“Very average”

Price range: US$5 - US$12
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The fish was lovely however the pork and chicken waere very bland, cold and there was not much if it. The cheese cake was nice but the apple pie was apaling, rubbery and tasteless. I didn't eat it. Puddings were basically microwaved from frozen. Not recommended!!

Nick C, Manager at Criterion, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you thought the pork and chicken were tasteless. I assume you had the chicken casserole, which has mixed herbs on the skin and served in a casserole sauce which has plenty of vegetables and flavours in it, I will look into asking the chef to add more stock from now on.
Our cheesecake is home made and so is the apple pie, unfortunately if not served straight away the pastry on it does go a little soft. I would have gladly given you a refund or exchange if you had mentioned it at the time.
On a positive note, I'm glad you enjoyed your fish and can only apologise for a less than perfect meal.

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I had a Veggie and Hubby a Mini Breakfast. Mine was ok for the money, no Veggie Sausage though. Hubby said his was ok but left the Sausage as it wasn't very nice. Very nice staff and friendly service.

Nick C, Manager at Criterion, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Thank you for your honest and helpful review. I can now confirm that the veggie breakfast includes a vegetarian sausage now. I had been deliberating it for a while and felt it was lacking one. We do find our pork sausages cook and taste nice as they are very rarely left, so I am sorry your husband didn't like his. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Used this restaurant on several occasions during week 7th to 13thm June 2014.
excellent well cooked food served by friendly staff. Good value for money with
a well filled plate.

highly reccomended

Reviewed 13 June 2014

had a delicious cream tea this afternoon with homemade freshly cooked scone was given choice of plain,fruit or cherry , staff was very freindly and when brought to our table was very well presented on a tray , will be back for more

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Not exactly expensive, but compared to other comparable businesses in close proximity, not as good value for money at all. Very basic canteen-like set up (which is a shame as with a refurb could be lovely, as it's a very old building). Food is pretty basic, unexciting & not great price wise (as you can get a gorgeous steak around the corner for not much more than a full breakfast costs here!). However, the food was cooked nicely & went down well... and they serve tea & coffee in mugs if you wish (a big plus point for us)!
BUT... A Massive gripe for me (which I should have remembered from a previous visit years ago... but didn't!) is that there is no ground floor toilet for people with disabilities, and my daughter is a wheelchair user :( We negotiated the stairs carefully... BEWARE...they are steep, winding & narrow in places , and we are talking LOTS of stairs, as the toilet is on the third floor (or possibly even higher I think?)... My daughter in law reckons there were 42 stairs including those within the actual restaurant!! Not good enough in times where there are supposed to be adequate facilities for all. This is totally inadequate. I'm sure it's to do with the age of the building, and maybe they're not allowed to make structural changes... but whatever the reason, it's more than difficult for folks with mobility issues. I would not return here purely for that reason.

1  Thank WanderingMooo
squirrelx, Owner at Criterion, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you found our food to be well cooked and went down well with your family.
Regarding your difficulty in accessing our Toilets unfortunately as the Criterion is a Grade 2 listed building with windows on both front and rear elevations Weymouth Council decided that it would not be possible to install a Toilet at ground floor level..
Disabled Toilets are available on the Esplanade a short distance from the Restaurant.