area at back of kitchen situated off courtyard looked dirty & loud conversations were overheard during the evening from the bedrooms & car park..Wine shop & Cafe bar quoted as available on site was closed.
This is the first poor review of many hotels visited over last 6 months- extremely disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or pub
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jan R

Thank you very much for your review. Firstly I must take issue with your comments on your meal. We bake our own bread and certainly do not use frozen fish or chips. We buy our fish little and often as we have a delivery every day apart from Sundays from Neves, so there is no need to freeze fish. Our chips we make every day and do not even have frozen chips in the freezer in case we run out. What we have done recently is change the way we cut them so that they are a little thicker in an effort to avoid a few of the ignorant comments that we have been getting. I eat them regularly myself and though it is the most difficult time of year for making chips until the new main crop comes through, it is still worth the extra effort involved.

Lastly your comments about my staff lacking humour is a bit rich. Your dog was simply the biggest dog I have ever seen almost the size of a donkey, simply awesome. To make a tongue in cheek comment about it fitting in the bar is hardly lacking in humour! You obviously like a style of service that large uniform hotels give, we are a small individual hotel, very friendly, accommodating and run by human beings. Our hotel is a lovely old Victorian building, but on the downside poses restrictions, I wish that we did not have a toilet by the back entrance. It is also our disabled loo, which we have to have by law and the only place we could put it without losing a lounge or a part of the restaurant.