“Reminds me of my 100-year old grandmother's house”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Alexandra Hotel

Alexandra Hotel
Ranked #20 of 22 Hotels in Weymouth
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,067 helpful votes
“Reminds me of my 100-year old grandmother's house”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

If you're lucky enough to have a gran who grew up in the 1920s, and she's lucky enough to still be able to fend for herself at such a great age, this hotel is a collection of the types of things you might commonly associate with said grandmother's residence.

This could potentially be a gem. The location is hard to grumble about but the rooms - in the words of the incredibly irritating football pundit, Ray Wilkins, "my word". The mattress is the width of a six inch subway with the comfort factor of a bed of nails. There is, however, a very cute attempt at clawing back some brownie points. A flat screen telly. Yes. A whole 14-inches of flat screen heaven is about the only thing that attempts to bring this above water.

Speaking of water...the bathroom. There's a bath but strangely no shower- just some silly thing u stick over the hot and cold taps to mimic a shower- this isn't safe and doesn't do a great job, I can vouch for that because the cold plug fell off the cold tap while the hot plug remained attached to the hot tap and I burnt may bollocks.

Elsewhere, the room is littered with peeling patches of ceiling, a few faulty fittings here and there and general signs of mould and depreciation. To be honest, most travelodges takes a ribbing but all travelodges- I guarantee you- are better quality than this.

Hotel is appropriate for those on a stag weekend who believe they will wet the bed or end up spewing they're guts.

Hotel is not appropriate for couples hoping for a bit of luxury- none found here- or those who value their sleep.

All in all, great location, reasonable price (cheaper than it's counterparts) and friendly staff. But that's not enough to sway opinion here.

Two-star. Avoid.

• Stayed July 2014
2032 Thank Kevin W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Yateley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Just returned from 2 nights at Alexandra's. Situated on The Esplanade in one of the best locations in Weymouth. Opposite the children's funfair (closes at 10pm), overlooking the beach, close to the harbour, shops and bars but away from the noise.
We had booked a double and a twin but upon arrival were given a choice of 3 rooms - 2 large family rooms, each with a double and single bed and a smallish sea-view double. All were en-suite with king-size doubles. We chose 1 of the rear facing family rooms and the double with an excellent sea-view.
Alexandra's has a very attracted breakfast room and lounge with a bar. Also free, secure, on-site parking and wi-fi. All areas were very clean though the bedrooms a little basic but everything required is provided and with the very comfortable beds, it was all that we needed.
With friendly hosts, superb location, parking and very attractive rates, we are looking forward to a return.

Room Tip: Once parked, the car stays there until you leave. This suited us perfectly but perhaps not everyone.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank bparkercars
Mitcham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Very dated very old, needs to up date into 2014,the decor is shabby, don't they know there is professional painters & decorators,this was not homely nor was it family hotel, it was a 2 star b&b, the owners was rude, there car park was great,but we were told that we weren't allowed to take our own car out once it was in, cos they said that we would be blocked in by other cars, there was no more than 4 cars in the car park, as they were not full. Food was hot but NO choise , there were 2 of us, and that's what we got 2 napkins 2 butters, 2 jams,I asked for fryed bread with fryed eggs,I was told NO don't do that. Well I thought I was coming to a hotel not a 2 star b&b. I have been to many b&b and hotels and this is at the BOTTOM of my list,main reason they weren't or was not accommodating, good luck for the furture

• Stayed July 2014
58 Thank Lukebea
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

There is much to like in this sea front hotel. Nice sea views, good lcd tv in rooms and excellent wi Fi throughout and if you have a car free car parking. I have a feeling if I was 10 years older than my 50 + and with a car I would really like the homely atmosphere. This is my polite way of saying that good as LCD and wi Fi is some further modernising would not go amiss to match the hotel price point.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
11 Thank Gortinboy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I was there several times: friendly cheap clean and near to everything
Room are spacious and there's a very good wifi and a desk, so it's also a good hotel for a business trip
I'm a single professional so must of the time I stay in room #6, seafront view and spacious and quite nighttime (which is not so easy in weymouth)
The only drawback, especially if you are in a business trip, is the very loud and annoying merry-go-around on the other side of the street, but if you are in weymouth to relax and enjoy a break you won't probably notice it (and it's not an hotel fault of course)
There's a private parking on the back of the hotel and the breakfast is excellent too.
Defly my favourite place in town and I'd recommend to anyone

Room Tip: Incredible value for money!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Massimo D
Plymouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Retired now but for many years I have stayed in hotels all over the country and abroad. I have stayed in some really different places. Lorry stops up to the Dorchester. Flash and very massive USA hotels, little back water motels, the gambit. What you pay for is what you should get.

So last minute booking, weather looked great and Weymouth I have loved since a small child. Was getting pretty busy on the bookings in Weymouth and we were having trouble finding somewhere. Not realising that this was the very hotel we stayed in on our honeymoon, they still had a place for nights. Was really pleased that we were able to park there.

We were given a sea view room at no extra. Hair dryer, tea and coffee was provided and it was a family room. Very clean and comfortable. OK, the updating bit may be of notice but it didn`t spoil our stay. Very nice lounge to relax in also.

The situation of the place is really good. Very handy for eateries and pubs and right by the beach and harbour.

Sue served a very decent breakfast and was OK if people wanted to change their order around. Plenty of toast to go with it. We both were pretty much in and out of the place. We like to relax and read in the afternoon later on and get ready for a meal out. Decent TV was provided.

At 70 pound a night, free parking , it was on a par very much with the going price. In fact at the lower end. We are going back again quite soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GandAPlymouth
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Because my usual place to stay was fully booked my partner searched around and booked the Alexandra hotel.
I thought the price payed was quite high for room only so was disappointed with the value of the deal.
On arrival we were told that as longer staying guests we had been given a family room. This consisted of a double sized room with a double and single bed. The single bed was positioned across the window so we were not able to sit and take in the limited sea view. The room was tired looking and need to be brightened up.
Initially I was disappointed, however my view started to change as the holiday progressed.
The position of the hotel was very good. Near to the town centre, near to the harbour area and close to the beach.
The hotel did have free car parking although it seems at peak times getting in and out may require some forward planning. Best to book this in advance.
As we were near the town there was no shortage of place's close by that did breakfast.
The cheapest cooked breakfast we found was £2.25 but add on toast and tea and it starts to rise, but still good value. The advantage of eating breakfast out is your not governed by breakfast times, so if on holiday and you want a lay in you can have one without missing breakfast. We found this much better.
So here's your choice, room only in a tired room, with free parking ( if you've been to Weymouth before you will know how painful parking can be in both finding a spot and then paying a high price for it ) and in a very good position or a Bed AND Breakfast place where your tired to times and may have to find your own parking place.
We may in the future decide not to have a B & B but bed only if in a place like Weymouth as this really did suit us.
Would we stay here again. If we could get a little of the price then Yes we probably would.

Room Tip: Book parking in advance. Book direct with the hotel, in may work out cheaper.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple