“Handy Hotel for the Sea Front”
Review of The Richmoor Hotel

The Richmoor Hotel
Ranked #124 of 166 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Small comfortable hotel right on the sea front in Weymouth. Parking would be a big problem in the summer season. My room was unfortunately on the top floor and the lift only went up to the second floor.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Having purchased 2 nights at the Richmoor Hotel for my parents I am sorry to report that they had a terrible experience there.
They arrived on a Tuesday and were treated as an inconvenience due to a bus party that had just arrived.
The Hotel was so run down, the restaurant was in a dingy basement and the staff were so rude (particularly the owner's son) that they left on the Wednesday and did not have a second night there even though I had paid the amount of £120 for the 2 nights.
They had to pay a further £120 to stay in another hotel.
Avoid, avoid!

8  Thank Gemma H
Reviewed 24 April 2014

I wish i had paid better attention to the reviews. Not looking back the only ones that rated it highly are those that got discounts or groupon deals and didnt pay much so didnt expect much.

We booked their best room and what a disappointment.

Bed: we had a full size (too small for two) and a single in the room. I had to sleep in the twin/single as the main bed was too small for two. But much worse, you could feel the springs in both.
Heater: none, we froze.

Water pressure close to none, couldnt shower

Wifi: not available in our room, our own friends room either (so wasnt isolate case)
Tv: 17-19 inch - we thought it was too small.

Price: we paid 119 and would not pay more than 39 for this.
Breakfast: only from 8. Our ferry was at 830 so we didnt get a chance to "taste" it.

Lift only goes to second floor
Blinds are see through, so we were up at 6.

They accepted pets which was the only plus. We would not recommend to stay there unless you have no other options.

I would have asked for a discount but there was no one there when we checked out. Probably worst hotel (for the price) ive been to in years. (I spend 30+nights in hotels a year), and it was so bad, it made me write my first review on Trip advisor.

you've been warned.

Room Tip: Dont book one.
5  Thank Steven H
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Asked to pay before seeing our room. £1 charge for using a debit card, no complimentary toiletries apart from a small piece of soap. Showers very poor, either freezing cold or scorching hot and the water only dribbles out. The buffet breakfast was good although we were only given tea plates to put it on. On the good side its in a good location and the serving staff are very friendly. We had three rooms and wont be returning to the Richmore

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Jo N
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Having just stayed at the Richmoor Hotel in Weymouth for an Easter break, I would like to share my experience.

Good points:
Great location within easy walking distance to the town and overlooking the sea front.
Good quality and reasonably priced food.
Good interaction with the younger members of staff (Ricky, Shane) who were friendly and welcoming.

Bad points:
Two of our party had to change rooms during our stay as Lorraine (proprietor) advised there had been a problem with the online booking system but she would compensate us for the inconvenience with a complimentary drink. (No complimentary drink offered during our stay despite raising this with her and being told “I never said that”).
Overpowering smell of burnt fat throughout the hotel. My husband is an engineer and believed it was due to inadequate extraction in the kitchen. Very off-putting.
A hair was found in the sugar bowl on our table and also on a piece of toast and when informing our waiter, was asked if we were sure it wasn’t one of ours (although maybe he was joking, but can’t be certain).
Cramped bedroom (although clean).
No toiletries, except a very small piece of complimentary soap.
Miniscule ‘bath towels’.
Inconsistency with the shower temperature. On our first morning there was no hot water from the shower (in any of the rooms we booked) which resulted in none of our party of seven being able to shower. Upon raising our concerns with the proprietor (who, rather than apologise said “I’ve got so much to do”) addressed the issue by sending an engineer to our rooms but the shower then went from cold to scalding hot which was very dangerous! Later that evening we were informed that if our shower didn’t work properly the next morning, they had other rooms available within the hotel on lower floors that we could use but we didn’t fancy walking through the hotel corridors in our dressing gowns with our towels under our arms when hot running water is quite a basic requirement for most people!
The car park is no more than a side ally and you are obliged to leave your car keys with reception as you have to double park. On street parking is available if you are lucky enough to find a space, especially on a Bank Holiday weekend, but the hotel will issue you with a parking permit.
The hotel website advises that they have one of the cheapest bars in Weymouth, however, we were charged £1 for a glass of carbonated water albeit this was removed from our bill when queried.
Being made to pay in full, on arrival for our stay. Most hotels (even in London) only take a credit card swipe as security and then charge your card on departure.

Overall:
We won’t be staying at the Richmoor Hotel again even if the above issues are dealt with.
This hotel is currently classed as a 3-4 star hotel but quite honestly it is no more than a 2-3 star bed and breakfast and their tariff should reflect this.
The proprietor needs to stand back and objectively look at what she is offering for the prices she is charging as with a few changes, she could make this a pleasant place to stay.
WISH I’D READ THE REVIEWS FOR THIS HOTEL PRIOR TO BOOKING!

Room Tip: Book elsewhere!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
6  Thank Cazastan
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Some of staff very good especially Ricky with our breakfast very attentive, Shane very good made us very welcome. I am glad my husband up graded to a lovely sea view. Can't complain about breakfast plenty there, you could have had seconds. Just think the hotel is a bit tired. I wasn't happy to come back after being out for several hours to find my bed was not made & my bin was not empty. Apart from that if I'm in Weymouth and the price is right i we would stay again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view
Reviewed 20 April 2014

"I thought it was a bad joke"

You will find Richmoor on the list of hotels you would never want to go back to.
And I will explain why:
Starting with location- yeah, it's by the ocean, but if you stay in Weymouth I would recommend hotel by the harbour.
The hotel claims to have wifi, but even though my room (105) was on the first floor, I still couldn't get any signal.
Breakfast is served between 8-10. So if you need to take the 8:30 ferry, you can forgot about claiming your "included breakfast".
I booked the single room which was a size of single bed room. I have stayed in many hotels (guests house, dorms...) in my life, but this one was the smallest room I have ever seen or been in.
There was hot water in the shower but no water pressure, so there go the fantasy of having decent shower.
Bed was not comfortable as you could feel the springs. I can still feel it actually while writing this.
Heating didn't work so I was frozen all night.
Thanks to the see through curtains I woke up at 6am when the light hit my window.

The only good thing about the hotel and I have to give them the credit for Is that it's a dog friendly hotel with no extra charge for the dog.

To summarize all- for £50-£110 you can find much much much better hotels in Weymouth. Don't bother staying there, even if it's just one night.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo