“Don't stay here !!!”

Ranked #54 of 165 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Oxford
“Don't stay here !!!”
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Had stayed before but accommodation was deteriorating. Stayed for a long weekend and was told that the front doors didn't lock properly. (Turned out it had been like this for weeks!). Room doors didn't lock properly and owner seemed to like a drink (a little too much).

Was woken at 3 am by a man standing in my room (with a girl outside in the hall). Had got in off the street. Asked him to leave then tried to contact the owner. Phone had been disconnected. Tried calling the place's outside line and the man who was in my room answered the phone!! I called the Police who investigated it and after the man said he was looking for his room they called it civil trespass! The following morning was advised that the man had no room at the hotel and had walked in off the street. The owner was apparently very unhappy that I called the Police.

What was I expected to do being a single woman in this situation. Unable to contact anyone at the hotel/guest house and unsure what his motives were

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank Poppy123Oxford
chatsworthpolly, Manager at The Chatsworth, responded to this review, 15 March 2011
So sorry your stay at the chatsworth was such a bad expierience , the hotel is now under new management, and has gone through major restructering and much refurbishment so that no one has to endure the treatment that you unfourtunately recieved

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Arabic first
Surrey
Reviewed 22 April 2010

We booked this hotel after seeing how good it looked on the internet to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was awful and I just cried. Obviously we didn't stay there, the Tourist Information Centre found us somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HolidaySurrey
Hampshire
Reviewed 19 September 2009

I booked a last minute weekend in Weymouth for my wife and I and our 5 year old son. A quick look on the web showed this hotel and, from their web site and claim of Tourist Board status, it looked attractive and nice.

The place is in fact a complete dump. It cost me more than £100/per night, and although the location is good, the hotel is disgusting. The carpets were filthy, the room had furniture in it that looked like something that a clearance shop would not be able to sell. The room was dirty and the bathroom was awful. Mould in the shower at a level that would not be accepted in a student flat.

In the morning I noticed that the clean towels were in a pile on the floor in the corridor (happily sitting on that disgusting carpet).

I would not recommend this to my worst enemy. I stay in a lot of hotels and for far less money you can get something so much better. Steer well clear.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Senpuk
Surrey
Reviewed 1 September 2009

Stayed at this 'hotel' in August 09 and was shocked at what a filthy, smelly and tired place it was. I booked it having seen the website which looks great but the reality is completely different.

It is overpriced, the room was tiny, dirty and tatty (i.e. mould in the shower, a general damp smell in the bathroom, towels like cardboard). During the night an extremely annoying rattling noise from the pipes in the walls kept me awake. Breakfast was not much better, served on stained old white plates and crockery. I noted a certificate on the wall stating the kitchens had achieved only a 'bronze' standard rating by the local council - for me this is not good enough, how hard can it be to maintain a clean kitchen?

The website does not reflect the hotel which is very misleading and unfair. Would not recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keithington
wales
Reviewed 25 August 2009

After reading their advert on the Chatsworth website my husband and I decided to go and stay there for two nights thinking how nice it had looked. How wrong we were. When we got there we were shocked to see how it looked it was nothing like theie advert. The carpets were dirty and stained right through the hotel. as were the wall, there was a strong smell of smoke comming from the bedrooms. Our room was number 7 right at the top of the hotel, we couldn't believe what we saw when we opened the door. The carpet and walls were even more stained and dirty than the rest of the hotel the wall paper was peeling of in parts, the bedding was grubby and marked and smelt stale as did the room. There was a hospitality tray that looked as if it hadnt been washed in months. The curtains hung down in parts. The bathroom was even worse it smelt damp had mould growing up the tiles, hair in the shower tray and all over the bathroom floor. The towels which should have been white were gray and worn out.and there was no hot water to shower even if you had wanted one. It was awful! The only good thing about this hotel is the view from the back windows of the harbour. I wouldn't allow my dogs to stay here and don't know how they get awy with their website. They should be ashamed of themselves giving false impressions of the hotel and ruining peoples holidays. By the way we only stayed the one night after.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple