“Coeliac friendly Hotel - Good food.”
Review of The Berkeley Hotel

The Berkeley Hotel
Ranked #140 of 166 Weymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We had a good weekend break (22/24 Sept) at the Berkeley Hotel with Harry Shaw, with a good welcome on arrival given the keys and cases were put in your room very quickly.
All areas and rooms were in good condition (they were redecorated towards to end of last Year). Meal times are: Breakfast 8:30 am and Dinner at 6 pm, the dining area and Bar/entertaining are on the lower ground floor.
Breakfast was very good with good selections and was served hot, some waitress's had gloves on as the plate and food was hot. You were asked to tell your waiter what you wanted for evening meal (Menu is on the table when you sat down), and at evening meal again you were asked what you wanted for Breakfast.
As I am a Coeliac, - Gluten free food, the Hotel catered very well - I just brought my own bread for toasting and frying which they did. They have Gluten free soups and gravy which was very good, all the waiters knew I was a Coeliac (had been briefed by management - as they knew at time of booking). Waiter staff greeted you before you sat down, at all times - Breakfast / Dinner. When going through the Menu they told me what I could not have...as a Coeliac, but gave you other options.
The food was cooked to perfection and during the meal they came around with any extras if you needed any more.
The service in the Dining room was spot on, very well organised, the best porridge I have eaten, when I asked about the Gluten Free, they use Heinz Gluten Free soups and Morrison's Gluten Free porridge. The Waiters said that they have a few people each week which need Gluten Free food and are well conversed with their needs.
Make sure you tell the Hotel of your needs etc at time of booking or your travel agent.
Our room (1) was on the ground floor it had high ceiling ample cupboard space, tea maker, hair drier. TV. Bathroom was clean and had a shower. The room was a few steps away to the stairs down to the Dinning room, the room was clean and was the linen, beds were nice & comfy had good nights sleep, room had neutral Décor.
Room was warm as the Kitchen was nearly underneath... there is a Kitchen Ventilation fan which comes on just before meal times for a short time which you can hear. The lift is next door, again you can just hear a hum when it is use, did not really notice it, even in the late evening.
Shops were about 5 minutes walk away, and the beach just over the road. There is a small Café close by, the owners moved from Earlsdon in Coventry to Weymouth last year to set up the 123 Café - they will welcome anybody from Coventry to call in.

Yes, we will be back, next time for a longer stay - could not fault the service, food or the Hotel, many people in coach party also said that!!

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 7 are closest to the Dining room. - Down the stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Radioham16

Reviewed 29 August 2012

My partner and I went on a Harry Shaw coach trip to this hotel Bank Holiday weekend. We had a room with a seaview - which was lovely with beautiful views across the bay - we found the staff to be very helpful and couldn't do enough for us-the food was excellent

I didnt want to leave on the Sunday could have stopped the week

I recommend this hotel

Room Tip: seaview rooms excellent
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We enjoyed our 1 night stay at the Berkeley Hotel, it is right on the seafront and has stunning views of Weymouth Bay.
However - I would say this Hotel is more like a Guest House, our room was spacious and clean (with hair dryer, tea/coffee/biscuits, tv, shamoo/shower gel in the bathroom).
I cannot rate the food as we ate out and missed breakfast which is served at 8.30am.
The staff seemed friendly enough, there is a bell to ring at reception and we were never kept waiting for more than a few seconds.
I did notice there were no door hangers to say whether you wanted room service or not, the maid just walked straight into our room at approx 8am (without knocking but did apologise), I think it would be a good idea to have these, I think this is the first hotel I have stayed at where they have not had them.
The hallways/lift could do with a bit of refurbishment, seemed quite 'shabby' and dark but I have no complaints about this hotel and would consider staying again if I was in the area. Ideal for a 1 night stay, would probably go else-where if it was for longer.
Location is very good, only a 2-3 minute walk into town.

Room Tip: ask for a sea-view room!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rebekah W
Reviewed 30 June 2012

me and my sister have just returned from taking my mum to the veterans week and stayed at the berkley and l must say they could not have done more for us. Lovely big room with sea view yes there was scaffolding up due to some repairs been made( no fault of the hotel) but you only had to step out the front door to take the lovely seaa view the staff were very accomodating rooms cleaned every day, food was excellent plenty of choice and nothing was too much trouble, Waitresss service was great very polite and friendly l would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank barnsley09
Reviewed 24 April 2012

just returned from a 4day coach break at this b/b, hotel it is not.In much need of a major refurbishment ,arrived on the first day to be met by scaffolding on the front .the room i was allocated was no.8 this room was a nightmare as you can hear the music from the berkeley and the norfolk b/b next door ,also the front window had been smashed and taped up,there was noise from people standing out side the norfolk smoking and talking till the early hours .the next day i asked the uncaring manager if i could be moved.his response was (actual words were you dont come on holiday to go to bed early) sorry but no.i felt sorry for the serving staff as they can only serve what they are given.(A TIP GO TO BOOTS FOR EAR PLUGS).

Room Tip: avoid room 8 at all costs
5  Thank lisamel_10
Reviewed 24 April 2012

this was our first stay in weymouth,and i must say we were very pleased with the hotel,it was very clean, and the staff were all very friendly and helpful, the food was excellent,the only gripe was that the television in our room was old and was suffering from the recent change to digital,but it did`nt spoil our stay, we travelled by coach,and by speaking to the other passengers, they too enjoyed it.

3  Thank jean161140
Reviewed 15 April 2012

We stayed at the hotel with a coach party. We found the staff all to be lovely, entertainment good, rooms clean, maybe a bit on the small side, lovely food, great views overlooking the sea.
Would definately go back soon.

3  Thank Alison B