Highlands Unbridled Trail Riding & Trekking Centre
Review Highlights
There are not enough words of praise in the English language. . .

If ONLY there were more than 5 stars to award! Dominique and the horses at Highlands Unbridled are... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
cheryl j
Helena, Montana
Wonderful trip, great sights

We did a 6 day riding trek with the Outlander sightseeing extension. The horses were great... read more

Reviewed 9 October 2023
LeslieG1193
Saint Louis, Missouri

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews coast to coast working holiday day trek well taken care long days riding experience great riding loch ness hour hack days riding an unforgettable experience an experienced rider beautiful landscape behind the scenes lovely horses experience scotland fun ride
Selected filters
Reviewed 9 October 2018

This was the second trip I have done horse trekking. This was a trip of a lifetime. Jan and Graham were wonderful guides/supporters. I rode Maverick, a gorgeous sweet highland pony who had no problem with the terrain we were on. The properties they booked us into were perfect; you really get your money's worth. I can't recommend it enough and I will be back!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Because of some really bad reviews here I arrived rather cautious. I was worried to find horses in bad health and Tour guides without experience. Beeing a vet myself I feared the most for badly treated animals. I saw lots of pictures of horses in holiday riding centres all over the world often in bad shape. Arriving at base in Tain I was amazed how healthy the horses looked there even the rather old ones which are no longer used in the long distance rides and are simply to fit to retire completely. They do light work around the base every now and then so they wont get bored. All horses and ponies can stay out in fields till " work" arrives and are turned out immediately after the rides again. Something dressage or jumping horses can only dream about where I live.
Talking to the staff it became clear to me pretty soon that they are mostly very experienced riders with a heart for horses and they choose the horses or ponies well, always checking ability, hight and weight of the riders first.
I really enjoyed the Great Glen Ride with all my heart. The horses did a lot of work during the day but there where enough breaks for them to be fed and watered sufficiently. As soon as the saddles came off they enjoyed big open fields with plenty of gras every day wherever we stayed for the night.
As we were a small group I got the chance to help one of the other riders sometimes and could so get a closer look on all ponies hoofes and backs. They all where pretty sound! And as it was September already and the trekking season soon to be over I was relieved to find the ponies in this excellent condition after weeks of long distances. Of course there are never all horses coming on every ride so they have days off in between the rides.
Accommodations were what I was used to in the highlands and staff always were friendly and welcoming, my request for a vegetarian diet no problem at all.
On the basis of our self- declaration included in the booking process they matched us with a ponies and I was amazed how perfectly these matches fit!
I can absolutely not understand some bad reviews about Highlands Unbridled, not in any way! I can highly recommend staying with them and will do so again myself, hopefully next year as I have to save up money first, then yes it is expensive holidays but one has to see that it costs a lot to maintain a center like this not only in the summer but also in winter when there are less guests visiting. And as I know what keeping horses costs, owning 3 ponies myself and after I saw that it is cared for old and retired horses too I think it's far from overpriced like someone wrote here!
All in all- best 5 days of the year!

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank Marina S
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Went on this trail ride in may and had an awesome time! Both horses and the guests were well taken care of. Staff were absolutely great people. Guestfriendly and very professional. Would go back and do another ride in an instant!

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

My mum and I have been to highlands unbridled for 7 day working holidays twice now - once when they were in Brora and once at their new location - and I can’t wait for our next holiday here!

Jan and Graham are wonderful hosts, they took us in as part of the family and welcomed us to their home. At our first visit, they even took us to a local Ceilidh (I hope that’s the right spelling!) - a Scottish dance with live music. This was so much fun and a fantastic start to a fantastic holiday.

The horses at highland unbridled (HU) are the friendliest I’ve ever met. I ride regularly at a school in Bristol and the horses there have mood swings and tempers that can be quite frightening. The horses at HU are always friendly, approachable and just fab to ride.

Having stayed for 7 days on 2 occasions, I feel like my mum and I got a good feel for how things work and I was thrilled to see how well these horses were being cared for. I’ve seen dentist and farrier visits, the careful care given to horses with ailments and how attentive all the staff are to each horses need. If I was a horse, this is definitely where I would want to be!

The riding itself was fabulous - as a working holiday we spent time in the morning helping in the yard and would spend at least 2h riding every afternoon before coming back to a lovely home cooked meal in the evening.
My mum and I when we first visited were very new to riding and we received excellent instruction on riding and were given horses who were perfect for begginers like us. By the final day of our first holiday, we even both managed a short canter!! This is something I never would have done had I not had complete faith in the horses and instructors and it was one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life.
The second time we returned, I had much more experience riding as after our first holiday, I decided I would like to ride regularly.
This meant my mum and I were at different levels during this holiday but we still had a fantastic time and the yard catered for us both.

I long to go back to highlands unbridled and have plans to do so in the next year or so. My partner (who has never even sat on a horse) is even keen to come along!

Thank you so much Jan and Graham for welcoming us into your home and into the lives of your wonderful horses. I can’t wait to return.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

Who knew that horseback riding in the Scottish Highlands would be a life changing event?
Thanks to the capable hands of Graham and Jan, our trip became a magical journey into the romantic mists of the lochs and winding paths among the moors.
Our hosts, and our riding guides Dom and Tez, took compassionate care of our trusty steeds. Our lovely horses were beautiful clearly loved and well attended.
As part of their humanitarian mission, we bonded effortlessly as a group, riders and horses and guides.
A couple of fellow travelers who met on this magnificent journey are currently planning another tour. And I am going to further my knowledge of riding by taking lessons at home.
Jan and Graham are just the kindest, wittiest, well informed, historically and culturally adept guides ever.
Moreover, my son, the lone Male on this excursion, was delighted to bond with Graham who took him under his wing, and regaled him with colorful anecdotes.
Highlands Unbridled is NOT to be missed.

Date of experience: June 2018