“Just alright”

Sense
Price range: US$4 - US$26
Cuisines: European, British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Sense has been established now for five years and continues to be popular choice for individual dining and groups with a capacity of 118 people at any one time. you are advised to reserve your table(s)as early as possible to ensure the date you require. the restaurant is air-conditioned throughout and the floor beautifully tiled in similar style as is the trend abroad. lighting is exquisite, especially the wall fittings that disperse beams of light both upwards and downwards.LOCAL AND FRESHThere is always an extensive choice of meals and, in typical sense fashion, you,ll find the prices are as agreeable as the quality food for which sense has such a fine reputation. the chefs are great believers in bringing new choices to the day time and evening menus, while keeping the most popular dishes.Beside fine wines, favorite spirits, soft drinks, bottled beers and lagers, there is also choice of Draught beers.freshly-brewed coffees and teas always available throughout the day and evening.there is alsoCABARET EVENINGSBUSINESS LUNCHESBIRTHDAYSWEDDINGSWINE BAR you don't have to have a meal to enjoy the sense fine wines
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Booked a table for 7 people on a Saturday night, thought there might be problems getting a table but this place seemed only half full at most. Despite this the service seemed slow, we didn't experience hour long delays like some other reviewers but the wait between the mains and dessert was noticeable - 30 minutes or so.

The food was acceptable, the portion sizes seemed on the small side and bulked up with lettuce. It seemed odd having lettuce with every single dish...especially the thai curry, 1/3 of the bowl being lettuce.

Some of the others had the lamb, seemingly it was rather chewy. Personally I had the seabass and I must say I've had better elsewhere. Nothing particularly wrong with it, it just seemed to be lacking in flavour a little.

I've been told to highlight the bruschetta, it was essentially just ciabatta bread with goats cheese and a small cut up tomato on it. No oil on the bread, barely any tomato, no rocket on the bread, the bread wasn't toasted and like every dish - it came with a pile of lettuce on the side.

The staff were very pleasant, the young man that primarily looked after us was very polite and even offered a taster of the soup as one of our group was unsure about the watercress soup. If only they weren't so rushed, I only noticed 2 waiters and 1 barmaid. I understand it's hard to get the balance right between being over and under staffed at peak times but Sense seems way off. Judging by other reviews, they're losing custom over it.

A prime example is that someone ordered a blue cheese sauce with the steak as a main, yet the sauce arrived after everyone else finished their mains. Apparently it wasn't worth the wait either, just seemed a plain old non-blue cheese sauce.

In my opinion, the prices are a little expensive for the small portion sizes. It's sad to see this place half empty on such a peak night. With Mambos and The Dining Room right on the doorstep, Sense needs to really up their game to compete. I don't think we'd go back as it stands, maybe on a mid-week special offer or something.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Decided to pop in for an evening meal... Lovely!.. Great service and a lovely fillet steak. Front of house was great too.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

A meal for self and several friends on a Saturday evening. It was busy, we had a table booked. We were seated and given menus then waited 10 to 15 minutes before our order was taken for food and wine, there was no water on the table, we had to ask for that. We then waited a full hour for our starters. I had a mezze platter which was a few scraps of spiced sausage and ham with a smattering of salad and Cheddar cheese. This seemed odd but tasted ok. Another 3/4 hour wait for our main courses, which in some cases arrived incomplete and mushrooms and sauces had to be asked for! I had rump of lamb which I had ordered rare. It arrived far more cooked than that, medium well I would say. I pointed this out to the waiter and he went to the kitchen and ordered another. 5-10 minutes later 2 pieces of sirloin steak arrived. I can taste the difference as could many of us. When telling the waiter he assured me that it was lamb I was amazed, really amazed! I was not going to let this escalate as it was a birthday celebration and did't want to create a poor atmosphere. To there credit we had a round of drinks on the house, but what we had really wanted was good food served without a long delay.
From where we were seated I could see into the kitchen where the chef was was wearing a t shirt with the restaurant name on it. It seemed clean, but proper chefs whites are somehow more assuring. If we had been told that there was likely to be a long delay for food, perhaps due to some staff shortage, then waiting would have been slightly more acceptable. As this was not offered then the delays for food can only be due to inefficiency. None of us were impressed, some found the food acceptable. I don't think any of us will be back soon.

Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Can in for a meal Wednesday night, and it was amazing, we had the squid and meat balls to start which were brilliant, the meat balls were the best we've ever had and that sauce to accompany them was lovely. Only bad point with the starters was there was no dressing in the salad. For mains we had the chicken penne pasta and 16oz rump steak. Both again were perfect the steak came medium which was just right and the pasta was lovely. The price of the meal was good too, all that and two drinks each came to £40, was expecting to spend a lot more. All in all it was a perfect night, we would highly recomend this place to anyone

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We enjoyed our evening at Sense. The food was tasty and well presented with a varied choice and very reasonably priced. Service was good considering they were busy. Slightly away from the hustle and bustle of the harbour but close enough for a pleasant after dinner stroll. Good value for money.