“water garden”

Bennetts Water Gardens
Ranked #22 of 72 things to do in Weymouth
More attraction details
Owner description: Set over 8 acres, these gardens hold the National Plant Collection of Water Lilies (flowering late May to September), Monet style Japanese Bridge, Tropical House, Woodland Walks and Museum.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase
Reviewed 6 June 2014

nice place to visit we wetre abit early in the year for the water lillies , am sure it is stunning in the summer

1  Thank sue_leach11
There are newer reviews for Bennetts Water Gardens

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Having read the reviews for this place we thought we would leave going until July but Sunday was such a beautiful day we decided to take a look.
Although a little pricey for what you get we both thought it well worth the money. No, not all the lilies were in flower but there was enough on display to satisfy us. It really is an oasis away from the hustle and bustle, tranquil and beautiful a haven for wildlife.
Lots of thoughtful seating is provided to help you take in the lakes and the views.
We were both enchanted (maybe the sunny day helped) so we have now bought a season ticket and can visit as many times as we like for a year.
Note, the attraction does not open on Saturdays as they use this day for weddings and events.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The water gardens are a wonderfully tranquil spot, despite a little road noise. As you wander around all the lakes, it is easy to forget how close to Weymouth you are. We went the third week in May and found a huge number of waterlilies and irises flowering. The setting is lovely with the gazebo and bridges (Monet -style) and there is also alot of wildlife too. It is paradise for photographers! I agree the entry fee is high - I forgot to use my 2 for 1 garden entry from Gardeners World, but I guess the family are trying to recoup the costs of such an extensive building programme from clay pits to beautiful water gardens. The cafe is also worth a visit for a cream tea!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

I went in May, which is probably not the best time as many of the lilies are not flowering yet - June, July and August seem to be the best months to go. Nevertheless this is a nationally important collection of water lilies - 140 varieties can be seen here - and other waterside plants, so if you have an interest in plants and gardens this should be on your list. It would combine well with a visit to the sub-Tropical Gardens at nearby Abbotsbury.

The Gardens include a café, which can be visited without entering the Gardens themselves. There is also a small 'Museum' with displays outlining the history of the Gardens, the nearby Fleet Lagoon and the village of Chickerell, which is mentioned in the Domesday book of 1086. Chickerell Army Camp was used for convalescence by injured Australian and New Zealand troops during the First World War and many ANZACs passed through its doors.

If coming by bus, bus 8 from Weymouth Town Centre and the epic long-distance X53 "Jurassic Coaster" stop at Chickerell Army Camp, from where it is a short walk to the Gardens; follow the brown signs.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Reviews don't lie, I checked reviews before visiting with my parents so went with some trepidation but decided I would take them in despite the cost as it was on me!
We went to the Café first for some lunch, this is accessible without paying and you get to see the main pond through the large windows. I would definitely suggest doing this, have a coffee and check to see if the lillies are in full flower and plentiful. The walk round the gardens only takes around 50-60 mins, the museum maybe a bit dated but there are some interesting things to see.
If you don't see any lillies, whilst having your coffee, or only a few I would say paying the entrance fee is not worth it, so pay for your coffee and leave. Probably best to visit in June or July on sunny days.

1  Thank sejambi