“Could not have done more for us.”
Review of Tufton Arms Hotel

Tufton Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Appleby
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Could not have done more for us.”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Stayed one night on a cycling journey from Glasgow to Leeds. they even looked after our bikes for us. Very reasonable price wise and they let us have an early breakfast on Sunday. Well done to all who helped on our stay.

Reception is welcoming and a variety of places to sit and have tea coffee or something stronger.

Rooms are beautifully decorated and bathrooms are very well appointed.

A good spread at breakfast before you tackle the menu.

Room Tip: Avoid room 7 as there is a terrible view out the back if you like that sort of thing I think rooms...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The staff were welcoming and very helpful -- especially as my train was delayed, missing the last connection to Appleby, and they organised a late taxi to meet me at a more distant station (thanks, Tanya). Comfortable huge bedroom on the first floor with a separate sitting area. Overall, the hotel has quite an old-fashioned quiet feel to it. Excellent breakfast and delicious dinner. Hotel is thoroughly recommended, and there is lovely walking from the front door -- and surprisingly good local bus services if you start to go lame.

Hotel is 5 minutes walk (down) from the station, about 10 minutes back.

I stayed Sunday and Monday, and it was agreeably quiet at night (cf other reviews), but in country towns, life does start quite early so being woken at six or seven am in a market town centre would not be regarded by me as unexpected or unreasonable -- not that I was.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Booked this hotel as part of a Groupon deal. Booked into room 6 - lovely little room that although was slightly small was very adequate and very clean.
Ate in the restaurant on the Friday night and the food was lovely and great value - 3 courses each for £44. Breakfast next morning was also very nice.
Drinks in the hotel were average hotel prices - £6.20 for a small wine and a vodka and tonic.
The only issues we had were the possibility of venturing outside of Appleby on an evening - there were no taxi services at all that would pick us up to take us anywhere which was really disappointing. Also the hotel wouldnt help us with a taxi they just kept supplying us with telephone numbers advising us to try them!! No offer to try and ring and organise one for us. The only other niggle was as the hotel serves alot of fish the hotel seemed to permenently smell of fish in the public areas - it was fine in the bedrooms.
Overall a really enjoyable stay and we would definitely return to the hotel although we didnt really like Appleby - other areas of the Lake District are much nicer.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rachel S
Darwen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Just back after spending two VERY enjoyable nights at The Tufton Arms Hotel.

Our room right off the courtyard was bright airy and very comfortable. Two breakfasts and two dinners later our party came away well full and well impressed.

The staff, though many were quite young were impeccable in their attentiveness and helpfulness. Amy even found time on a busy first evening to befriend my very demanding granddaughter. Brilliant service!!!!

In DIRECT contrast to philip l's criticism of the food and dining room ambiance can I assure him that on BOTH of our visits it was bright cheerful and BUSY.. not JUST with guests either. Many of those using the restaurant were locals and obviously known to the staff as regulars. I can fully support "the boss's" response to philip. The chips and fish WERE obviously fresh and very good.

Dennis_Jo 2013 ... decorating is in progress !!!

My only criticism was that our first night was interrupted by the all night operation of the massive extraction unit from the kitchens. As it was NOT on throughout the second night I can only assume that someone did not switch it off at the end of the evening. The rest was first class.

Bottom line is often.."would you go back??" Most surely YES from myself and daughter.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms 21/22 IF you want to avoid the stairs. IF lucky you can park right outside the door...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank depribsec
st helens
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We enjoyed our stay here and I would have given it 4 stars for a couple of little niggles. Firstly we had to scrabble about on the floor to find a plug socket that would allow us to use an ordinary phone charger.Buffet breakfast nothing wrong with that but bacon was always burnt and toaster didn't toast or burnt! Clean hotel and friendly enough staff. I would stay here again despite my niggles. We had a Groupon deal which I felt was worth it but I doubt I would pay full price to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank northernlass04
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Overall a nice town/village centre hotel, breakfasts very good with smoked haddock to die for, but evening meals need a lot of improvement. When we dined restaurant was empty, which gave rise to suspicion. Meals arrived , and so called hand cut chips were frozen, and the fresh fish was also frozen ?, second meal a tiger prawn curry with sticky coconut rice, prawns were not tiger variety and the rice was just boiled rice ?? On complaining to the waiter he proceeded to argue with me at the table, saying he knew best. I have stopped in many hotels and have eaten hundreds of meals and I'm 60+ years old, this little boy was no more than 21.

again a lot of room for improvement

Room Tip: we were on top floor room 109, and it was an excellent room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank philip l
Nigel M, Owner at Tufton Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel and Appleby itself, it is a charming town. I must take issue with you over your evening meal. We just do not have frozen chips or fish. We have deliveries six days a week of fresh fish from Neves of Fleetwood and buy little and often. Unfortunately this means we do run out on occasions but the fish is always fresh. Our tiger prawns also come from the same source.

Our chips we make fresh but cut them with a slicer to speed things up as we use a lot of chips. We have never had frozen chips on the premises even as a back up. I am very surprised that you could not taste the difference, even if the presentation is uniform from the slicer. Since your comments we have gone for a slightly thicker cut on the slicer to try and avoid this problem of perception. As regards your comments about our young waiter, he arguably should have taken the diplomatic path of not arguing, but unfortunately being 60 does not make somebody right. He knew perfectly well that our chips were not frozen or the fish as he sees them prepared each day, he is also rightly proud of what we provide and stuck up for the truth even though he is young and good on him!
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I'm not going into too much detail but this is a lovely old town centre building and easy to picture it as an old coaching inn. Perhaps we were lucky but parking was not an issue. The decor suited the style of the place and was fine. Some places might do with a bit of a touch up here and there but that's being more picky than I'd like to. The room was very comfortable and adequately equipped as was the en-suite. Our room was at the front of the building and I was waiting for the earlier described "boy racers" but .........maybe they've grown up a bit?
My wife and I were there for three nights, (a Groupon deal so a real bargain), and we dined there each night. Breakfast is such that I didn't need lunch and dinner is very good quality and well presented. I think it's a good measure of a place that they maintain such high standards even when, as in this town, they have little or no apparent competition.
Saving the best to last, the staff were all so helpful and friendly. We didn't "test" them but I'm absolutely sure that nothing would be too much trouble for them.
Thanks Tufton folks.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dennis_Jo2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appleby
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Shap Wells Hotel
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The George Hotel
The George Hotel
#4 of 10 in Penrith
Edenhall Country House Hotel

Been to Tufton Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!